Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

advice with first AR15 build

jmac2112

https://suparms.com/collections/adjustable-gas-blocks-direct-impingement set screw is smaller diameter, I prefer clamp. Specs are on the website. JP has a nice low profile .750 block that should fit https://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPGS-9D  

Rifle above is pretty much the setup you are building. Barrel is not the match series. It is light out front and points fast. 

I was just looking at a BCM Gunfighter charging handle, and in the description it says "NOTE: Not compatible with adjustable gas keyed bolt carrier groups."  I'm leaning toward the Brownells adjustable BCG at this point, so can anyone tell me whether this warning applies?  Nothing in the Brownells description says anything specifically about being "adjustable gas keyed."

Thanks!

John

It will work with adjustable gas block

Instead of an adjustable gas block, that is referring to an adjustable gas on they gas key (on top of the bolt carrier)

I've never used an adjustable gas key and i think it exists only for people with a pinned in front sight post /gas block who can't/won't put a new gas block on

I did a similar build to what you are doing. Bottom rifle. Here's what I used:

-Aero slickside upper with 12" Atlas rail

-Faxon 14.5" midlength with Ti VG6 Epsilon style brake

-SLR .625 sentry 6 adj gas block

-AIM lightweight BCG

-Taccom ultralight plastic buffer

-Sprinco yellow -10% spring

-Hiperfire 3gun trigger

I have to say this rifle (SBR actually) is sublime. Shoots so soft and flat and very very light. It's somehow greater than the sum of it's parts. Just a joy to shoot. 

I think you're on the right track for something fun and useable. Good luck.

IMG_2976.thumb.jpg.c770b2a89ade8082c51099fefdc52105.jpg

Looks great!  "Joy to shoot," that's what I'm aiming for!  

Can you tell me about your sights?  That's something I haven't thought about very much.  From what I've seen, though, it's very easy to spend more on optics than on the rifle itself.