• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

BUT MAH SUUPAA

Cheaper and better performing.. seems better to us, but apparently we are wrong. At least the super shooters think so.

There are some coming around. Time will tell and I'm very curious how it continues to pan out.

5 hours ago, Fo0 said:

my theory is the mini dots are more common now so the 9mm major ejection issues with the slide ride isn't a problem anymore

I think this is a big deal. I shoot 38 SC and still stayed with a micro dot just so I didnt have to deal with tuning the ejector/extractor.

When I bought my gun, it came with a brand new 9 major barrel. I decided to shoot the 38SC to see if I liked it enough to eat the costs. Shot a couple 9 major guns in the meantime. Sold the 9major barrel and sticking with the 38SC. Shooting open is expensive. No reason to be a cheap ass.

4 minutes ago, praetorian97 said:

I think this is a big deal. I shoot 38 SC and still stayed with a micro dot just so I didnt have to deal with tuning the ejector/extractor.

When I bought my gun, it came with a brand new 9 major barrel. I decided to shoot the 38SC to see if I liked it enough to eat the costs. Shot a couple 9 major guns in the meantime. Sold the 9major barrel and sticking with the 38SC. Shooting open is expensive. No reason to be a cheap ass.

I see what you're saying.  However, no need to spend more than required either. 

34 minutes ago, Shmella said:

What makes it shoot better? That’s a first I’ve heard 9 shoots better. 

I honestly don't know. I started testing with Super and 9x23 sometime last year when I had a gun free to do it. Before then I always assumed something about Super had to be better, you know, powder options and case capacity and all that. 

Up until then I had only shot Super in other people's guns. I remember shooting two Supers that felt really good. All the others I thought were really bad and most times I was like here, take this cannon back please.

Having played with Super and 9 in the same gun, every time I come back to the 9 I say "something about this feels right". Can't really describe it accurately though. The best I can try to describe it is it has a thick or muted impulse. Something does seem violent to me with Super loads. 

This is of course crazy to many people and is after lots of time shooting 9 and finding my preferred load. 

I have more Super testing to satisfy my curiosity but this is my take as of today. 

Does it really matter in the long run?  No, I doubt it.  But 9 is pretty damn good when done right. 

1 minute ago, theWacoKid said:

I honestly don't know. I started testing with Super and 9x23 sometime last year when I had a gun free to do it. Before then I always assumed something about Super had to be better, you know, powder options and case capacity and all that. 

Up until then I had only shot Super in other people's guns. I remember shooting two Supers that felt really good. All the others I thought were really bad and most times I was like here, take this cannon back please.

Having played with Super and 9 in the same gun, every time I come back to the 9 I say "something about this feels right". Can't really describe it accurately though. The best I can try to describe it is it has a thick or muted impulse. Something does seem violent to me with Super loads. 

This is of course crazy to many people and is after lots of time shooting 9 and finding my preferred load. 

I have more Super testing to satisfy my curiosity but this is my take as of today. 

Does it really matter in the long run?  No, I doubt it.  But 9 is pretty damn good when done right. 

Hmm interesting. I have two guns with 9 and super barrels, I’ve only ever shot 9 and have yet to test the super. I always thought super would feel better but am too cheap to get setup to load and test. 

What o get a kick out of is there is always a 38 vs 9 controversy but never a 40 vs 10mm in limited one. 10mm is better than 40sw for all the same reasons as 38 is better than 9 in open. But the difference is so small and the difficulties have been overcome to the point than nobody even thinks about it any more. In another 10 years 38 will be dead and people will wonder why it was ever a thing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Just get a correctly made gun, and load good ammo, and it will shoot like a dream, 100% reliably.   I had 9mm guns made by 4 or 5 different builders... only one had issues.  Some people shooting 38 were surprised how flat my gun was shooting.

Here’s the deal. How often do you see a 38SC guy throwing that first punch? In my experience its always a 9 major guy trying to bust a brass joke or validate their crappy life choices. I kid I kid but seriously, Im fairly new to 38SC and its one of the biggest things I noticed.

1 hour ago, MikeBurgess said:

What o get a kick out of is there is always a 38 vs 9 controversy but never a 40 vs 10mm in limited one. 10mm is better than 40sw for all the same reasons as 38 is better than 9 in open. But the difference is so small and the difficulties have been overcome to the point than nobody even thinks about it any more. In another 10 years 38 will be dead and people will wonder why it was ever a thing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I’ll take you up on that one, young man...

what advantage does 38 super have vs 9mm? if they use the same bullet - same velocity - same power factor? just the 9mm uses less powder therefore would have less recoil

Edited by Fo0

1 minute ago, Fo0 said:

what advantage does 38 super have vs 9mm? if they use the same bullet - same velocity - same power factor? just the 9mm uses less powder and it would have less recoil

Recoil in Open is not a thing. Actually lighter loads TYPICALLY don’t track as well as a hotter load producing more gas. 

Most are hanging on to 38 because it theoretically feeds better , extracts better, ejects better,  blah blah blah. 9MAJOR has just come far enough in recent years to finally catch up

6 hours ago, Fo0 said:

just saw Les Baer on shooting USA - he said 38 super is one of his favorite calibers all time and they are gaining in popularity over the last few years.

Those aren’t competition guns.    I think 38 Super is a great cartridge and would love to have one for carry or fun.

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

Those aren’t competition guns.    I think 38 Super is a great cartridge and would love to have one for carry or fun.

I meant at the comment that said 38 super will be dead in 10 years

Edited by Fo0

I meant at the comment that said 38 super will be dead in 10 years
And you can still buy new 10mm guns, doesn't mean it isn't a defunct market in day to day terms.

How many boxes of 38 Super(let alone comp) do you think a retailer like sportsmans sells in one day of operation, compared to 10mm? How about 10mm compared to 40? Compared to 9mm?

Coffin, meet nail.