Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IFG sneak peek

Kamkaze

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Fasthenk65 said:

Doesn't make sense? I expect a production gun with bull barrel... what else can it be?

How I see it.

It has a black sight like a standard model

Frame drilled for optic rail like limited custom

Slide and barrel of a limited custom

Rail like stock 3

Anyway it’s all guessing what the deal is.

if it’s a production model I’ll be interested.

17 hours ago, Fasthenk65 said:

Doesn't make sense? I expect a production gun with bull barrel... what else can it be?

A 9mm limited custom with the extra weight of a rail and other doodads might make sense.

For 3-gun. There are other sports out there. ;) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

16 hours ago, Rudukai13 said:

Hold on, a Tanfoglio with an optic rail and drilled for an optic mount?

If it's compatible with the Gold Team compensated slide assembly, I'm about to have to spend a lot of money...

It is (will be) as large frame stuff swaps around with ease.

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

And now we know. Lightened slide, that mass moved to the frame via the addition of a rail, etc.

Sell your Stock 2s, or come in last. 

Your choice.

I'm switching back to production!

I would like to shoot one of these!

So the circle is coming around, lightened slides must mean less recoil and heavier guns may not be all they are cracked up to be?

I haven’t mastered my current tools, TF S2, yet so I’m betting I’d see zero difference in my scores with these new ones. 

But, if it were starting out, just maybe this would be the way to go. I wonder how the stock trigger is and will it take the normal TF polishing and upgraded parts to make this a smooth operator?

I still really love the hard chrome finish on the S2. 

38 minutes ago, HesedTech said:

So the circle is coming around, lightened slides must mean less recoil and heavier guns may not be all they are cracked up to be?

Lightened slides shoot flatter. But have more recoil. Or more precisely, they have a snappier recoil impulse.

I can verify this based upon my Swiss Cheese PPQ I run in Crappy Optics, with 3oz missing from the slide. A bill drill happens with the dot spending a lot more time in the window than my buddies’ X5, but it feels like it has twice the recoil, and even with a tungsten-filled backstrap the gun is only 26 ounces.

FD0C3F8D-EDE1-4666-B4A4-D3C7274D6A49.thumb.jpeg.778b88e69a67fa3aafaf5caad39e1019.jpeg

Lots of guys get that slide weight thing mixed up. They want a soft shooting gun. Soft doesn’t matter: how flat it shoots is what matters. How easily the sights can be tracked at speed.

I haven’t mastered my current tools, TF S2, yet so I’m betting I’d see zero difference in my scores with these new ones. 

Difference versus a Stock 2? Almost exactly nothing.

But they had to do something to steal some of the market back from the vast majority of guys who are choosing the Shadow 2 when ditching their plastic guns. 

Catering to things which are percieved as being better, and thus they have to be.

But, if it were starting out, just maybe this would be the way to go. I wonder how the stock trigger is and will it take the normal TF polishing and upgraded parts to make this a smooth operator?

I am quite certain that it will take every bit as much work, based upon Tanfo’s extensive track record.

It does look cool though and cool factor is a part of the game. That’s why I have the cool Henning grips rather than just gluing some texture on the wood ones that come with the TF. My excuse is, it would have been a shame to deface the beauty of those fine Italian wood grips.

Seriously, coming from a sports background where we would lighten all the rotational parts for one main reason, acceleration. It takes less energy to accelerate a light part over a heavier one and that’s probably why the recoil is higher and the gun stays flatter.

Same with the physics of a lighter recoil spring, one the slide begins to move with less energy and when it returns there is less energy moving the mass of the slide.  To make it run flatter reduce both the weight (mass) and the energy required to move it (spring).

And you all thought that physics class was worthless in school.  🙄

What a great past time.

3 hours ago, HesedTech said:

It does look cool though and cool factor is a part of the game. That’s why I have the cool Henning grips rather than just gluing some texture on the wood ones that come with the TF. My excuse is, it would have been a shame to deface the beauty of those fine Italian wood grips.

Seriously, coming from a sports background where we would lighten all the rotational parts for one main reason, acceleration. It takes less energy to accelerate a light part over a heavier one and that’s probably why the recoil is higher and the gun stays flatter.

Same with the physics of a lighter recoil spring, one the slide begins to move with less energy and when it returns there is less energy moving the mass of the slide.  To make it run flatter reduce both the weight (mass) and the energy required to move it (spring).

And you all thought that physics class was worthless in school.  🙄

What a great past time.

Looks are highly subjective.  I think slides with windows, ports, etc look goofy as hell.

14 hours ago, goshimu said:

good choice to get the same barrel length as an AUS stock 2 plus the benefits of a rail and the limited custom slide and frame mounting points.

Very cool. Might be a US only model which is a shame.

I hope not... why should they have all the fun 🙂 Nice Tanfo!

Now get rid of the tolerance differences and come with a Shadow like trigger please!

@Fasthenk65 honestly the appeal of a Tanfo over a CZ is the badge of mechnical competence that comes with running a flawless one at a match with a great trigger.

You do that, and everyone knows you’re more mechanically inclined than a Shadow 2 owner. :D And M&P shooters? We’re surprised when their shoes stay tied for the duration of the match. They can barely work the knots, after all.