Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Walther new steel frame competition Q5

mikeAZ

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, goshimu said:

The grips do look different. The polymer grip is very ergonomic would like to compare the two.

I personally do not like the grips on the polymer gun.The  SF"s groups are very nice.

On 1/18/2019 at 8:41 PM, ngodwetrust21 said:

So would everyone agree that with the introduction of the Q5 SF that the plastic Q5 is now obsolete?

For the experienced gamers where the cost of the gun is insignificant compared to ammo and travel etc. probably.   I'd be willing to be a lot of new shooters who can get a Q5 Match + entire setup, range bag and couple thousand rounds of ammo to shoot for less than the cost of the Q5 Match SF may still chose to go that way starting out to keep the initial investment low.  It would be interesting to see if any shooters prefer a lighter weight handguns in competition.  It doesn't seem that way, I suppose unlike the long guns the time lost in transition is more than made up for in follow up shot time, and the overall weight is still quite low. 

I suspect the Q5 Match will still outsell the Q5 SF at a significant ratio overall.   It's no different than how many Glocks sell compared to Zev's or STI's to SVI's.   Anytime you more than double the price of your product, you are going to lose volume.  I know a lot of guys that own a Q5 Match just as a range gun, most of them will not spend 2.3 times the price for the same gun with a steel frame.   For them at the end of the day the small amount of performance increase is not going to be worth the price jump from $700 to $1600. 

I just got mine. It feels nice in the hand, but two things stick out.

First, I immediately swapped out the springs with the Sprinco springs that everyone uses. When I put these in my poly version I never experienced the "stuck" trigger that people talked about, where if their finger wasn't centered perfectly over the trigger safety they'd fail to engage it. With the SF version, I absolutely do experience it. I'm not sure if this is an acceptable level of finicky or not. I'm going to let someone better than I handle it and see what they think.

Second, if I pull the slide back and let it return very slowly, it tends to catch on something - I can't see what - about a 1/5 of an inch before going fully into battery. I've taken it about and lubed it well, and it still does it. You'd never notice during normal operation, but I notice it when I'm dry firing when I'm barely pulling it back and releasing it gently. Anybody else have this experience with a gun before? 

On 1/14/2019 at 5:18 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

I see. My mistake. Too many guys talking about both models of Walther in this thread. I do not own a steel frame and I do not plan to purchase one. Where does the interference occurs? How is the polymer guide rod shaped differently to clear it?

The interference occurs at the head of the rod where it presses against the take down lever.

Here is the problem:

There is a small nipple on the face of the take down lever where it meets the guide rod. 

The factory rod head has a hole in the center and this nipple fits inside when mated up.

Any available 1/4" guide rod head  has no hole so that when installed the rod head slides downward 

pushing the nipple up and not allowing the lever to remain closed.

The fix:

Drill a 1/8" hole about 1/16" deep in the center of the rod head and all is well.

This works on my non-captured ZR tactical 1/4" rod and my captured 1/4" rod from SS Guide rods.

As always modify at your own risk.  

17 hours ago, TxD said:

The interference occurs at the head of the rod where it presses against the take down lever.

Here is the problem:

There is a small nipple on the face of the take down lever where it meets the guide rod. 

The factory rod head has a hole in the center and this nipple fits inside when mated up.

Any available 1/4" guide rod head  has no hole so that when installed the rod head slides downward 

pushing the nipple up and not allowing the lever to remain closed.

The fix:

Drill a 1/8" hole about 1/16" deep in the center of the rod head and all is well.

This works on my non-captured ZR tactical 1/4" rod and my captured 1/4" rod from SS Guide rods.

As always modify at your own risk.  

That's what I thought was happening on mine when switching guide rods. That is my plan as well, to drill a dimple/hole in the guide rod and check fitment again. 

I've been hemming and hawing on getting a Q5 Match, but with my Canik TP9SFX, I didn't feel like there was enough of a difference to justify. Well, I stopped by one of the shops I frequent, and they had one SF in stock, and it was marked for $1210 (not the pro model). Lowest price I had seen, and I couldn't pass. Had to put in on layaway, but should be picking it up late next week. When they were ringing it up, the price came up at $1340, but since they labelled it wrong, they gave me the $1210 price, Super excited to try this one out.

On 1/8/2019 at 11:08 AM, quliming said:

It is on the production list now.

Looking around, maybe my English is not so good.   Does this imply its OK for CO, but not production?

"

Notes: Added Q5 Match 6/2/2016, updated weight 7/27/16 Added Creed 9mm 2/8/17 Added Q5 Match SF (steel frame) Carry Optics only, without mag well. 1/4/19 .

Creed 9mm 4 inch barrel (26.6 oz.):

21 hours ago, rhett45acp said:

Does this imply its OK for CO, but not production?

That's how I read it.

I'm still a newbie to all of this, and still familiarizing myself with the rules, but anyone have any thoughts why it wouldn't eventually be production legal?