Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Draw, first shot speed

jskd82

5 hours ago, HoMiE said:

Depends on how you dryfire. I think too many go through the motions and don’t really put their focus when they shoot or dryfire. Speed only comes when you use your vision. Being able to call your shoot based on distance and difficulty determines the speed at which you shoot. You push speed in practice so that you can experience what you need to see, then execute the pace that you can call your shot in matches. 

Well said sir! totally agree.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 1/12/2019 at 9:06 PM, IVC said:

There is one problem with "getting your hits" - it's great advice for those who are serious about their training and want to advance, but it is also a trap for those who are stuck in the D/C class. 

I've seen way too many shooters who use the "I want to get my hits" as an excuse for not getting faster. Everyone can shoot a USPSA course accurately enough to get all A-s. Targets are large and distances are moderate. It's not a bullseye competition. A person who cannot shoot an A on any given random target has no business owning a gun. The problem is "shooting an A fast (enough)." That's where virtually all USPSA training is - being able to do simple tasks fast.

I agree. Too many shooters taking twice as much and literally whining about the importance of time (go play IDPA then). Not all of them but this is common

I am also a b class shooter..  So dumb but trying to get better.  The issue I was having in my draw for the longest time was target distance.  I had to force myself to draw as fast as poss no matter the target distance then adjust the sights biased on distance.  For example if the target was 25 yards I would draw slower and aim harder...  If the target was 5 yards I would blast out a sub second draw.  I had to train myself to always blast out a sub second draw and decide if I needed to be target focused or sight focused.  The draw should always be the same.  That has been my biggest issue.  I observe more people make this issue the more I work on it.  I dry fire my draws for about 10 min a day 4 days a week.  It has made my draw and first shot amazing.  The rest of my shooting.....  Ehhhh... lets not talk about that.  lol