Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How did you do at your first match?

UpYoursPal

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, George16 said:

It has been raining the day prior to the match so the bays were muddy and slippery. On my very first cof, I slipped and fell to the ground. I used my right hand to brace my fall and in doing so, the basepad, ammo and spring came out of my mag. The mag tube was still inside the magwell so on instinct, I just stood up, ejected the mag tube, grab and inserted a new mag and finished of the stage.

It was slow but felt fast for me. One of the guys in the squad got it on video and posted it on the club’s Facebook page. I was so happy not to have my trigger finger inside the trigger guard when it fell or else I would had been dq’ed for AD. I think I finished on the bottom five. I was just happy and relieved I made it safely 😂.

I have improved a lot since then. It’s even more fun now after switching from production to PCC. Now I can see the dot clearly compared to the iron sights.

FYI, YOU'RE A BADA$$

That is a great first match story! Thanks for sharing. Unsafe people trigger the crap out of me.

My first "proper" match would be an IPSC LIII in Vienna - first time at that level. Did OK with about 55% I think. God, we (a bunch of us had traveled overseas for a big match or the first time) were nervous, on the crapper all night...and when the RO asked "are you ready?" I went "no, but I guess I have to start shooting at some point". was a hoot 🙂😓🤣

On 3/6/2019 at 3:19 PM, blueorison said:

FYI, YOU'RE A BADA$$

That is a great first match story! Thanks for sharing. Unsafe people trigger the crap out of me.

Thanks.

I was literally shaking after the Stage was over. My wife and my two kids saw the video on Facebook before I got home and they were laughing there asses off. They even asked me why I ran like a baby with those little steps. I told them I don’t want to slip and fall again 😂.

So my first match wasn't planned.  I put my Shadow 2, holster, and some ammo in the car heading to practice range.  The night before I saw there was a match about 30 minutes away, and thought I am going to go, and just watch to see what it was like before practice.  Found the match director, and asked what would be the best way to watch.  This was 10 minutes before start time.  He said - did you bring a gun, and holster.  I said yeah but I was NOT planning on shooting.  He asked my name, and said I just signed you up.  Go to stage 4 and, ask for this shooter.  I ran to the truck, got my holster on, and went to find the stage.  Told them I was new, and everyone was great in helping me.  Of course he put me in the squad with all of the GMs and Ms.  Thought I was watching a John wick movie seeing these guys shoot.  Biggest adrenaline rush I have experienced in long time when I heard that "beep".  Didn't DQ..  Ran two mags dry on a far away plate rack.  Saved them a ton of pasters that day by missing so much.  Been hooked ever since, and have done several matches, and new guns/gear purchases since.  Since then I have got 2 friends more hooked than me.  Great sport.  

Edited by NCShadow2

Hahaha I feel lik we all say the same things... "go sign up"

"But Ive never shot a ma..."

"Cool, go sign up"

*afterwards*

"Im so glad I did that!"

AND you were on a squad with GMs and Ms and didnt DQ! It is actually counterintuitive; their experience would have let the guide you away from DQing yourself (I hope!).

But LEZBEHONEST you knew what your subconscious was doing by even HAVING  holster at the range near a match... haha

1 hour ago, GunBugBit said:

I won the Tyro pin (best new shooter).  I prize it above the rest (there are also pins for M, A, B, C, D classes based on the club's classification system).  You only get one chance to win the Tyro.

That is so freakin cool!

I really cherish stuff like that. Not so much accolades, but stuff like your pin and "Safest shooter award" vs "You won CO div".

Edited by blueorison

My first match was an outlaw steel match.  I did so bad that I decided I needed to go practice for 6 more months before I came back to another one.  That was about 3 years ago, for the first year or so after that I shot I only attended local outlaw steel matches.  Last year I hit every Steel Challenge match at my local club and made amazing progress. I have shot 5 or 6 USPSA matches in the last 4 months and I am starting to see some very solid progress there finally as well.  I got into this sport after struggling with getting out of the Marines for medical reasons after 14 years.  My dad (who has never shot a match) had suggested shooting in competitions as a way to take my mind off the separation and to meet people who have been through similar situations as me.  Very smart man my dad....

