Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Walther new steel frame competition Q5

mikeAZ

I am really thinking about one of these but have never held a Q5. I have pretty big hands and the grip looks so short on these. Anyone with bigs hands run a Q5 have some feed back. I know big hands is subjective my palm is about 4 3/4” across wear xl or xxl gloves. 

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

But... you also don’t have to dump $300 worth of CGW parts into the gun.

If you want a 2.75-3.0lb walther trigger, you simply install two springs from sprinco. You don’t even go past a field stripping of the frame in order to do it.

Any problems with primers other than federals with light springs? 

I am really thinking about one of these but have never held a Q5. I have pretty big hands and the grip looks so short on these. Anyone with bigs hands run a Q5 have some feed back. I know big hands is subjective my palm is about 4 3/4” across wear xl or xxl gloves. 
It might work for you with a magwell, but probably not without.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

So we think it'll make the weight for CO with extended mag and optic? Unlike Shadow 2, I don't see much room to shave off any weight with aftermarket work, and I can't find specs with weight on SF.

Edited by YVK

27 minutes ago, YVK said:

So we think it'll make the weight for CO with extended mag and optic? Unlike Shadow 2, I don't see much room to shave off any weight with aftermarket work, and I can't find specs with weight on SF.

Standard 41.6 oz, Pro 42.3 oz

2 hours ago, Shooter212 said:

I am really thinking about one of these but have never held a Q5. I have pretty big hands and the grip looks so short on these. Anyone with bigs hands run a Q5 have some feed back. I know big hands is subjective my palm is about 4 3/4” across wear xl or xxl gloves

You likely won’t like it. The polymer Q5 and PPQ (frames are identical like G17 and G34) have a frame that is closer in height to a G19 than a 17/34 “fullsize” height frame.

I am size L glove, and find it forces my hand to choke up high on the gun to gain sufficient space; this is a feature I love about the PPQ.

Others with larger hands or fatter ones (I have long skinny fingers) have been less than complimentary of how my Walthers feel.

55 minutes ago, YVK said:

Gun weighs 41.6 oz

You lose a little bit of weight ditching the plate with an adjustable sight for the blank one that mounts a dot. Perhaps half an ounce?

My Deltapoint Pro is one of the heavier dots, at 1.9oz.

That should put you right at 43-43.5oz.

Now, I just got my scale out for the following. These are exact weights, so hopefully the gun’s 41.6oz weight is listed with a magazine inserted!

Factory 15rd mag:

3.00 oz

23rd mag (TTI pad, grams guts for P320:)

4.13oz

Edited by MemphisMechanic

3 hours ago, Shooter212 said:

I am really thinking about one of these but have never held a Q5. I have pretty big hands and the grip looks so short on these. Anyone with bigs hands run a Q5 have some feed back. I know big hands is subjective my palm is about 4 3/4” across wear xl or xxl gloves

Sounds like we have similar sized hands. I had a Q5 and loved everything about it except the grip was too short for me. I could get all four fingers on the grip with no problem, but some palm hung off the bottom edge of the grip. Not an issue when shooting, but on a couple of occasions I pinched the crap out of my hand during a reload. That ultimately led me to sell it. Shame.....its a great pistol otherwise. 

52 minutes ago, thx1138jt said:

Weight is with empty mag. 

Specs:

https://www.waltherarms.com/handguns/q5-match-steel-frame/

Thanks for the link, their site wasn't working on the cell phone for some reason. 

Specs say "weight empty", hopefully it means "with empty mag", as the photo next to specs implies.

Edited by YVK

I just Replaced my G17 because it was getting pretty clapped out. I got a Shadow 2 just because, I wish I would have known this was coming. My girlfriend and son both shoot a Q5 but it just don’t fit my hands. The grip on the Q5 SF is obviously bigger. If these things hit the shelves soon I might go for it.

Anyone know if they will sell the frame to upgrade existing Q5’s?

