Gooldylocks

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

45 minutes ago, Maximis228 said:

I cant think of the last time I racked a round out of my open guns in 9 major. They are all runners. Maybes its Venom Custom. Maybe its me roll sizing brass. Maybe its case gauging. Maybes its The PD 124 Projectile. Maybe its regular gun maintenance.

Now I will probably rack a round at my next match for saying the above.

Oh you will. But it will be at the end of a stage after you’ve just owned it.

I do all the things you mentioned and my gun runs perfectly.

3 minutes ago, Posvar said:

Oh you will. But it will be at the end of a stage after you’ve just owned it.

I do all the things you mentioned and my gun runs perfectly.

Ok... I guess the previous 200K+ rounds thru my open guns from Don are just a fluke. Or maybe its my reloading methods....🤣

Edited by Maximis228

Ha! It was a compliment. I meant you rack a round when you are done with every stage. I’m in agreement with you completely on how the 9mm major round runs. The PD 124g JHP may have something to do with it too. Plus all the other things you mentioned. Roll sizing is important for sure. 

Edited by Posvar

• 2 weeks later...

Re. .38 Super

On 1/3/2019 at 8:05 AM, Sarge said:

And if they did it still wouldn’t make major PF. Off the shelf 38super is really only 9mm with a few extra ++ after +P

Normal .38 Super ammo is rated at 1350 fps, more or less. with a 125 gr. bullet. That means a 168+ PF which makes Open Major under today's silly rules.

On 1/3/2019 at 7:19 PM, B_Seehawer said:

Y’all gonna feel stupid when 380 Major blows 9 Major out of the water

That will happen right after IPSC/USPSA lowers the Open Major PF to 100. That sound you hear is only Col. Cooper rotating in his grave.

On 2/18/2019 at 6:27 AM, SWprotected said:

38SC feeds better, doesn't jam! This is Fake News!!! I will say I do think SC is a little flatter and softer, but I don't buy all this other stuff. I shot open for 2 years both of my guns were 9 Major and I had  jams two times in 2 years and both times it was my fault for not changing mag springs, I let the springs go longer than I should have. Both of my guns were cleaned after each match and new springs a couple times a year. I personally don't care what anyone else shoots but I keep hearing a lot of bad information about what 9 major can't do like run reliably.

Why would anyone believe what a S&W Open shooter would say🤔🤣

Those 9mm case head separations are neat.

It would be interesting to see the true reason for the change of the top shooters since most of their Ammo is free .  Yes brass is easier to find for 9mm but ballistically has the 9mm major improved that much over the 38 super..

1 hour ago, Sparten8654 said:

It would be interesting to see the true reason for the change of the top shooters since most of their Ammo is free .  Yes brass is easier to find for 9mm but ballistically has the 9mm major improved that much over the 38 super..

"Free" has to cost somebody something. Even if the shooter doesn't pay for it, 9 major is still cheaper for the maker. If they're giving it away, it only makes sense to give away the cheaper ammo. 

I think the top (sponsored) shooters use whatever fits the rules best and has their sponsor's name on it. Right now 9-Major is the best fit. Change the rules and it might be .380. Change them the other way and it may be .45 acp again.

• 2 years later...
On 1/4/2019 at 11:14 AM, Gooldylocks said:

I think what a lot of it comes down to is that so many 38 shooters think their guns are flatter and softer than a 9mm, because of the higher charge weight. But if you use slow powder in 9mm similar to what you would in a 38, then all of the sudden your 9mm feels great.

I'm loading 9 grains of HS6. I have buddies loading 10.5 grains of AA7, or 9.5ish of 3n38. Use slow powder, and your 9mm will feel just as good.

How can you put 9.5gn of 3n38 in a 9mm case without the ammo being too long? I'd tried before and the case just don't have enough space for that much of 3n38.  It's compressed heavily.  May be you used more crimp or undersized die, you can't achieved with the normal .380 crimp.  The bullet will just pushed by the powder.