Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

115 or 124 gr for 9mm major glock open

Adrenaline

Try them both, and see If you have any preference.

I started with 115's in my TruBor 9mm Major, but switched to the 124's

so I wouldn't need to fill the case with so much powder, and spill it

during the reloading process.

Not a big difference - I am going to try them both, side by side, again,

in a few months.

I have pretty much the same set up.

I have experimented with both PD 115 and 124gr JHP.

Using Silhouette.

Right now the throat on my barrel is very tight and is limiting the COAL.

I think that the shorter COAL, which is preventing me from getting more powder in the case, is the most limiting factor, and hence forth, I can’t tell much difference between the 115 and 124 projectiles.

My ammo is VERY accurate and I have low single digit SD’s over the chrono, with a small edge to the 124 grainers at this point.

I’m gonna get a reamer here in a couple weeks to open the throat up and start over to see if the longer COAL more powder works the comp better. And I’ll try 115 vs 124 again.

I’m guessing you’re gonna run into the same situation with the KKM barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd recommend you drop the Carver comp and go with the 11-port SJC.  It will be a big improvement.  All of my friends who shoot poly guns use the 124gr bullet, because of OAL issues.  Same with Czechmate shooters.  Use the slowest powder you can live with, case fill wise.  You want as much gas as possible to work the comp.  With enough gas the SJC will shoot softer and flatter than the Carver.

Hello: 115's will be violent in the Glock17 at major power factor. I tried that and is what I use in my 2011's for open. Try  124,125 and 135's and see what you like. HS-6 powder, Winchester Auto Comp and Silhouette are all pretty good for your Glock loads. Load to 1.140" OAL. The Glock being such a light pistol gives a lot of recoil impulse into your hand and arm. One of the reasons I switched to a 2011. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

9 hours ago, Adrenaline said:

All very helpful. Is the sjc comp that much better?

Light years, as long as you have enough gas to work it.  Even with 6.8gr CFE under a 124 that my buddy shoots the sjc made what he describes as a 'night and day' difference.  Use a slow powder, because you want the gas.  With all those baffles in the sjc to help you, you want them to work.  The idea is to generate just enough gas that each port is 'worked', but almost none of the gas jets out the front.  Gas hitting the baffle pulls the gun forward and lessens the shock to the hands (shoots softer).  Gas jetting up lessens muzzle flip (shoots flatter).  I think that CFE, WAC and Silhouette are a little to fast to fully work the sjc comp.  I'd start with HS-6 or slower and see how it works.  Personally, I'd go right to Shooters World Major Pistol powder and be done with it.  Slow powders are your friend.  They make more gas, shoot softer and generate a lot less pressure; all desirable characteristics in 9mm major.

Edited by zzt