Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most surprising thing in the nationals survey

RJH

To me it was that only %11 of production shooters were using Glocks.  There were a few other interesting trends in different divisions, but that the gun that dominated the market share for so long is now down to %11, is interesting to say least, it was still the top striker gun however, which is also pretty interesting that striker guns have fallen so far.    As a side note Glock did a little better in CO percentage wise, but was not the favorite and in CO was not even the favorite striker gun.  

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, RJH said:

To me it was that only %11 of production shooters were using Glocks.  There were a few other interesting trends in different divisions, but that the gun that dominated the market share for so long is now down to %11, is interesting to say least, it was still the top striker gun however, which is also pretty interesting that striker guns have fallen so far.    As a side note Glock did a little better in CO percentage wise, but was not the favorite and in CO was not even the favorite striker gun.  

I think this new Walther PPQ Q5 Steel gun is gonna catch fire and bring that number down even more 

If it's allowed, could anyone post the survey results for those who don't receive the magazine? 

Didn't realize it was available online without the magazine subscription. Link to first page of survey found in other topic: https://uspsa.org/magazine/view//2019-00#page=35 

Edited by regor

Where does the 115gr hype in Open come from? I see only 13% that loaded 115s at Nationals, on the other hand 77% shot either 124/125gr.

115 Fans, what say you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8 minutes ago, dvc4you said:

Where does the 115gr hype in Open come from? I see only 13% that loaded 115s at Nationals, on the other hand 77% shot either 124/125gr.

115 Fans, what say you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I didn’t see jhp or round nose , which one ?

5 hours ago, RJH said:

To me it was that only %11 of production shooters were using Glocks.  There were a few other interesting trends in different divisions, but that the gun that dominated the market share for so long is now down to %11, is interesting to say least,

has glock ever 'dominated' the market share in uspsa? 

I know they dominate the market share among tac-tards and LEO's and hoodlums, but they've always seemed like a minority to me in the 6 years I've been shooting uspsa.

1 minute ago, motosapiens said:

has glock ever 'dominated' the market share in uspsa? 

I know they dominate the market share among tac-tards and LEO's and hoodlums, but they've always seemed like a minority to me in the 6 years I've been shooting uspsa.

They dominated in production until Stegger showed up with his berettas and started changing minds on DA/SA.  Other than when TGO won, i think Glock might have won every production nats until Stoeger, but i could be wrong on that, but they won a bunch

18 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

Were the majority of shooters using glock? or did 2 guys named sevigny and vogel win some championships?

In 2011 at nationals glock was %45  S&W (M&P) was %19  and CZ was %18

Edited by RJH

6 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

cool. so glock was a plurality, but not a majority. That makes sense. People were stupid in 2011, I think obama was even president.  ;)

2007 glock was %58 and GW was president.  And 2008 glock was %52 .  CZ was 13 and 14.

1 hour ago, RJH said:

They dominated in production until Stegger showed up with his berettas and started changing minds on DA/SA.

Were companies just not offering improved parts over factory for DA/SAs or did the field just need a good shooter to break away from the hive mind? I just started this year, but of the ~10 other Production shooters I have been in squads with, I can only recall one that was not a DA/SA (a Glock). I remember one guy running a Beretta and everyone else is running a CZ or Tanfoglio. But almost everyone running a DA/SA has also had some amount of internal work done. If those parts weren't available before I can absolutely see why people would be reluctant to go DA/SA. 

25 minutes ago, regor said:

Were companies just not offering improved parts over factory for DA/SAs or did the field just need a good shooter to break away from the hive mind? I just started this year, but of the ~10 other Production shooters I have been in squads with, I can only recall one that was not a DA/SA (a Glock). I remember one guy running a Beretta and everyone else is running a CZ or Tanfoglio. But almost everyone running a DA/SA has also had some amount of internal work done. If those parts weren't available before I can absolutely see why people would be reluctant to go DA/SA. 

I think most people thought the DA first shot was some huge disadvantage, and the fact that after langdon won the first nationals with a beretta (I assume), Sevegny and Vogel using Glocks won, with the exception of TGO with an XD, all the rest till Steoger won with his beretta.  So there was about 10 years of the top guys using striker guns, so i reckon people figured, just like now, that the gun made some big difference.  Heck I figured after a Glock won Limited nats last year there would be at least a little bump in their popularity in USPSA, but i guess not.  So basically then, just like now, people want to shoot a gun similar  to what the champ uses because that is why he wins right., couldn't be the practice haha.

PS I know Steoger uses a tang not  a CZ, but they are pretty similar

The fact that surprised me is the most people (54%) in Production shot heavy bullets (147 and 150). I moved from the heavy bullets a while ago and I thought I was the last one doing that

Edited by cheby

1 hour ago, cheby said:

The fact that surprised me is the most people (54%) in Production shot heavy bullets (147 and 150). I moved from the heavy bullets a while ago and I thought I was the last one doing that

I'm guessing that's just from a big chunk of people switching to Federal Syntech 150s. 147s are down 7% from last year while 150s went from not listed to 14%. 115s and 124/125 stayed steady and took a dip. 

What I can’t seem to wrap my head around is the fact only 17% of open shooters are still using a slide ride optic but the vertical / horizontal mount split is shown as 55%/45%

🤔

How can that optic mount breakdown be correct?

I was also struck by the toilet bowl Smith M&P CORE fell in into in Carry Optics. 2017:27%....2018: 5%. Comes with ignoring the competition sector while Sig and Walther do the opposite. Where are Julie Golob and Jerry Micelek when good old American S&W need them...or really, vice versa?

About the time Carry optics took off people did like I did, saw the Core M&P 1,,, and just said why buy that when the 2.0's are out.. a 2.0 core has to be right around the corner.....  Then promptly bought something else. Think we are still waiting.

I'm guessing that's just from a big chunk of people switching to Federal Syntech 150s. 147s are down 7% from last year while 150s went from not listed to 14%. 115s and 124/125 stayed steady and took a dip. 

What are the Syntech worth $ wise vs American Eagle 124gn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just went through it,,, Surprised me was the Tightgroup in every division. Either top or a point or two off. Ive been out of game about 10 years, but here I ws thinking I needed new powder do to all the shortcomings posted about on this forum with coated bullets. Have always used it and have about 12 lbs on hand.. Also have WST,, which I have always had good luck with in 40, never really seen temp sensitivity,,, although I am a fair weather shooter, so usually chrono when its warm and dont shoot if its freezing.

9 hours ago, Hawk21 said:

What I can’t seem to wrap my head around is the fact only 17% of open shooters are still using a slide ride optic but the vertical / horizontal mount split is shown as 55%/45%

🤔

How can that optic mount breakdown be correct?

The slide ride is a type of C More optic, the big one.  It is not talking about mounting location.