If I’m a betting man...and I am... I would wager that we see a flood of used CZ and Tanfo DA/SA CO and production guns hit the used market this year and the prices will drop. Just a note for purchase planning purposes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm 2 years in to Production with a G34. Have been considering a Gen 5 MOS FS for the spring. I think I'll wait for now until I get the opportunity to fondle the Q5 SF. I don't have the desire to go to a DA/SA gun or the smithing that seems to be needed on them. A heavy striker gun with a good trigger might make me move from my beloved Glocks. 

@Slalom45 good move.

I shot Glock 2 years, M&P for six, then spent 9 months or so with a Tanfoglio. I’m back on a polymer gun and just generally much happier.

Even GMs like @wtturn have made the switch back to plastic.

You don’t shoot any faster or straighter, and the guns need a lot more maintanence with everything just generally being more expensive.

Sure they’re accurate and shoot really shoftly, but soft doesn’t matter than much. Grip and rip.

This steel Walther might well be the best of both worlds. Soft, but with striker-gun trigger job simplicity and consistency.

45 minutes ago, Slalom45 said:

I'm 2 years in to Production with a G34. Have been considering a Gen 5 MOS FS for the spring. I think I'll wait for now until I get the opportunity to fondle the Q5 SF. I don't have the desire to go to a DA/SA gun or the smithing that seems to be needed on them. A heavy striker gun with a good trigger might make me move from my beloved Glocks. 

Handle the Walther and check it out, but I picked up the Gen 5 MOS FS for my 2019 season and I really like it.  The cocking serrations are a nice feature, but that magwell is ginormous, especially once you put a good grip plug on it.  Trigger is a hair better than previous gens out of the box and it cleans up nice with a little work.  I see no reason to put a kit in this one.

In the end, the gun doesn't matter a whole lot. 

26 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Even GMs like @wtturn have made the switch back to plastic.

You don’t shoot any faster or straighter, and the guns need a lot more maintanence with everything just generally being more expensive.

Sure they’re accurate and shoot really shoftly, but soft doesn’t matter than much. Grip and rip.

Maybe paradoxically, I never felt like the steel gun shot more softly.  I always had the sensation that the Glock recoil was more flippy but up and down.  The CZ was more straight back, but harder hitting and prone to lateral bias.  I'm sure something to do with mass and momentum.  

I have to work much harder to control a steel gun in recoil for whatever reason.

I’m in the same boat. Been shooting G34 and wanted to change to a metal gun. Was looking at Tanfo Lim Pro because I want to use same  gun for USPSA and IDPA. But don’t like the DA/SA due to my small hands and short fingers. The Alien was interesting up until the $5000 price tag came out. The Q5 sf might be the ticket. 

11 minutes ago, wtturn said:

Maybe paradoxically, I never felt like the steel gun shot more softly.  I always had the sensation that the Glock recoil was more flippy but up and down.  The CZ was more straight back, but harder hitting and prone to lateral bias.  I'm sure something to do with mass and momentum.  

I have to work much harder to control a steel gun in recoil for whatever reason.

Interesting. I love the way the Tanfo tracked, but I came from a $hitbox of an M&P. Soooo yeah.

;) 

A lot of people dislike the snappy recoil of the Walthers. I love it. If my grip is doing it’s job, the gun just works for me.

Then I carved 4oz out of the slide on my Carry Optics PPQ. Hooooly hell is that thing snappy. But flat.

46 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

There has never been a well articulated reason why a striker fired mechanism couldn't be in a metal framed pistol. I think this is an interesting step.

I don't know if it was so much a question as to whether striker-fired pistolcould have metal frames, but whether they should - a question of whether there's a market for it or not. Seems Walther is willing to take that bet, and I imagine it will pay off for them. Hopefully it encourages other manufacturers to follow suit.

Another example of a metal-framed striker-fired pistol would be the forthcoming NEMO Arms Monark;

https://nemoarms.com/products/pistols

56 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

There has never been a well articulated reason why a striker fired mechanism couldn't be in a metal framed pistol. I think this is an interesting step.

Cost. Nobody wants to buy a $1500 unless they think it will make them shoot better.