Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How did you do at your first match?

UpYoursPal

Prompted by this thread, I went back in Practiscore and looked at the results of my very first match.  I vaguely remember moving slow and having a hard time hitting things, but it turns out I was really bad

Stage 1 C13-08: 1.06% | 0.6337 stg pts | 31 pts | 0.0589 HF | 16.97 time 

Stage 2: 0% | 0 stg pts | 68 pts | 0 HF | 48.56 time

Stage 3: 0% | 0 stg pts | 37 pts | 0 HF |16.17 time

Stage 4: 0% | 0 stg pts | 46 pts | 0 HF |42.64 time

This was all in production.  Suffice it to say, I came in dead last and that classifier is a stark reminder of how bad I was! I had 24 mikes overall.

Talk about your first match!  Can anyone top 24 mikes in four stages?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first match was right after Custer's Last Stand, and

I hit Everything, but Very Slowly.  Probably came in last,

shooting 9mm Minor  against .45's in Major.

I corrected that the next month by shooting as fast as The

Big Men at the Range, and missing almost Everything.

Took a while for me to hit things after that  …   still learning the speed thing.     :) 

It took me a whole g21 mag to knock a popper weak hand while holding a briefcase with my strong hand (IPSC).
The peanut gallery was shouting “I leave it and move on”:))) I did not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3 hours ago, HCH said:

I Sucked

That was my match result as well. 

Edit to add: I don't think I finished in last place though....maybe 1 up from the bottom.

I had shot 1 match before this, in SS...but wasn't a USPSA member at the time. This is my first Production match.

https://uspsa.org/match-results-details?index=340&division=Production&guntype=Pistol

I finished 8 of 10 in Production.

2 minutes ago, dvc4you said:

It took me a whole g21 mag to knock a popper weak hand while holding a briefcase with my strong hand (IPSC).
The peanut gallery was shouting “I leave it and move on”:))) I did not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah, leaving something standing is not possible in your first.match. Doesn't matter if it takes you every bit of ammo on your belt, you cannot let that steel win.

My first match was in October and I got put in the local super squad. I impressed them all with... 20 mikes and a 0% classifier. It was a rude awakening for skills that are rarely practiced by the casual shooter (guess which of those two stages were SHO/WHO)

image.png.acd2dfea95531041afd39b73f51fe7c6.png

Just under 50% of the Production winner (M), and 30% of overall (PCC A, since moved to M). Not horrible, but I've improved a ton since then, especially in the last month or so since committing to a 3x per week dry fire schedule. My goal is to get to B class by Area 1 in June. 

I was pretty bad. I think the only people I beat at my first match were my buddy(also shooting his first match) and a guy local to me who literally cares so little about results he doesn’t even look at the scores. I shot a 20 something on the classifier. 

My first full uspsa match was golden bullet and I did well. Prior to that I shot idpa for a year and half.

The matches were on the same day at the same range. Soni would shoot the whole idpa match then come over and shoot just the classifier only at the uspsa match then go home. I did this for 6 months. My initial classification was B.

now very first ever match of any kind and it would be idpa. I was 16th out of 28. When I saw I was better than almost half the people my first time it made me want to see how well I could do... that was 6 1/2 years ago

Look at the bright side............you can only go up from there!!

In all seriousness, its probably safe to say that everyones first match doesn't go as well as they had envisioned.  Now you know what you are in for next time and you have an idea of what you need to improve on.  Now go out and have a better next match!!

My first match was a classifier match at OFGC where you could shoot one division in the morning and another in the afternoon.

Limited (minor) / 67% / 12 out of 26

Production / 53% / 7  out of 12

My next match that had 6 32 round field courses where you had to stage plan, etc..........not so well.  I was lost and just shooting stuff when the beeper went off. 

Limited (minor) / 56% / 11 of 15 / 8 Mikes

95th out of 134 overall, shooting L10 minor. I had a CZ TS in 9mm with CA magazines, so they put me in L10 - I had no idea about divisions. There were just 5 of us shooting L10 and I was 4th, but if you put me into Limited, I would have been 31st out of 42. My score was at 39% overall, and that included one GM and 13 Ms. In Limited, I would have been at 40% relative to the GM. My classifier was at just above 40%, but I tanked the next two so ended up D initially, although I moved up to C quickly. 

Even though looking back it wasn't at all bad for the first time, I was really shocked and humbled not only by my placing, but by how much faster the other guys were. I shoot it accurately, just 3 Deltas on 7 stages and no Mikes, so I thought I was doing well. Boy, was I wrong... 

For the match itself, I contacted via PM one of the club members who posted match details online. He got me in touch with a board member who told me to get on his squad and took me under his wing to show me the ropes, but also to watch me. I had shoot a few local "steel matches" so I was aware of the basic "cold range" operations and I somewhat knew how to draw, but I had never practiced either draw or reloading prior to the my first USPSA match. 

Technically, I should have been DQ-ed on my first stage. As the range cleared, I was facing down range, RO was next to me, he said something along the lines "clear the stage" (not quite sure), so I assumed that was my cue to take the sight picture (I had no idea at the time what the purpose was, it was just something guys would do). I drew, but he stopped me and explained that I had to wait for the specific command. Looking back, now that I'm an RO (as well as NRA RSO), I'm not sure how I feel about not getting DQ-ed...

Edited by IVC
typos

My first match (6 years ago this month) was a Level 3 (IPSC) that I drove 15 hours to get to.

I was shooting Open and shot a ton of A’s. Lots of backups. Had quite a few stages of all alpha’s. Times were horrible but the result was still good enough to put me straight into C grade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

At the time, how would you have felt about Getting DQ'd ?

Horrible, no question. Might have even affected me coming back, although it's hard to say. 

Come to think of it, it was actually my second stage, but the first stage that involved movement. My squad started on a classifier that day, which actually worked for me since I was more familiar with shooting from a single position. Still remember which classifier it was (Tic-Toc), my score (just over 40%) and a local friendly Master (was A at the time) showing me how the groups I was shooting in the A zone is not the way to go and that I should speed up. 

My first match was a classifier match at BGSL. I classified “C” class in production. I was slow and made several mistakes, but had fun. Todd McGowan got me into the sport. Not sure if anybody here knows Todd. He has since taken a hiatus from USPSA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk