Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Mercs

New White Oak 3-Gun Barrels

Recommended Posts

Has anyone heard anything about these? Was thinking about trying the 1.9 to replace my 16” middy from Odin. I like the specs - 18” intermediate gas, 1-8 twist, 1.9 lbs for under $300. Price seems low, any corners cut? Any reviews out there?

 

https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/shop/barrels/varmint-target-informal-competition/3-gun-mk-223-5-56-18-1-8-twist-w-gas-tube.html

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a WOA barrel, they have an excellent reputation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same barrel as this discussion: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Same barrel as this discussion: 
 

Thanks man. I didn’t realize this one has been out for so long. I remember the fluted one but not this one. So do you think I’ll gain with this over the Odin 16” mid w AGB I have already?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have enough experience with barrels to know the answer to that personally.

People I trust who have shot out many more barrels than I have usually list WOA near the top for accuracy.

If you are looking for soft shooting, what I've found in gas system length is that rifle > intermediate > mid > carbine. 

 

My personal requirements in order are: 1) reliability 2) accuracy 3) weight 4) longevity 5) soft shooting

My sweet spot is a 14.5" hammer forged mid length with a good muzzle brake, Vltor A5 buffer system, full mass BCG.

I've found that if I properly apply some positive shoulder into the butt of the rifle that just about anything mid-length or longer + vltor+ muzzle shoots soft enough to keep my sights on an IPSC target at 25 yards as fast as I can accurately put rounds on targets.

 

So for me I wouldn't bother with a change from 16" to 18" as long as I can shoot fast and stay on target. If you can't keep 2-3 shots on a normal targets at 25 yards, then consider a change. I will say it's easier for me to shoot fast with my 18" rifle ... it does run more smoothly than my 14.5" mid, but both of them are fast enough for 3gun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks I was able to find an Odin 16” intermediate locally, so I think I will test it and then maybe sell my lightweight 16” middy to make up some of the cost if I’m happy with the reliability. The lighter barrel does get pretty hot quickly, so I think this will be a bit better for me if it works out


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't run the barrel that White Oak is marketing as a 3-gun barrel.

However, I'm currently running the SPR in a 1-7 with rifle gas. 

I bought the 18" barrel and cut it down a little over an inch. 

IT SHOOTS LIGHTS OUT. 

I wouldn't hesitate running one of the White Oak barrels!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kitzmiller_3GUN said:

I haven't run the barrel that White Oak is marketing as a 3-gun barrel.

However, I'm currently running the SPR in a 1-7 with rifle gas. 

I bought the 18" barrel and cut it down a little over an inch. 

IT SHOOTS LIGHTS OUT. 

I wouldn't hesitate running one of the White Oak barrels!

I wanted to get one of their 3 gun barrels cut down to 17" and my question is did they charge you a lot to cut down one of their barrels or did you cut it down?.  Their 3 gun barrels are around $300.  When you say lights out are you talking 0.3 or 0.4 MOA with a few loads and pretty much sub MOA with most match loads (not 55 grain crap) or iust it a little finicky?

 

Sorry if this is taking the thread off target for my own selfish interests.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 12glocks said:

I wanted to get one of their 3 gun barrels cut down to 17" and my question is did they charge you a lot to cut down one of their barrels or did you cut it down?.  Their 3 gun barrels are around $300.  When you say lights out are you talking 0.3 or 0.4 MOA with a few loads and pretty much sub MOA with most match loads (not 55 grain crap) or iust it a little finicky?

 

Sorry if this is taking the thread off target for my own selfish interests.

I had the barrel cut, crowned, and threaded by a friend here in Phoenix. I’m pretty sure that service cost under $100 from most smiths. It shoots around .4 MOA using my match ammo. One thing to add is the reticle on my Trijicon accupower 1-8 is not built for  shooting super tight groups. The barrel shines best at distance. Huge fan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kitzmiller_3GUN said:

I had the barrel cut, crowned, and threaded by a friend here in Phoenix. I’m pretty sure that service cost under $100 from most smiths. It shoots around .4 MOA using my match ammo. One thing to add is the reticle on my Trijicon accupower 1-8 is not built for  shooting super tight groups. The barrel shines best at distance. Huge fan

Thanks that was very helpful!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have used WOA barrels for years on my rifles and you will not regret a purchase from WOA. John knows accuracy with AR barrels.  I have even shot 50gr factory loads that shoot .5 in my rifles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...