Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help with tuning new 9mm Witness

Munch

Searched many posts but did not want to hijack so thought I would start new. Just bought used (looks like new) 1997 small frame Witness 9mm (see picture). I did most of Memphis video polish job and although smooth still would like to work on that trigger pull. Will use only as range gun so want a lighter trigger without breaking the bank so would like to start with springs. I know! sucks that front sight is fixed so may look at that down the road.

Hammer spring- Needs to be the longer traditional type. Everyone talks about the Henning and Patriot but as far as I can tell these are all the newer transverse spring. Joe at Patriot told me they are looking at coming out with the longer spring soon. The only other one I see would be the Wolf longer hammer spring. Any help here on spring and weight would be appreciated. I load my own 124g and use only Win S/P primers. Would be nice to get by without messing with firing pin but open for suggestions.

EDIT!!! Now I am not sure - see pic below

Reduced Power Sear spring - Which one for this gun? Patriot? Ideas

Reduced Trigger Return Spring- Patriot?

Reduced Trigger Plunger Spring- Henning?

Sorry to be so long winded but would appreciate your suggestions. Here's the pic

.image.png.7b08427c479444d783b563f6fe410477.png

IMG_3380.JPG

IMG_3383.JPG

Edited by Munch

Yea The videos are great Memphis. Where would you get the cz spring and what weight do you think I could try first with Win S/P primers. Pencil test about shoots to the ceiling so seems pretty strong. Also do you think the other springs I mentioned and brands would work and be worth it?

6 hours ago, Munch said:

Woah!! Hold the train. Now I am not sure. I pulled out again and not as long as I thought.  See new pic above

You have the SHORT spring.  Buy 13, 14 or 15.5 from patriot.  Polish the strut.  Some old ones are larger diameter,  you can reduce diameter of the strut.  Ive use a "gasp" file to make it smaller then polished mirror bright. 

Polish the plunger assembly inside and out.  That will probably be all that is needed.  If you want the Henning spring is OK, but will make reset feel mushy if too low.

PD for the other parts.  Reduce power sear spring AND the firing pin return spring. 

Edited by johnbu

Thanks johnbu. Yea since it was older I was letting the info on Wolf"s site sway me into thinking I had the traditional long spring. I will look into the P/D spring. Just curious if you have one of the P/D hammer springs and could measure the ID. Then I would know what If I will be grinding the strut?

- Will also look at the P/D optimized firing pin spring

-Is the P/D reduced power trigger spring worth using?

Thanks

Lynn

I bought the same pistol a few months ago. Shoots great.

Typical Tanfoglio polishing 

I installed:

PD reduced trigger return spring. 

Henning reduced plunger spring. 

PD reduced sear spring. 

PD firing pin spring. 

The normal Tanfoglio hammer spring for the S2 is too long.  So I used a PD 15.5 lb spring and cut coils off until it didn’t bind. Basically same length as stock one from the gun. 

DA 6.5 SA 2.3. Smooth and crisp with stock sear and hammer. Fires off primers better than my S2. 

Great budget pistol and uses CZ 75 mags. 

19 hours ago, HesedTech said:

The normal Tanfoglio hammer spring for the S2 is too long.  So I used a PD 15.5 lb spring and cut coils off until it didn’t bind. Basically same length as stock one from the gun. 

Those that don't like to trim springs,  the PD 14 is essentially equivalent to a PD 15.5 with coils cut.  Wolff also makes a 15 # spring that is short.

Ok so I received my springs from P/D but the 14lb main spring ended up to long stacks up and won't let hammer go all the way back. (See pic) Can I trim the 14lb? Get the 15.5 and trim it? Get a Wolf?  Appreciate all your help!

IMG_3386b.jpg

Edited by Munch

1 hour ago, Munch said:

Ok so I received my springs from P/D but the 14lb main spring ended up to long stacks up and won't let hammer go all the way back. (See pic) Can I trim the 14lb? Get the 15.5 and trim it? Get a Wolf?  Appreciate all your help!

IMG_3386b.jpg

Munch,

its perfectly fine to cut the dead coils off each end on the hammer springs. For some reason the depth of hammer spring pockets flucate on some guns for some unknown reason. When we created these we took the average depth across 10 guns to determine OAL. 

Usaully getting rid of the dead coils on each end will get you full travel. 

39 minutes ago, PatriotDefense said:

Munch,

its perfectly fine to cut the dead coils off each end on the hammer springs. For some reason the depth of hammer spring pockets flucate on some guns for some unknown reason. When we created these we took the average depth across 10 guns to determine OAL. 

Usaully getting rid of the dead coils on each end will get you full travel. 

Took a little off each end and now works like a champ. Hope its not to much and still sets off the Win S/P primers. Did the pencil test and sends it about 3 ft. up in single action. Guessing about 3.5 lb. pull now S/A  7.5 D/A so a lot better. Will be a few days till I get to the range so will report back later next week. Really appreciate the help.