Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig P320x5 vs Canik TP9SFx

mich3210

Good Morning All!

Looking for some help here. I started shooting IDPA and Action Pistol last year with an H&K VP9. I did really well, and fell in love with the sport. I'm looking to take things to the next level and get a new firearm specifically for competition. I had the opportunity to shoot the following last night: XDm 5.25 Comp, M&P Pro, Glock 34, Walther PPQ M2, Canik TP9SF and Sig P320x5. 

Out of those that I shot, I shot the Canik and Sig the best. They had the tightest groups and they both felt the best in my hand. I was really surprised at how well the Canik felt and especially how well it shot. It was extremely accurate! The Sig seemed to eat up the recoil much better, most likely due to the heftier weight.

Now it comes down to making a decision, and I'm really torn on which direction to go. The price point of the Canik is very tempting, considering that I can get the gun and an optic for about the same price as just the Sig alone. I will be adding an optic to whichever one I get. If I go with the Sig I'll be topping it with a Romeo 1, if I go with the Canik I'll be topping it with a Vortex Venom. Either will be a 6MOA. 

I'd appreciate feedback from those of you that have experience with both of these guns.

I was in the same predicament a year ago. I ended up buying the X5 and I’m glad I did. It just feels better and shot accurately.

Sig just came out with a newer version of the X5 last month and the price for the older version is a lot less now. Check that out. I would also agree with a 6moa Romeo 1. The newer version of the Romeo 1 is apparently better and improved compared to the older version.

I installed a springer precision tungsten guide rod and use a 10# 1911 recoil spring on mine. This setup suits my loads pretty well.

Good luck.

3 minutes ago, George16 said:

I was in the same predicament a year ago. I ended up buying the X5 and I’m glad I did. It just feels better and shot accurately.

Sig just came out with a newer version of the X5 last month and the price for the older version is a lot less now. Check that out. I would also agree with a 6moa Romeo 1. The newer version of the Romeo 1 is apparently better and improved compared to the older version.

I installed a springer precision tungsten guide rod and use a 10# 1911 recoil spring on mine. This setup suits my loads pretty well.

Good luck.

Do you have a link you can share on this newer version of the X5? Is it the slide cutout for the optic to accept optics other than just the Romeo? Is there a different model # for this version? 

I called Sig to inquire about the newer version. Changes will be announced at SHOT Show in the coming weeks. It will have a new model number. They couldn't tell me what the changes would be, but they suggested I hold off on my purchase. I might wait a few weeks to see what changes are being made to this newer version, and see if the price of the older version drops.

If anyone else has experiences to share I'd welcome them. I'm not 100% sold on the Sig yet, and would like to hear from others if possible.

Thanks!

I’ve been waiting to see what this new X5 is all about as well. 

But it this new PPQ Q5 steel frame and Zev pistol are really interesting as well. 

But it this is just another example of how sig frustrates me. They are always updating things and coming out with new versions without much info. Parts never interchange, etc and it’s just a pain. 

I do actually, my sfx is more accurate with factory loads, and reloads. Mags are 25 bux compared to 50, 

sig 850$

canik 450$

Sold my x5 just for this reason. Plenty of videos to support this do a comparison canik wins hands down ! 

4 hours ago, mich3210 said:

Anyone else?

So far one recommendation for Canik and one for Sig.

Wish I could just buy both... but I can't. 

Have experience with both and would stick with the x5. I have said many times that I don't think you will find a polymer gun with less recoil. I think the Canik is a great gun for the money and would not fault anyone for using/buying one, but I just don't think it measures up to the x5.

based on past usage, i recently bought a canik sfx with the vortex viper.  this combo for me has been the easiest carry optics gun for picking up the dot.  better than the x5 and romeo and glock mos with trijicon, two other carry optics guns i've tried.  in slow fire i think the sfx is a little more accurate than the x5 but both are very accurate.  the stock trigger on the x5 is WAY better than the stocker on the sfx (WAY too much takeup).   with the grayguns trigger in the x5 and the freedomsmith racer in the sfx, they're both pretty close but i will still take my 2011 triggers any day.  the sfx fits pretty good in my glock 34/35 holsters.

I had an SFX. I now have the X5. I didn’t care for the grip on the SFX. Just didn’t fit my hand well. The small insert was too small, the others felt too big, just couldn’t get it right. It was 100% reliable, mags are easy to get to 23 rounds, lots of dot choices with the supplied plates. There is more support available now than when I had mine. 

The X5 grip fits my hand perfectly. The Gray Guns trigger is awesome. Less selection on dots, but I love the Romeo 1 6moa. If given these two choices, I’d take the X5. 

That at being said, the new Walther steel frame is interesting. Twice the price of an X5. Good prices are out there on the Sig right now. A like new one went on Gumbroker last week for $635. 

58 minutes ago, OPENB said:

I had an SFX. I now have the X5. I didn’t care for the grip on the SFX. Just didn’t fit my hand well. The small insert was too small, the others felt too big, just couldn’t get it right. It was 100% reliable, mags are easy to get to 23 rounds, lots of dot choices with the supplied plates. There is more support available now than when I had mine. 

The X5 grip fits my hand perfectly. The Gray Guns trigger is awesome. Less selection on dots, but I love the Romeo 1 6moa. If given these two choices, I’d take the X5. 

That at being said, the new Walther steel frame is interesting. Twice the price of an X5. Good prices are out there on the Sig right now. A like new one went on Gumbroker last week for $635. 

Which Gray Guns trigger did you go with, the PELT or Competition Trigger Kit? Have you done any other upgrades?

