Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

gibbz Arms G-9 complete upper/lower and bolt

Has anyone built a G-9 PCC?  I purchased the G-9 full lefty and will be building in the next few weeks.  Any Advice? what to watch for?  Using Hyper-touch trigger, Luther arms butt stock, stainless barrel with fiber hand guard.  I am lefty and this is apparently the only full lefty PCC out there.

I should get mine this week.  I will compare bolt to details shown and concerns voiced.  Has any one contacted Gibbz Arms?  Crazy to think they would produce a complete upper/lower with bolt and it not work??  they are not cheap.  I have build two with standard AR lowers ( so I have ambi bolt release ) Used a simple block system to use Glock mag's  and purchased a rather inexpensive bolt and they have run great??  

• 3 weeks later...

On 1/4/2019 at 10:21 PM, cconnection said:

So you added the additional support at  6 o-clock?  Does not look easy, what did they weld with?  and do you have to worry about losing temper on bolt?  

Yes, we added the support at 6 o'clock (which is present on the bolts from other high quality manufacturers, including QC10, JP, Wilson, etc).   It is not straightforward but my friend who added the material is a skilled welder and his dad who did the milling has some serious skills as well!  I'm lucky to have such friends.  He used a TIG welder and added a little extra material, it was initially just a blob there.  Then we milled it down to the final spec.  We talked about how the heat might effect the bolt, decided to proceed and it hasn't seemed to have had any adverse effects.  Time will tell. 

I've run it through two matches since the mod and it has run flawlessly.  Its nice not to have all that debris blowing back in my face!

5 hours ago, rchaas said:

Yes, we added the support at 6 o'clock (which is present on the bolts from other high quality manufacturers, including QC10, JP, Wilson, etc).   It is not straightforward but my friend who added the material is a skilled welder and his dad who did the milling has some serious skills as well!  I'm lucky to have such friends.  He used a TIG welder and added a little extra material, it was initially just a blob there.  Then we milled it down to the final spec.  We talked about how the heat might effect the bolt, decided to proceed and it hasn't seemed to have had any adverse effects.  Time will tell. 

I've run it through two matches since the mod and it has run flawlessly.  Its nice not to have all that debris blowing back in my face!

I pray that I do not have to go this route.  I have assembled and run two 30 rounds mags through without a hic-up??  when did you first start having problems? and have you contacted Gibbs Arms with this mod?

thanks, and you are very fortunate to have friends with those skills!!

Issues from the get go. Not frequently, maybe 3-4 fte per 100 rounds, but enough to make it unusable in a match.

Yes, Gibbz Arms has been contacted. They were nice enough to send me a replacement extractor early on but said they weren’t having similar issues from others (after adding the fixed blank opposite the extractor, which my bolt already had). They offered to have a look, but I chose to work on it myself.

I’ve sent them my mod with pics and a description, no reply.

I truly hope you have no issues and your rifle remains trouble free! [emoji1695]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 9:23 AM, rchaas said:

I also had to mill a relief on the bottom of the bolt to allow glock mags to fit properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a picture of what you did?  I am not having any trouble with the system running ( have cycled 250 rounds through without a hic-up ) but I am having trouble getting a magazine to seat. With open bolt, mag seats no problem but not wanting to seat against closed bolt.  

I hope you can see the relief that was milled into the bottom of the bolt in the pics below.

I had trouble seating mags and noticed bent feed lips as well. After creating this relief, full mags seat easily.

e38b20301b056e81bbc5be9b79ce5be8.jpg1d9848a85a19879b1fa33b8b0f7fd5b0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great pic., and funny, I noticed bent feed lips as well, I just took edge off bolt, but I like what you did.  Did you just need to do on the one side?

I also notice that the extractor had no real tension on the casing, it is pulling out but if you move slow it will just drop into mag well ( if no mag inserted ) typically extractor will have some " spring tension " on cartridge??  Have you removed extractor and tried to adjust like you would a 1911?

Kris

Just the one side is all that was needed.

Yes, we tried a number of things to increase tension between the extractor and the case, with little success. It’s spring loaded, tried a stronger spring, also tried removing some material from the extractor to allow it to travel in a bit further, creating greater overlap over the lip of the casing.

None of those really made a difference, but once we made that support shelf, it has been completely reliable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 6 months later...

I know, zombie thread, but wanted to chime in. When I got my Gibbz lefty lower/upper/bolt, I thought they had sent me the wrong bolt; there is *zero* extractor spring tension and the case base fits a 40 cal perfectly (see photos.) When you eject an unfired round, it just sort of "falls" out of the chamber.

I sent it back, assuming they accidentally sent me a 40 cal by accident. They said that it was, indeed, a 9mm and was in spec. I've had it for many months, and am still having a hell of a time getting it to run reliably. I've gotten it down to 1 or 2 failures per 33 round mag; any mag with an extension? Don't even try. I have a friend that bought a builder's set the same time I did and after many months of tweaking, finally gave up on it and bought a JP. 

It's too bad; I really love the side charging handle and the fact that it's set up for lefties. Maybe if stag makes a lefty version of their Glock mag PCC, I will get a bolt from them and try that.

oY_fArH9Byg5S73XKCA2MFxL-L9Ky4TJkC32NkNz-S636m4wY6thhtSsFiplhUCDHOLCB-k3R3UpA5p7P29wzQ_Q6P0WBoyTPLEfM2CoJVtIFffJAcAtOIE096BBUBGJMcwitUyEcIN_eZqRT0Ntq0-AM06x07oupNG3N7F691aHU09-Pjdw9goMzMYKNyYxv2NK7oo5tVEpuRu04rrP9Gq5am6sgJPgz10EX6G-JfU3p3UAhkEAVIv0yKnol1sedV9L0LFjT8EYwH6k97c_UffWDGdlyVvuCTsxmQCBezWeXujIoI62xuiC2vy1xsGZDGhVjiBkLTqTATTWQ34Qx76rSnHp1QRorpNmlGx1Ig3m0aA9Mi3Oi2lv4VL4fFqH2zwnSVPA9mg9ifht8kwhd-UxHy5IRNxedDp-VQqxjVrh8tsbAkKO0wEfJD7v0EIHR-ckqszGvrxvgKOBAJJQkGXexIVbbQx91nzt466hhsAH5QDLWm-OsX_ZFgUW0ELAFje6Fiqf20vKFivzPGHILOC4GMazOyJTas62Ucrb8pgpIQVml9vVnidnDNKp82EsB3MEtuwVEgBAEn0JCrM6OzjbjYUd8nhiKwihYS5uHx3DlE9ESASvpcl2YYT36VcORdmoD5snJBf39e3vc2kPDSYUN28QmNI=w568-h757-no

Edited by benlineberry

I put mine in a box. Using a QC 10 upper and bolt with the  Gibbz lower for the lefty mag release. Never could get that bolt to extract/eject reliably.  I thought we had it licked but the problem kept recurring. The QC10 upper and bolt have been rock solid. If someone else makes a lefty bolt that works, I’d try it with the lefty side charging upper from Gibbz.