Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34 Accuracy Issues

Yoakam

Last year I purchased a brand new G34 Gen 4 and am just now really getting time to work with it.  So far I have changed the sights to TTI target sights, guide rod and 13 lb recoil spring.  The sights have been centered with my calipers...but the gun consistently shoots left.  I found the locking block pins to be very easy to remove...in fact one of the pins nearly walked completely out during a firing string.  I was able to replace the locking block that I had from another Glock that is extremely tight fitting.  Anyhow...the gun doesn't group as tightly as I would expect.  I haven't noticed this issue with any of my other 7 Glocks.  So far I have tried different loads...back straps...factory springs.  I realize I can drift the sight...but I'm OCD when it comes to them being aligned.  Has anybody else had this issue?  Any suggestions?  Also this is all slow fire standing from about 10 yards.

Yeah.  That's my next step.  I need to find someone that mostly shoots Glocks though.  I'll probably take it to the next local match and let a few guys try it and see.  It's certainly been disappointing.  I have been expecting this to be a tack driver...and so far it hasn't really impressed me at all.

Thanks.  I'll just order a factory one then.  I found one in my G20 that was the same as my G34.  It is much tighter than the one that came in my 34.  I need to get a replacement for my G20 now.

4 hours ago, Yoakam said:

1.  the gun consistently shoots left.

2.  the gun doesn't group as tightly as I would expect.  slow fire standing at 10 yards.

Two separate issues.

1.  If the gun shoots left, you have to adjust the sights, even if Rob Leatham shoots it into the center of the bull.

It matters only where YOU shoot it - I'd adjust the sights so it shoots center.

2.  How large is your group - at ten yards is interesting, but would be more interested in your 20 yard group size.    :) 

Yeah...makes sense.  I'll have to get over my complex.  Next dry day I will back out to 20 yards and see what it looks like.  I'm going to take some paper targets and get some pics as well.  All this past weekend I had to wear rubber boots just to walk around my range.  Policing brass in muddy water isn't very enjoyable.

Only one of 7 makes me think it's the gun.  Mind you some folks claim they all shoot left...    The G34 is long enough that a slow mo shot would show the slide has started to move before the bullet has left the barrel.  I wonder if the locking block isn't square/flush perfectly?  Huh.   I guess maybe it could be a grip artifact.   Do you shoot other guns w/longer barrels?

Meanwhile I did install these in my G24 and G20..

https://www.glocktalk.com/members/t-r-graham.12922/

On a related front, I've just started shooting again after a few years away.  And suddenly I feel I'm shooting left with the G20.  A gun I believed was dead on the money when I'd stopped shooting.  Weak left hand grip on my part?  I'm wondering..

Having the center pad of the first finger segment on the trigger is the conventional wisdom for most guns, but Glocks can be a little different.

Try more finger in the trigger guard/on the trigger. Then try less. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2019 at 2:41 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

1.  If the gun shoots left, you have to adjust the sights, even if Rob Leatham shoots it into the center of the bull.

It matters only where YOU shoot it - I'd adjust the sights so it shoots center.

From my experience, covering up poor trigger technique is never a good idea. I started out with a 34 and consistently shot left because I had a terrible grip and I was tensing up my firing hand and ripping on the trigger. I eventually learned to pull the trigger straight back and now I can accurately shoot pretty much any gun I'm handed. If the gun really isn't sighted in you should adjust the sights, otherwise learn to pull the Glock trigger straight back. 

I picked up a couple of gen 5 g34s with the new marksman barrels.... aside from them being surprisingly short chambers, the accuracy was not good.  At all.  I dropped in a KKM barrel and the difference is night and day.  I did not experiment with loads at all - I was shooting my usual 147 gr. coated TC and RN.  So who knows, maybe I could have found a more sympathetic load for the factory barrels - but I just didn’t mess with it.  I’ve always had great results from KKM and this was no exeception. Trigger had nothing to do with it in my case.  

Edited by OptimiStick

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2019 at 3:48 PM, Yoakam said:

Yeah...makes sense.  I'll have to get over my complex.  Next dry day I will back out to 20 yards and see what it looks like.  I'm going to take some paper targets and get some pics as well.  All this past weekend I had to wear rubber boots just to walk around my range.  Policing brass in muddy water isn't very enjoyable.

Look up “diagnostic target” in the google machine and print them out formyour range trip. I use these a LOT with students, friends, my son and even myself from time to time as we all get into some bad habits and need a tune up. 

Sounds like you need a little more finger on the trigger but see what the target says.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How interesting. I too have found myself chasing this issue, steadily adjusting the rear sight to accommodate.

Of note, i've not experienced this phenomenon with any other pistol of which i can recall. I shoot dead on with a Sig P226, a Sig 2009, a S&W model 52 and a myriad of 1911s.

This Glock 34 has proven to be a tougher platform for me to adapt to with respect to alignment. All in all I've been quite satisfied with stock function and accuracy. While i'm not a great fan of the quality of the trigger action or the grip angle. i've made my peace with them. I wonder if it's not these latter aspects which contribute to the phenomenon.

23 hours ago, wanttolearn said:

, a S&W model 52

Yeah I thought I knew what difficult was until I got into a 52 (mostly reloading issues it taught me a lot about ammo making and follow through)

then I bought a Glock 34  😐

On 1/24/2019 at 4:54 PM, tdp88 said:

From my experience, covering up poor trigger technique is never a good idea. I started out with a 34 and consistently shot left because I had a terrible grip and I was tensing up my firing hand and ripping on the trigger. I eventually learned to pull the trigger straight back and now I can accurately shoot pretty much any gun I'm handed. If the gun really isn't sighted in you should adjust the sights, otherwise learn to pull the Glock trigger straight back. 

How long did it take to stop shooting left?

I had a G17 that shot 8” left at 20 yds.  I had plenty of other Glocks in my safe and never had the issue before.  A couple other people shot it with the same results, so I began experimenting with different parts to correct it.  I quickly discovered that is was in the upper, as swapping other uppers onto the G17 frame resulted in perfect hits.  It got weird when I swapped barrels and slides.  The slide worked great with other barrels, and the barrel worked great with other slides, but putting the two together, on any frame, resulted in the way left hits.  Ultimately I didn’t want to spend any more money on replacing either part so I gave up on it and sold it to a buddy who drifted the sights to correct, but it looks terrible.  Very weird that the factory parts didn’t like each other.

I like Glocks and have owned a small herd over the years. A couple shoot head and shoulders above others. All of them shoot great.

But there was this one 34 that I could not get to shoot. Different locking blocks, loads, sights, different barrel. Just never could warm up to this one. Not often but every now and then the gun needs to find a new home.