Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Super/9MM Bullet Heads

phil plesetz

That all depends. 38 super is technically .356, and 9mm is .355...but it depends on your barrel. I have a 38 super, and I have ran nothing but .355 through it, as that is what the barrel slugged to. If it is a newer 38 super, it most likely has a .355 barrel in it. What is the make of the super?

The simple answer is yes. 9mm barrel dimensions are all over the place, as are some 38 Super barrels.

Even if the bullets are oversized, no problem. Some people recommend using oversize bullets to ensures a good gas seal and positive rifling engagement. Schuemann recommends a jacketed bullet of .001 to .002 inches larger, and lead bullets .002 to .003 inches larger for the best accuracy.

The original .38 Super was spec'd with a .356 bullet in 1927. Todays commercially manufactured 38 Supers all run 9mm bore dimensions to simplify things, a .001" tighter bore doesnt pose a safety issue and manufacturers don't have to inventory two different bore diameter barrels. Same thing is practiced by every custom pistol maker by stocking short chambered barrels in 9mm bore dimension and finish cuts the chamber per order in either 9 or 38 super. You can use either a .355 or .356 and you'll be fine.

The .355 bore is an advantage in Supers, you can shoot the crap out of them with .355's and if they ever have barrel wear related accuracy loss you can switch to a .356 bullet and can usually get some of the accuracy back.  

Edited by BallisticianX

As I understand it, Colt introduced their Super 38 pistol in 1929 (first ads appeared in December 1928 American Rifleman). It was chambered for the 38 Automatic, which had been around since 1900 in John Browning's Model 1900 pistol. Ads from that time list the cartridge for the new pistol as 38 Automatic. The 38 Super cartridge evolved from that a few years later, around 1933, when Remington started to offer a hotter load for the new guns, and the low pressure version for the old guns. As far as I know, the bullet diameter for the 38 Auto/Super has always been .356. 

Reference: Sheldon, Douglas G. 1997. Colt's Super .38, The Production History From 1929 Through 1971. Quick Vend, Inc. Willernie, MN.

On 1/1/2019 at 6:58 PM, phil plesetz said:

My wife's bullet heads are .356 124 grain PD on her 38 Super, and my bullet heads are .355 124 grain PD on my 9mm. Can I use my .355 on her 38 Super just to standardize and run 1 bullet type?

Thanks,

Yes, you CAN. You'll likely do better consolidating on her .356 bullets for both guns.

At the end of the day, you can work up loads for both pistols with both bullets and test it yourself.  Guns quite often do better with bullets oversized by a thousandth or two.

On 1/10/2019 at 3:03 PM, pcschwenke said:

My 38 super (Schuemann barrel) does best with 0.357 bullets.  As mentioned by many others, you need to test out different diameter bullets or slug your barrel.   Bullet profiles matter a lot as well.   Mine loves the TC style bullets much more than round nose or SWC.  

In both my Schuemann barrels .355 bullets, especially Precision Delta 124 HP, shoot quite well. A#7 & PD 124 HP produce 5 shots into 3/4" at 20 yards out of both my Bedells. A guy I helped get setup to load 38 SC bought .356 PD 124's. I tried some with my current load of A#7 and they shot identical to my .355 version in regard to accuracy and maybe a couple FPS difference. Goes to show each gun will have its own personal preferences...and no single rule applies unilaterally! 

On 1/12/2019 at 10:29 AM, IDescribe said:

Yes, you CAN. You'll likely do better consolidating on her .356 bullets for both guns.

At the end of the day, you can work up loads for both pistols with both bullets and test it yourself.  Guns quite often do better with bullets oversized by a thousandth or two.

" A larger bullet diameter shooting better quite often" is more commonly true with lower velocities. With higher velocities with heavy powder chargers its not a golden rule. With the obturation you get from major and magnum loads the .001" diameter difference has less effect on bore sealing/performance as compared to minor loads and less yet to a powder puff bullseye load etc. With higher velocity major and magnum loads a larger bullet diameter of .002" also carries the possibility of increase chamber pressures....something to consider. One other thing to consider is tighter fit jacketed bullets under higher velocities may increase bore wear.. Ultimately the guns actual bore diameter will dictate what it likes. In Yester years less controlled and gauged manufacturing the bore diameters did vary to where a bullet diameter played a major role in accuracy. Today's advanced processes and gauging techniques deployed by reputable barrel makers have diminished this variable considerably. 

Edited by BallisticianX