Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New White Oak 3-Gun Barrels

Mercs

Has anyone heard anything about these? Was thinking about trying the 1.9 to replace my 16” middy from Odin. I like the specs - 18” intermediate gas, 1-8 twist, 1.9 lbs for under $300. Price seems low, any corners cut? Any reviews out there?

https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/shop/barrels/varmint-target-informal-competition/3-gun-mk-223-5-56-18-1-8-twist-w-gas-tube.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same barrel as this discussion: 

Thanks man. I didn’t realize this one has been out for so long. I remember the fluted one but not this one. So do you think I’ll gain with this over the Odin 16” mid w AGB I have already?

I don't have enough experience with barrels to know the answer to that personally.

People I trust who have shot out many more barrels than I have usually list WOA near the top for accuracy.

If you are looking for soft shooting, what I've found in gas system length is that rifle > intermediate > mid > carbine. 

My personal requirements in order are: 1) reliability 2) accuracy 3) weight 4) longevity 5) soft shooting

My sweet spot is a 14.5" hammer forged mid length with a good muzzle brake, Vltor A5 buffer system, full mass BCG.

I've found that if I properly apply some positive shoulder into the butt of the rifle that just about anything mid-length or longer + vltor+ muzzle shoots soft enough to keep my sights on an IPSC target at 25 yards as fast as I can accurately put rounds on targets.

So for me I wouldn't bother with a change from 16" to 18" as long as I can shoot fast and stay on target. If you can't keep 2-3 shots on a normal targets at 25 yards, then consider a change. I will say it's easier for me to shoot fast with my 18" rifle ... it does run more smoothly than my 14.5" mid, but both of them are fast enough for 3gun.

Thanks I was able to find an Odin 16” intermediate locally, so I think I will test it and then maybe sell my lightweight 16” middy to make up some of the cost if I’m happy with the reliability. The lighter barrel does get pretty hot quickly, so I think this will be a bit better for me if it works out

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Kitzmiller_3GUN said:

I haven't run the barrel that White Oak is marketing as a 3-gun barrel.

However, I'm currently running the SPR in a 1-7 with rifle gas. 

I bought the 18" barrel and cut it down a little over an inch. 

IT SHOOTS LIGHTS OUT. 

I wouldn't hesitate running one of the White Oak barrels!

I wanted to get one of their 3 gun barrels cut down to 17" and my question is did they charge you a lot to cut down one of their barrels or did you cut it down?.  Their 3 gun barrels are around $300.  When you say lights out are you talking 0.3 or 0.4 MOA with a few loads and pretty much sub MOA with most match loads (not 55 grain crap) or iust it a little finicky?

Sorry if this is taking the thread off target for my own selfish interests.

2 hours ago, 12glocks said:

I wanted to get one of their 3 gun barrels cut down to 17" and my question is did they charge you a lot to cut down one of their barrels or did you cut it down?.  Their 3 gun barrels are around $300.  When you say lights out are you talking 0.3 or 0.4 MOA with a few loads and pretty much sub MOA with most match loads (not 55 grain crap) or iust it a little finicky?

Sorry if this is taking the thread off target for my own selfish interests.

I had the barrel cut, crowned, and threaded by a friend here in Phoenix. I’m pretty sure that service cost under $100 from most smiths. It shoots around .4 MOA using my match ammo. One thing to add is the reticle on my Trijicon accupower 1-8 is not built for  shooting super tight groups. The barrel shines best at distance. Huge fan. 

4 hours ago, Kitzmiller_3GUN said:

I had the barrel cut, crowned, and threaded by a friend here in Phoenix. I’m pretty sure that service cost under $100 from most smiths. It shoots around .4 MOA using my match ammo. One thing to add is the reticle on my Trijicon accupower 1-8 is not built for  shooting super tight groups. The barrel shines best at distance. Huge fan

Thanks that was very helpful!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I have an 18" DMR (no longer offered apparently) 1:7 rifle length gas, that shoots 3/4 moa using 77 sierras. 68 hornady;s are about 1.25moa.

My go to heavy bullet upper.

Edited by sierra77mk