14 hours ago, billthemarine2862 said:

My first match was an outlaw steel match.  I did so bad that I decided I needed to go practice for 6 more months before I came back to another one.  That was about 3 years ago, for the first year or so after that I shot I only attended local outlaw steel matches.  Last year I hit every Steel Challenge match at my local club and made amazing progress. I have shot 5 or 6 USPSA matches in the last 4 months and I am starting to see some very solid progress there finally as well.  I got into this sport after struggling with getting out of the Marines for medical reasons after 14 years.  My dad (who has never shot a match) had suggested shooting in competitions as a way to take my mind off the separation and to meet people who have been through similar situations as me.  Very smart man my dad....

Most of us tend to listen to our fathers when we are older, suddenly we find they were pretty bright fellows.  

If we only listened earlier, who knows how many side roads we could have avoided?

Glad you were able to tap into his wisdom.

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 12:06 PM, blueorison said:

Do you know the story behind this?

As related to us by Terry Allison (one of the old time guys from the Leatherslap days who shot at balloons with Jeff Cooper and Jack Weaver), "Tyro" is short for "Tyrolean" (relating to or characteristic of the Austrian state of Tyrol or its inhabitants).  Tyrol is a historic region in the Alps.  Terry drew some parallel between one's first Alpine climb and shooting one's first match.

Hence, you are a Tyro at your first match.

37 minutes ago, GunBugBit said:

As related to us by Terry Allison (one of the old time guys from the Leatherslap days who shot at balloons with Jeff Cooper and Jack Weaver), "Tyro" is short for "Tyrolean" (relating to or characteristic of the Austrian state of Tyrol or its inhabitants).  Tyrol is a historic region in the Alps.  Terry drew some parallel between one's first Alpine climb and shooting one's first match.

Hence, you are a Tyro at your first match.

Thank you for this insight! My club didnt have one but that is pretty neat.

On 1/2/2019 at 3:03 PM, UpYoursPal said:

Can anyone top 24 mikes in four stages?

Yeah, I can top that! There was a stage that had backward movement and I broke the 180 and got DQ'd from my first match. It was a great time regardless and now I'm addicted.

Not me but I observed this: a new shooter got to the make ready on his first stage. On discovering his holster was empty, he ran back to his range bag and pulled his gun out nowhere near the safety area. DQ before he even fired a shot. To his credit, he stayed the whole match and learned how to run the pad.

My first match I managed not to get DQ'd, and I did hit most of the targets, but my buddy took video and the whole thing looked like slow motion.  Shoot...shoot...step...step...step...shoot...shoot etc.

TBH I'm not that much faster now...

Didnt DQ, shot 41% in production. Classifier was first which I bombed (28%) because I was cold, nervous, and my eyes couldnt focus on the front sight. Last long stage I went against what everyone else was doing, and bombed on stage planning (32%).

All my other scores were in the 45-65% range.

Still had a ton of fun and met a great group of people. 

First match was a local match at my club. Never shot in competition before and only have one or two practice sessions with my belt and holster.

image.thumb.png.c919769a6077051da9cdc41f5f1312e3.png

Ended up 17.1% and 59/61 and that was only because one person DQ'd and the person below me had 34 mikes. Learned a lot of what I need to improve and practice on. I also learned I need to slow down especially on the long shots to avoid the mikes and especially the no shoots. The two I had were longer shots and were just at the edges of the no shoot areas. If I hadn't been trying to keep my time down I would have probably done a lot better. I was keeping the DQ reasons in my mind and saw a few other guys come real close to DQ because of the 180 and a couple of new shooters going to handle guns outside of the safe table area.

I started dryfire practice at home so I can still improve without forcing myself to try to mind the rules, go faster, and train at the match. 

My goal for my next few matches, is to just go at a comfortable pace, actively follow the rules and dont get DQed. I THINK that once that is down, I should be a high C, borderline B shooter based on what im seeing and what the people ive shot with have said. 

End of the year goal is to make C or higher classification.