Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most surprising thing in the nationals survey

RJH

9 minutes ago, RJH said:

The slide ride is a type of C More optic, the big one.  It is not talking about mounting location.  

You’re missing his point.

18% using the traditional C-more.

45% using a horizontal mount.

Were there a hundred weird Open guys running RTS2s and DPPs laying on their side?

The slideride is the only optic that people mount sideways. Right?

;) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

You’re missing his point.

18% using the traditional C-more.

45% using a horizontal mount.

Were there a hundred weird Open guys running RTS2s and DPPs laying on their side?

The slideride is the only optic that people mount sideways. Right?

;) 

I gotcha, you are right, i did miss that.  This is why i don't shoot open haha

2 hours ago, Joe4d said:

Just went through it,,, Surprised me was the Tightgroup in every division. Either top or a point or two off. Ive been out of game about 10 years, but here I ws thinking I needed new powder do to all the shortcomings posted about on this forum with coated bullets. Have always used it and have about 12 lbs on hand.. Also have WST,, which I have always had good luck with in 40, never really seen temp sensitivity,,, although I am a fair weather shooter, so usually chrono when its warm and dont shoot if its freezing.

WST is reverse temperature sensitive.  The higher the temp the slower it shoots.  I shot A7 a few years ago with a guy who got bumped from Major to Minor using WST on a HOT day.  That was after he got bumped from Limited to Open. 

@Joe4d definitely what @eisenhow said. As the temps drop WST picks up speed.

On a 90+ degree day I shot ambient temp ammo, then watched stuff I pulled out of a cooler gain about 3 power factor.

I prefer reverse temp sensitive powders: It’s easy to chrono on hot days down here in TN, and no matter where I go and shoot a match I do not have to worry about losing PF and going sub-minor.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

44 minutes ago, Balakay said:

If I had to guess, the horizontal/vertical numbers refer to shooters using the  slideride only.  

Now that makes sense!  

I’m not gonna lie... I goggled 90degree RTS2 Mount wondering if I was late to the party.

On 1/3/2019 at 11:27 AM, Mcfoto said:

That most Revolver shooters use tried and true Clays rather that the flavor of the month. Also in that division: 58% 9mm.

The 9mm is a bit of a surprise, but the 929 does seem popular (noted that I've seen lower prices on 929's than 627's though).

I wonder how many actually shot 9mm cases instead of 38 short colt though?

On 1/3/2019 at 5:56 PM, regor said:

Were companies just not offering improved parts over factory for DA/SAs or did the field just need a good shooter to break away from the hive mind? I just started this year, but of the ~10 other Production shooters I have been in squads with, I can only recall one that was not a DA/SA (a Glock). I remember one guy running a Beretta and everyone else is running a CZ or Tanfoglio. But almost everyone running a DA/SA has also had some amount of internal work done. If those parts weren't available before I can absolutely see why people would be reluctant to go DA/SA. 

Someone had to start beating Sevigny, his run really seemed to push Glock in Production.  Plus the aftermarket parts situation was pretty easy for Glocks.

On 1/3/2019 at 2:39 PM, RJH said:

They dominated in production until Stegger showed up with his berettas and started changing minds on DA/SA.  Other than when TGO won, i think Glock might have won every production nats until Stoeger, but i could be wrong on that, but they won a bunch

Not quite. Memory serves the first two Production Nationals were won by Ernie Langdon with a Beretta and Todd Jarrett with a Para LDA. I think. Then Sevigny/Vogel won for a while. 

13 minutes ago, Chuck Anderson said:

Not quite. Memory serves the first two Production Nationals were won by Ernie Langdon with a Beretta and Todd Jarrett with a Para LDA. I think. Then Sevigny/Vogel won for a while. 

Yeah, Langdon was first with the Beretta and then I think there was a couple years gap before Jarret won with the LDA.  Interesting that neither of those guns, maybe even especially the Beretta took off.  IDK if you saw where I posted the 2007 survey results and Glock had 58% of production.  That is over an %80 reduction in what used to be the most favored gun and the gun that has won the most championships in production.  That, and the fact that striker guns are no longer the driving force in production surprised me.  But to be honest I haven't really kept up with production in a few years, maybe that is why it seems so surprising.  I knew CZs were the new hotness, but didn't realize they were the dominate guns among the general shooters.  Basically no one in my area shoots production on a regular basis so maybe that is why i hadn't noticed haha

On Thursday, January 03, 2019 at 11:50 AM, funkymonkey1111 said:

I wondered why the SS division is the only one where a plated bullet was the top choice as opposed to coated everywhere else

Coated bullets were used by almost half of shooters.  Berrys was the top manufacturer but the coated bullets were split up between more manufacturers.

6 hours ago, RJH said:

Yeah, Langdon was first with the Beretta and then I think there was a couple years gap before Jarret won with the LDA.  Interesting that neither of those guns, maybe even especially the Beretta took off.  IDK if you saw where I posted the 2007 survey results and Glock had 58% of production.  That is over an %80 reduction in what used to be the most favored gun and the gun that has won the most championships in production.  That, and the fact that striker guns are no longer the driving force in production surprised me.  But to be honest I haven't really kept up with production in a few years, maybe that is why it seems so surprising.  I knew CZs were the new hotness, but didn't realize they were the dominate guns among the general shooters.  Basically no one in my area shoots production on a regular basis so maybe that is why i hadn't noticed haha

I took a couple years off. I was really surprised at the local decline of Production. Seems like most swapped to CO or PCC. Limited was pretty light a few years ago but solid again. Stuff changes. Glock succeeded for a long time because it was cheap and reliable.  CZ had issues before Angus started fixing them and EAA was worlds worst importer. Most of that has sorted itself out. 

On 1/5/2019 at 9:23 AM, RJH said:

There's a BIG difference between "among the general shooters" and "people who go and shoot Nationals."

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the % of striker-fired guns at Level I matches in Production is HUGE compared to the % at Nationals.

Expecting to see tons of Walther Q5 Match SF this year. It's surprising that no company have tried striker fired steel guns before until now. By trying, I mean a gun that one can actually use, not like Hudson.

Edited by quliming

Maybe I haven't been paying attention but, I was surprised that the RTS2 was as popular as it was. I was expecting the DPP to have a more doninant presence. Maybe I only follow Leopold fan boys or something. 

Edited by Adamj

59 minutes ago, Adamj said:

Maybe I haven't been paying attention but, I was surprised that the RTS2 was as popular as it was. I was expecting the DPP to have a more doninant presence. Maybe I only follow Leopold fan boys or something. 

CMore has a huge foothold in USPSA. I hav had no issues with either of my RTS2’s .

3 minutes ago, Sarge said:

CMore has a huge foothold in USPSA. I hav had no issues with either of my RTS2’s .

I'm still having my open gun built. I'll have to do some research into the RTS2 before I commit to a DPP. My other takeaway was that I think I'm going to have to give MBX another look as well

• 3 weeks later...

Has to be more to it than just Max (and Lena and Daniel) shooting for them. I wouldn't expect Glock to be at 30% just because they could shoot for them, or S&W. The SIG must have some distinct advantage in CO that the other guns don't. But then if that is true, why wasn't it reflected in Production, where SIG only had 8% and CZ shows 48%.