Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Walther new steel frame competition Q5

mikeAZ

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curious to see how many non competition shooters buy this.  I suspect the high MSRP is to balance out expected low volume among non competition shooters so that Walther won't lose too much money experimenting this idea.  I'd love to buy one but not at $1200+ a piece.  $900 would be good and $800 I will get a couple :)

Edited by Dazhi

7 hours ago, Mercs said:

If I’m a betting man...and I am... I would wager that we see a flood of used CZ and Tanfo DA/SA CO and production guns hit the used market this year and the prices will drop. Just a note for purchase planning purposes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you betting on a blue wave?  Maybe a trickle, yes. 

So what does this gun really have over the plastic frame Q5 Match?  It's 2x the price, but from what I'm seeing it's basically the same slide/barrel/controls, optics cut, etc.   Don't get me wrong I really like the Q5 Match and the idea of a steel frame on one is nice, I just don't think it's 200% markup nice.

The only differences I really see are of course the steel frame, +2 mag floorplates, and magwell. 

Is the trigger significantly better, is the barrel/lockup better?   I mean it's a HUGE price increase over the normal Q5 Match.   We're talking CZ TSO prices here, $150 more gets you a STI Edge, $400 less gets you a Shadow 2,  or you could by 2 Q5 Match guns.

2 hours ago, toddm said:

So what does this gun really have over the plastic frame Q5 Match? 

Perception of superiority.

(1) Price = Quality. Until now the CZ and Tanfo were upper tier in price. Therefore, obviously, they’re what you spluge on as a C class - trying to buy the skill to get into B.

(2) Striker guns take drop-in parts and triggers without fitting. They hit primers hard on the first shot. Slide stops, sears, and hammers aren’t wearing out every 10k - 40k rounds. They just run. And when they stop, you drop parts in and know they’ll work without polishing and fitting. Think about what that means. People were willing to put up with all that nonsense, PLUS pay $500 over plastic, PLUS work to master the DA/SA transition... all just to gain the percieved advantage of a 40+ ounce frame. 

That’s one hell of an advantage, in the minds of competitive gun buyers.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Also, my non-optics CZ Accushadow 2 was around 2k, so I really don’t see why everyone is so concerned about the price. You gotta pay to play. Well, you really don’t have to in Carry Optics, because most of us aren’t realistically doing a lot worse because of what material our grip is made of. But if you want the best Shtuff, it’s going to cost you. Quality metal grips are expensive.

8 hours ago, Silverscooby27 said:

Also, my non-optics CZ Accushadow 2 was around 2k, so I really don’t see why everyone is so concerned about the price. You gotta pay to play. Well, you really don’t have to in Carry Optics, because most of us aren’t realistically doing a lot worse because of what material our grip is made of. But if you want the best Shtuff, it’s going to cost you. Quality metal grips are expensive.

Sure but when you pay that extra $700 for the Accushadow 2, you are getting a lot for that $750 markup.   Significantly better trigger job (shorter reset, hand fit disconnector, custom hammer, lighter shorter pull, better reset), hand fit slide,  various other hand fit parts, different barrel bushing setup, 3" 50yd accuracy guarantee, etc.  To me that's a lot above and beyond what a stock Shadow 2 is.    

Shooting is never a cheap sport and certainly ammo will always be more expensive than any of our guns over the long run, but to me, and I'm happy to be in the minority, if a company doubles the price of a gun, I want more than just a metal grip and a couple base pads.   You can buy a Q5 Match for <$700 delivered, so this is almost $900 for a steel frame, +2 base pads, and magwell on the same internals/slide/trigger/barrel.  It's not that I can't afford it, but to me that's asking a lot for a grip, magwell, and base pads.  If it fit my "game" needs I might be more inclined to overlook the upcharge for its current uniqueness.   Again I've spent way more than this on several guns, but I at some point it becomes the principle of what you get charged for what they are offering.   This is how we ended up with $800 bipods and $3000 tripods for precision rifles. 

Edited by toddm

Cost: The gun is a bit high for me to make the jump without getting to shoot one first. 

Steel Frame: I'm glad to hear that I'm not completely nuts in not falling all over myself about less recoil in a heavy gun. I was able to put about 100 rounds through a friend's Tangfo and thought that recoil might have been a bit less, but much more sharp in feel than my 34. (That SA trigger was sweet though!) 

Options: Again, I'm only 2 years in, but I'm about to turn 50. The eyes aren't great and I can see (pun intended) trying out CO in the future. If I left Glock the Q5SF makes a lot of sense. 

I just ordered the Standard Model from OakHillGuns.  I should have it in my hands Monday or Tuesday of next week.  As soon as I can get to the range I will come back and give a range report on the gun.

Edited by S&W686

USPSA on Facebook says now legal for carry optics...they probably meant production since guns have to be on production gun approved list for carry optics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk