Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Walther new steel frame competition Q5

mikeAZ

I have a Comp Tac Holster that I had for the non steel Q5.  My Walther PPQ Q5 Steel Frame will be at my FFL either Friday or Saturday.  I am not sure if it will fit the Steel Frame Q5 but will try it and let you know.  In the meantime I did place my order with RHT last night.

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, S&W686 said:

I have a Comp Tac Holster that I had for the non steel Q5.  My Walther PPQ Q5 Steel Frame will be at my FFL either Friday or Saturday.  I am not sure if it will fit the Steel Frame Q5 but will try it and let you know.  In the meantime I did place my order with RHT last night.

Thanks. I know there are some differences, so I'm not overly hopeful, but maybe! 

16 minutes ago, Code3FPV said:

I saw a post on instagram showing that you have to modify the normal Q5 match CompTac holster by cutting away the plastic to allow the full length light rail of the SF to fit.

If you had a Kydex holster seems a heat gun would fix the full length dust cover issue without having to cut holster

3 hours ago, HoMiE said:

If you had a Kydex holster seems a heat gun would fix the full length dust cover issue without having to cut holster

Harbor Freight has a cheap one. Very useful for lighting charcoal without lighter fluid (and faster) on the high setting and drying your gun out after a rainy match (after removing the plastic bits, of course) on the low setting. https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-watt-dual-temperature-heat-gun-572-1112-96289.html 

I think a more even comparison would be a SP01 Shadow vs the sf as they're both much closer in weight. Then their different characteristics I think would be more apparent.

Also, to the dudes in the video look at your torso when you shoot. Nine minor is standing you up and moving your whole upper body backwards. You're not taking full advantage of a good grip if your stance is letting this happen.

On 1/10/2019 at 10:05 AM, Bryamill said:

I have a RHT holster on order, but I'm sure that will be 30 days or more. Any other holsters ready to go? To hold me until the RHT comes in? I haven't been able to find anything. 

Veil Solutions has one, but they tell me they're shipping them all to Walther as fast as they can make them.

Edited by Jeff O

1 hour ago, Fasthenk65 said:

Don't see much difference... Desperately anticipating first guys coming in who actually shot it to share opinions.

As with this video and others posted to social media, I notice the muzzle of the Q5 SF dipping when the slide returns to battery. Others have commented it may be a grip issue of the shooter or that the gun may be slightly over sprung from factory.

That’s all I have observed at this point, but it does look like a nice shooting pistol. 

shot  mine today for the first time.  very very easy to manage.  easy to be accurate.  got a holosun 570c at the range (got a great deal on it too).  overall, i can see why this will be a good choice. sights drop back to your initial picture quickly without having to adjust too much.  trigger is ok.  overall truly fantastic.!

pic is 5 shot groups at 10 yards after sigthing in (federal premium 147gr)

1.jpg

2.jpg

1 hour ago, vactor said:

shot  mine today for the first time.  very very easy to manage.  easy to be accurate.  got a holosun 570c at the range (got a great deal on it too).  overall, i can see why this will be a good choice. sights drop back to your initial picture quickly without having to adjust too much.  trigger is ok.  overall truly fantastic.!

pic is 5 shot groups at 10 yards after sigthing in (federal premium 147gr)

1.jpg

2.jpg

Thanx! Do you have any comparison eg to CZ's?

well, a tuned up shadow definitely has a better single action trigger.  but this is more balanced to stay on target after recoil.  balance makes it easier for me.  but, the best part of this  gun is the trigger reset for try fire because of the trigger return spring.  to me, that will make this much easier to really get better with since you can train your muscles for the continual trigger pull in dry fire since it mostly resets.  it's as accurate or moreso than an accu shadow and has a faster time getting sights back on target for me.  and better dry fire.  i'll trade that for the accu single action trigger.  

49 minutes ago, vactor said:

well, a tuned up shadow definitely has a better single action trigger.  but this is more balanced to stay on target after recoil.  balance makes it easier for me.  but, the best part of this  gun is the trigger reset for try fire because of the trigger return spring.  to me, that will make this much easier to really get better with since you can train your muscles for the continual trigger pull in dry fire since it mostly resets.  it's as accurate or moreso than an accu shadow and has a faster time getting sights back on target for me.  and better dry fire.  i'll trade that for the accu single action trigger.  

Tnx. I check them out when they arrive in my small country!

On 1/11/2019 at 1:22 PM, BritinUSA said:

They are over sprung… 17lb is the recoil spring from the factory… my polymer Q5 runs great with a 13lb… 132PF

Can you please elaborate on your spring and recoil rod combination?

On my SF, I have tried the uncaptured ss rod from ZR Tac and a Wilson 5" 13 lb flatwire and the take down lever will not close.

This combo is discussed as working in the polymer Q5 . I can confirm it will not work in the Q5 SF.

Suggestions anyone?

9 hours ago, TxD said:

Can you please elaborate on your spring and recoil rod combination?

On my SF, I have tried the uncaptured ss rod from ZR Tac and a Wilson 5" 13 lb flatwire and the take down lever will not close.

This combo is discussed as working in the polymer Q5 . I can confirm it will not work in the Q5 SF.

Suggestions 

Edited by Prov1x

9 hours ago, TxD said:

Suggestions anyone?

Take the factory guide rod apart and change the spring. No need to buy a different guide rod.

Instructions are on Page 29 of the Instruction Manual.

12 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

Take the factory guide rod apart and change the spring. No need to buy a different guide rod.

Instructions are on Page 29 of the Instruction Manual.

Thanks for the info.

On another subject.

A  Blade Tech CZ Shadow holster will fit the Q5 SF.

Just remove the tension screws and replace them with longer screws and longer hose spacers.

No heating required and feels like it was made for the gun.