Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should USPSA provide a printed rulebook to its members?


Recommended Posts

On 1/10/2019 at 5:56 PM, Gary Stevens said:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can simply remove one page and replace it with another . Plan "B" is make a notation directing me to the new wording. Plan "C" is to visit the print shop and spend another $11.50.

 

Any of the options will not give me too much angst.

At 17 I worked for the Phone Company.  They had Policy and Procedure Manuals for everything!!!!

One of my jobs was to insert updates into those manuals.

 

Since the phone company had a billion industrial engineers, their policy numbering system instructions were intense, e.g.,  replace page 10.1.2 with 10.1.2.1, 10.1.2.2 .........

{Little did i know, I would be a member of the International Institute for Industrial Engineering}

 

I don't think USPSA has figured out how to do that yet, especially if we use duplex printing of our rule book.  Are we going to update a rule and replace a page?  

 

The 6P Adage.

 

UGH

 

Going Green meant:

 

1. Buying paper and paper protectors

2. Buying a binder

3. Replacing ink

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I must admit, the ONLY thing I really detest about the new rulebook is how you can't do a good, simple search for a rule using the app.

 

Seriously, you can't search for "10.5" in the app.  It won't take it.  Wasn't the POINT of the app to be able to do this easily?!

 

Sheesh.

(As others have also said, download the rules as a PDF, and use the free Adobe reader for it---you can do USEFUL searches that way.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Thomas H said:

(As others have also said, download the rules as a PDF, and use the free Adobe reader for it---you can do USEFUL searches that way.)

This is what I would do as well. I would much rather have a searchable PDF copy on my phone than a printed book. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The point of the paper rulebook is that you can hand it off to some dummy while on the range and let him educate himself after you point out a rule. I'm not handing over my phone. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, waktasz said:

The point of the paper rulebook is that you can hand it off to some dummy while on the range and let him educate himself after you point out a rule. I'm not handing over my phone. 

Yep

Link to post
Share on other sites
I must admit, the ONLY thing I really detest about the new rulebook is how you can't do a good, simple search for a rule using the app.   Seriously, you can't search for "10.5" in the app.  It won't take it.  Wasn't the POINT of the app to be able to do this easily?!

 

Sheesh.

 

(As others have also said, download the rules as a PDF, and use the free Adobe reader for it---you can do USEFUL searches that way.)

 

 

Downloaded the Adobe Acrobat reader in my phone and the pdf file from USPSA website, this works much better. Thanks for the tip. 

Now, if I could only read Chapter 9....[emoji3061]

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I can flip to 10.5 in a second or 2 with an actual book,,, even stick my finger in that page and flip back to section 8,, AT WILL,,,, no time delay. Amazing ! no app required,, works in most lighting, doesnt need a signal, batteries, or anything else..
Any one reasonably familiar with the rule book should be able to find section they need far faster with a printed book.
Hey I am all about tech when it is actually about doing something better. But tech for the sake of tech is just plain stupid.
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Joe4d said:

I can flip to 10.5 in a second or 2 with an actual book,,, even stick my finger in that page and flip back to section 8,, AT WILL,,,, no time delay. Amazing ! no app required,, works in most lighting, doesnt need a signal, batteries, or anything else..

 

 

Other thing, waving a smartphone around and yelling or throwing it on the ground just looks silly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

yeh a pen and some tape for tabs,,
But to the OP,, Yes USPSA should,, not about what individuals like or dont like. Those that like their swipe swipe gadgets, more power to em. Having a printed rule book does nothing to those that dont want one,, yet NOT having a book, and only a Iphone X version,, penilizes those who want a printed one.
One of the things that made USPSA great among all the other games was a printed quality rulebook and the point to actually follow it and not have local rules.
Its cheap and simply piss pore for HQ to be so penny pinching that they cant send out a rule book to the membership every 5 years or so especially when they seem to have plenty of money to send some elites to international matches and piss away 800 k "buying" a game they coulda just started for free.

Edited by Joe4d
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

yeh a pen and some tape for tabs,,
But to the OP,, Yes USPSA should,, not about what individuals like or dont like. Those that like their swipe swipe gadgets, more power to em. Having a printed rule book does nothing to those that dont want one,, yet NOT having a book, and only a Iphone X version,, penilizes those who want a printed one.
One of the things that made USPSA great among all the other games was a printed quality rulebook and the point to actually follow it and not have local rules.
Its cheap and simply piss pore for HQ to be so penny pinching that they cant send out a rule book to the membership every 5 years or so especially when they seem to have plenty of money to send some elites to international matches and piss away 800 k "buying" a game they coulda just started for free.

They have to save some money so they can send Mike to the Philippines a few more times.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd prefer to have a paper rulebook.

I don't feel like it is my job as a shooter, a CRO, or as a match director to provide something that USPSA should be providing as part of our membership dues.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, davidb72 said:

I'd prefer to have a paper rulebook.

I don't feel like it is my job as a shooter, a CRO, or as a match director to provide something that USPSA should be providing as part of our membership dues.

😀

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, davidb72 said:

I'd prefer to have a paper rulebook.

I don't feel like it is my job as a shooter, a CRO, or as a match director to provide something that USPSA should be providing as part of our membership dues.

 

But we have an app now!! Yay!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

I don't own a cell phone so I need a printed copy to take to the range, kind of hard to pack my home computer into a range bag.

I can remember when USPSA use to brag on how much money we had in the bank, are you telling me we are so broke that a rule book can't be printed for every member. 

Why doesn't someone make an app so you can stay at home and shoot a match with your phone and send in the scores.

The electronic age has made people weak in mind and body. Life is hard, so toughen up and live it. 

Rich

Link to post
Share on other sites
I don't own a cell phone so I need a printed copy to take to the range, kind of hard to pack my home computer into a range bag.
I can remember when USPSA use to brag on how much money we had in the bank, are you telling me we are so broke that a rule book can't be printed for every member. 
Why doesn't someone make an app so you can stay at home and shoot a match with your phone and send in the scores.
The electronic age has made people weak in mind and body. Life is hard, so toughen up and live it. 
Rich

Who does not own a phone????


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, RIIID said:

I don't own a cell phone so I need a printed copy to take to the range, kind of hard to pack my home computer into a range bag.

I can remember when USPSA use to brag on how much money we had in the bank, are you telling me we are so broke that a rule book can't be printed for every member. 

Why doesn't someone make an app so you can stay at home and shoot a match with your phone and send in the scores.

The electronic age has made people weak in mind and body. Life is hard, so toughen up and live it. 

Rich

Ouch! 🤨

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • ChuckS locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...