Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Opening up SP-01 internal magwell?

regor

I just noticed that Appendix D4 - Production Division of the 2019 USPSA rule book says:

22.4 Magwell Opening
No OFM or aftermarket external magwells.
Internal magwell dimensions may be increased.
Aftermarket external flaring is prohibited.
Markings inside the magwell are allowed.

I'm not sure if this is new to 2019 or if it was added. I know the internal markings allowed is new (or at least clarified), and I vaguely recall it previously being something along the mouth having to be withing some some measurement of the internal dimensions, so I think this is a change as well? 

In either case has anyone done this with an SP-01 and could post results or comment on whether it helped with reloads? I'm toying with the idea of maybe doing this and undercutting the trigger guard while I'm at it. Thoughts? 

I did mine with a Dremel sanding drum, round file, and then polished with high grit sandpaper paper. I just smoothed, rounded everything and got rid of any sharp angles.

I don't have a picture of how it was stock to compare.

No idea if it helps or not, but it doesn't hurt!
I didn't do undercuts as I didn't want to pay to have the gun refinished. 0c685d6ecc7b7da342dc58b7f2222641.jpg

On 1/5/2019 at 9:37 AM, DesertTortoise said:

I did mine with a Dremel sanding drum, round file, and then polished with high grit sandpaper paper. I just smoothed, rounded everything and got rid of any sharp angles.

I don't have a picture of how it was stock to compare.

No idea if it helps or not, but it doesn't hurt!
I didn't do undercuts as I didn't want to pay to have the gun refinished. 

Looks good, will probably give it a shot myself. The finish is the same thing keeping me back on the undercut. Maybe once I get enough holster wear to pass it off as character I'll give it a go. Maybe ours will even shoot against each other up her in the PNW ;)

On 1/6/2019 at 4:30 PM, regor said:

The finish is the same thing keeping me back on the undercut. Maybe once I get enough holster wear to pass it off as character I'll give it a go

We were able to do this sooner in CO ... just breaking the edge off the right side of the trigger guard has made it so much more comfortable to shoot - no more CZ knuckle on the side of my right middle finger. This eventually gets refinished but I'd shoot it just like this unfinished for the comfort. 

cz_trigger_guard.jpg

Edited by trgt