Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How did you do at your first match?

UpYoursPal

3 minutes ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

my first match was today and i placed 98th out of 104...a little disheartening but it shows me how much further i have to go

Don’t be. I didn’t even know how far down the list I ended up. I was just happy to go home safely after I slipped and fell with a loaded pistol. I’m glad I got that out of the way early 😆.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember my first match , DQed.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Same for me back in October lol. Second stage, I was the second shooter, and tried to make ready while facing uprange because it was an uprange start [emoji2357]

I started shooting USPSA three years ago and did very well for my first match.  On my first match I shot Limited with a Glock 35.  Before shooting my first USPSA match I shot IDPA for about 8 years and had an expert ranking in three different divisions.  I still shoot IDPA but like USPSA much better. 

• 1 month later...

My first match was scored on paper before we had nice records kept on Practiscore.  But I like to keep my own records though to show how [little] I'm improving.

It was the last weekend of July at Rio Salado, 2009 with the Hosemasters group.  I was shooting Production with a CZ pre-B I had picked up at a gun show for $400; my second center fire pistol ever.

I came in 68 of 75 overall at 27.8%. Dead last in my division of 18 shooters at 30%.  We also shot a classifier that morning, 99-08 which I earned a HF of 3.63.  This was under the old High Hit Factors so it earned me 45% for a C.  Today that'd be a 38.6% classifier for a D.

• 8 months later...

Old topic but still a goodie lol. My first match was my first time shooting under a buzzer in 9 years (used to shoot rimfire optics in steel challenge and IDPA religiously). 

I was like 78th out of 92 lol, I wanna say I lost like 80pts to procedurals which definitely helped hahaha. 

The worst part for me was how big some of the stages were, I’d come up with a plan but when the buzzer went off I’d get lost and forget my plan halfway through. I had 4 targets total over 6 stages I didn’t even shoot at simply because I forgot they were there. 

Still the most fun I’d ever had with a pistol and hooked me. 

10 minutes ago, slodsm said:

Old topic but still a goodie lol. My first match was my first time shooting under a buzzer in 9 years (used to shoot rimfire optics in steel challenge and IDPA religiously). 

I was like 78th out of 92 lol, I wanna say I lost like 80pts to procedurals which definitely helped hahaha. 

92 shooters in IDPA?!!! Whoaa that's a lot of old white guys. XD

What made you take a 9 year break?

9 hours ago, blueorison said:

92 shooters in IDPA?!!! Whoaa that's a lot of old white guys. XD

What made you take a 9 year break?

No my first USPSA match lol. It was after a 9 year break from IDPA/steel challenge. 

I moved to an area where practice was all but impossible. There were plenty of ranges but the cost was a pay by the hour thing and it was static stand on your line and shoot at you 7 or 15 yard target. 

Going to a place like that after years and years of belonging to ranges that were 150-200 a year with magnetic entry, very nice facilities, 6-10 bays that allowed you to setup however you wanted and run and gun for actual functional practice just made me very blah. I’ll never be a pro, never be above mid pack but I enjoy practicing as I’m going to shoot so without that ability I just lost interest. I recently moved back to an area that has great ranges, the ability to practice like you’re going to shoot etc etc and I immediately joined USPSA, picked up a mulled slide for my 17, and started practicing and reloading again. 

I love shooting sports, I was great at Trap, plenty of trophies. Pretty damn good at PRS shooting. Just not a great pistol shot. I’m accurate or fast, never been able to combine the two enough to be great at any of the pistol disciplines but they’re still my favorite form. 

My first proper Match after some years out of shooting: the madness hit me and I shot an IPSC match in Revolver. Finished last of 6 Revolver shooters with a 54.76% score. And 66th out of 70 in "Combined" results (27.06%). The worst stage was when I forgot about 3 targets through another doorway....

My first match was in October.  Finished 56/63 overall, 13/13 in Production.  Managed a 6.506 HF on the classifier; the other stages were in the high 2's, low 3's.  Based on that and the classifier from my second match in November, I'm trending in the low-C area for a classification.

1st shooting competition ever, Left lot’s of room for growth.

I borrowed a belt/holster but didn't have enough magazines to shoot production so was placed in limited.
Small local match I placed 6th out of 9 among the limited group (14 out of 18 overall)

Definitely something I want to do again.

Edited by windfred
Added content

1 hour ago, KRoyal said:

Just did my first match on Feb 1st.  I had a LOT of miss steps and need a LOT of practice.  

I got 7th out of 13 in Limited division and 27th out of 37 overall.  

But I had a blast doing it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAWoMXZQtpM&feature=youtu.be

That's the range in Bells, right?  If that's in your area, try the Collin County UPSPA matches at the Mission 160 range.  

My first match was long ago, April 2012...scoring was on paper and the results got published weeks later. I saved all the results emails for years before the clubs in my area started using PractiScore.

Anyway, I shot Production in my first match finishing 10th of 11, 42nd of 50 overall. Zero’d the classifier, which as I recall was a 35 yard standards. At that point I’d never considered shooting weak or strong hand only!

Over the years since that first match I’ve classified in all divisions except revo, making GM last December at age 54.

18 minutes ago, Eric802 said:

That's the range in Bells, right?  If that's in your area, try the Collin County UPSPA matches at the Mission 160 range.  

Yes that one is in Bells, I've looked into the M160 range before.  Looks like a nice setup, but I really do not like White Wright.  Got a wrongful speeding ticket there on my way to a long range competition in Wolff City and have never been back through WW again.  I actually drive the long way around through Bonham to get to Wolff City now because of it.  

But I'm definitely going to continue on this journey so I'll be branching out and trying out other clubs. 

• 2 months later...