Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Two loads with POI shift at very short range

RickT

Went to the range with some old 124gr loads for my HK P2000 EDC and some of my very soft 135gr loads for my competition (SC) 9mm 1911.  Range was 7 to 10 yards.  Worked the HK a bit in preparation for an Enhanced CCW class (Idaho); just moved two months ago and hadn't touched a gun in 4 months.  Switched to the 9mm and found I was grouping about 1" high.  Hadn't brought that much of the usual 1911 ammo so tried the near-factory HK load and the groups were centered on the target.  I repeated this "experiment three times and the POI of the 135gr load was consistently high.

This is certainly not the ballistics; I expect what I'm seeing is the difference between a light/faster and heavier/slower bullet POI, but an inch at that short range seems extreme.  The gun is on the heavy side, but at 73 y/o I don't have a gorilla grip.  I've seen discussions noting differences between 147gr and 115/124, but I'm wondering if the degree of POI shift makes sense?  FWIW the recoil of the HK round (124gr FP) is slightly greater, but still very slight.

I did believe it to be a "real thing".  The magnitude of the effect surprised me.  Note to self, always sight in a new load.  I switched to the slightly heavier bullet because I preferred the feel, but didn't both to shoot any paper.

Normal for different bullet weights (as they relate to different velocities) to shoot at different POI. Velocity equates to a distance traveled in a period of time, so a slower load usually a heavier bullet, but that depends on the load moreover) takes X milliseconds longer to exit the barrel allowing for a smidge more muzzle rise to occur before exiting.