Competition. It was already in it when I bought it, used. I added a Romeo 1, Springer base pads & Grams kits to get 23 rounds. For CO, I’ve tried: Tanfo Limited Pro, Stock II, Glock 17 MOS, CZ Shadow, Canik TP9SFX, and the Sig. I really liked the steel guns, but it was a lot of work to get them set up and kept running. The Tanfos, I broke various springs, had to use Federal primers. The CZ was too small and cramped to me. The Glock trigger just sucked, even with a Johnny Glocks trigger. The Canik grip was weird to me, but the Sig has been 100%. I think I’ll stick with it, but I am still following the threads about the new LimPro. Glutton for punishment. 

Edited by OPENB

I prefer the X5 by a mile of the SFX.  There is far more aftermarket support for the X5. 
You want your X5 to max weight for CO, you can do that. 
Want to make it light again for steel challenge?  You can do that. 
Stock mag opening size? No question, X5.  

• 3 weeks later...

Canik SFX....I've tried a few additions simply becuse I'm a "tinkerer" and tried to make something good even better?. .  (Sprinco "white" recoil reducer, stripped & polished internals, Freedom Arms trigger, TF mag extentions,  6.5 Glock striker spring, 13# Glock recoil spring assembly, (which didn't always return to battery ) . The Canik SFX with the Vortex Venom 6 moa dot even in "stock" form is hard to beat!. (I like the Freedom trigger simply for the fact that it moves the take up and release forward rather than in it's stock configuration, (which isn't hard to get used to)...  

The Canik's are very well made and also very accurate right out of the box. 

After my attempt's to improve the SFX?????, I'm back to just a few modifications:. Added skateboard tape to the frame, ditched the Springco recoil assembly, (used the "stock" recoil assembly with 3/4 coils removed), kept the Freedom trigger and 6.5 Glock striker spring , use the TF mag extentions (22 rounds). I shoot only my reloaded ammo, 145 Acme RN x 3.2 x N 320 =130 PF.  (I shoot the same load in my Taccom 5' barreled PPC carbine ... ala, 2 for one load).

A fellow shooter has broken 2 striker pins (Century replaced free). He does an extreme amount of "dry firing",. That's the only functional complaint I've heard about with the Canik's...After hundreds of rounds fired, my Vortex hold down screws loosened and I had to retighten them slightly...

3 hours ago, mike NM said:

Canik SFX....I've tried a few additions simply becuse I'm a "tinkerer" and tried to make something good even better?. .  (Sprinco "white" recoil reducer, stripped & polished internals, Freedom Arms trigger, TF mag extentions,  6.5 Glock striker spring, 13# Glock recoil spring assembly, (which didn't always return to battery ) . The Canik SFX with the Vortex Venom 6 moa dot even in "stock" form is hard to beat!. (I like the Freedom trigger simply for the fact that it moves the take up and release forward rather than in it's stock configuration, (which isn't hard to get used to)...  

The Canik's are very well made and also very accurate right out of the box. 

After my attempt's to improve the SFX?????, I'm back to just a few modifications:. Added skateboard tape to the frame, ditched the Springco recoil assembly, (used the "stock" recoil assembly with 3/4 coils removed), kept the Freedom trigger and 6.5 Glock striker spring , use the TF mag extentions (22 rounds). I shoot only my reloaded ammo, 145 Acme RN x 3.2 x N 320 =130 PF.  (I shoot the same load in my Taccom 5' barreled PPC carbine ... ala, 2 for one load).

A fellow shooter has broken 2 striker pins (Century replaced free). He does an extreme amount of "dry firing",. That's the only functional complaint I've heard about with the Canik's...After hundreds of rounds fired, my Vortex hold down screws loosened and I had to retighten them slightly...

Thanks for your input. I ended up going with the X5 for a few various reasons. Still waiting for it to come in, but I've already got my Romeo1, Talon Grips, hole and mag pouches. 

On 1/4/2019 at 11:13 PM, mich3210 said:

Do you have first hand experience with both? Please support your claim. 

I own and have shot both in competition. The Canik is a much better buy and there is no discernible difference in shootability. Plus plan on spending two to three hundred dollars to buy 17 round mags and base pads for the X5.

5 hours ago, Jeff O said:

I own and have shot both in competition. The Canik is a much better buy and there is no discernible difference in shootability. Plus plan on spending two to three hundred dollars to buy 17 round mags and base pads for the X5.

I'm in NY, so I'm limited to 10 round mags. The X-Five that I bought comes with 4 10 round mags, so I'll only have to pick up one more. The 10 round version does not come with a magwell. So at this point in time I don't see a need for base pads either. That may change as I start shooting and competing with it though.

8 hours ago, Jeff O said:

Sorry, don't take communist jurisdictions into account. 😂

You're telling me... I'm outta here as soon as I can. Unfortunately, with 3 kids in school that's not going to happen anytime soon. 

Edited by mich3210

I’ve shot 8k+ thru my TP9SFx and may have cleaned it twice. It just flat out runs. I’ve never had a malfunction and it shoots cheap magtech 115s great.

I bought it (because my Hudson H9 broke) late on a Saturday and shot it for the first time at a match that Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

The # of coils cut may very from gun to gun BUT you must do the "Glock"reset to battery  test...tIE: the pistol MUST stay in   battery after the spring cut while held vertically and the trigger is pulled UNLOADED of course I feel the best recoil spring rate is near 14#'s with a captured guide rod set up BUT I've never found that combo, so I made my own. The 13# Glock set up was close but was slightly less than 100%. My load radar crnos @ 130/132 PF

Thanks.  I have a Glock guide rod with a 13# (as I recall).  There were some issues so I installed a lighter Glock striker spring, but have not shot it that way yet.  I have a Sprinco setup on order, but they are VERY slow to deliver.