Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should USPSA provide a printed rulebook to its members?

TaterHead

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Simple question.
No need as long as it's accessible electronically. I'm reading the new version via the app. I don't need a paper version flopping around in my range bag. Especially, since most of are carrying our phones around to post video on Instagram [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I believe they issue paper books only to range officers at this point.  Years ago all members got them.  I guess the cost of printing doesn’t justify it any longer.  Plus everyone has a phone so the rules are just a click away.

22 minutes ago, Rnlinebacker said:

No need as long as it's accessible electronically. I'm reading the new version via the app. I don't need a paper version flopping around in my range bag. Especially, since most of are carrying our phones around to post video on Instagram emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

While I understand the idea of keeping it digital I personally leave my phone in the truck at matches so for me the instant access isn’t going to be there.

1 minute ago, Sarge said:

While I understand the idea of keeping it digital I personally leave my phone in the truck at matches so for me the instant access isn’t going to be there.

My MO as well. My home range has zero cell coverage anyway so it just drains the battery to have it on while I'm there.

4 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

My MO as well. My home range has zero cell coverage anyway so it just drains the battery to have it on while I'm there.

It can be downloaded onto a phone so I don’t need coverage but the phone would have to be on me or in my range bag.

I still like paper books, but I have no issue just using my phone for it and/or having the the .pdf version of the rules put onto my clubs tablets.  Honestly I think if a club is running scoring equipment capable of holding a .pdf then there is no good reason for it not to be on there.  The only thing is, who ever is in charge of the equipment should be checking for updates to the .pdf  regularly.

It's like printed phone book - they can still be ordered, but vast majority of people use searchable databases.

USPSA shouldn't be sending it out to general members - a non-RO looking for the specific piece of information will want to search for a keyword. Similarly, if there is a contentious issue (e.g., gaming a VC stage), the RO will want to do a quick search on the topic just in case there is an obscure rule. 

I cant find a definitive answer, reading through the rule book so here it goes. Is it legal for me to have a barrel tin coated for production? I see the ruling on slides and frames, but nothing specific on barrels.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, kk4364 said:

I cant find a definitive answer, reading through the rule book so here it goes. Is it legal for me to have a barrel tin coated for production? I see the ruling on slides and frames, but nothing specific on barrels.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

D4-21 puts burden on you, the shooter, to provide a specific rule or published interpretation. With that said, D4-21.3 allows "OFM or aftermarket barrel which is of the same length and caliber..." Since the only condition is the "length" and "caliber," and since "aftermarket" is allowed, you are covered by D4-21.3. 

Edited by IVC

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

Everyone else will have their phone on them so that they can get those YouTube clips shot, old timer :D. I already downloaded the PDF so I can browse through it without a cell signal.

I Prefer a digital copy: It doesn’t get beaten up in my bag, nor add weight, and I can search it by keyword.

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

It can be downloaded onto a phone so I don’t need coverage but the phone would have to be on me or in my range bag.

When it cannot find a tower, your phone bumps to full power and starts screaming nonstop in search of a signal. That kills the battery.

If you have no signal or an unusably weak one, turn on airplane mode (kills the transmitter) and your battery will last all day.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

One thing to keep in mind is that there will not be the separate ruling files that we had in the past. When an approved ruling reaches it's effectivity date , it will be folded into the on-line rulebook. The printed books will go obsolete rapidly.

STOP CHANGING THE f*#kING RULES AND GO BACK TO THE 2014 RULE BOOK!

But know that will never happen so YES, give me a final printed rule book. 

1. I don't want to wave my $1000 phone around the range risking the screen getting broken if it drops on the rocks. 

2. I hate it when people take their safety glasses off to look at their phone. 

3. I've been to tons of ranges and rarely any of them have reception, yeah I know how to download stuff but see the previous two. 

4. The 2014 book is tiny, complaining about it taking up space in your bag is like complaining you have to carry your penis around. 

2 minutes ago, louu said:

STOP CHANGING THE f*#kING RULES AND GO BACK TO THE 2014 RULE BOOK!

But know that will never happen so YES, give me a final printed rule book. 

1. I don't want to wave my $1000 phone around the range risking the screen getting broken if it drops on the rocks. 

2. I hate it when people take their safety glasses off to look at their phone. 

3. I've been to tons of ranges and rarely any of them have reception, yeah I know how to download stuff but see the previous two. 

4. The 2014 book is tiny, complaining about it taking up space in your bag is like complaining you have to carry your penis around. 

Yep

while we're at it, can we go back to printed phone books? and car tires with tubes?

I think uspsa should sell a printed book for luddites,  and the rest of us can use the infinitely faster and more current electronic version. I imagine we'll install them on the scoring devices our club uses so I won't have to 'wave my $1000 phone around' and risk it getting eaten by an angry badger.

Too easy to drop the phone when reading in the can.  😃

Plus... Galileo's notebooks are still readable.  Try getting a file off an Atari 800 disk

Also way less opportunities to play pranks on fellow squadmates by having your own special version of the rules loaded up.

10 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

One thing to keep in mind is that there will not be the separate ruling files that we had in the past. When an approved ruling reaches it's effectivity date , it will be folded into the on-line rulebook. The printed books will go obsolete rapidly.

This is the biggest reason I dont mind the change. No more "If its not in the rule book, it doesnt exsist." comments that I may have heard once or twice.