Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Walther new steel frame competition Q5

mikeAZ

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, B_RAD said:

What hammer fired gun are you shooting that's unreliable?

Not calling any guns out just generally speaking in terms of striker fire are generally easier to maintain in my experience. Sending to gun smith really referring to trigger job more than anything but could apply to needing to be tuned as well. 

18 minutes ago, guns_and_labs said:

This looks like a potential winner in Production, SSP, or either carry optics choice. I really like the Q5 trigger, but that thing is way flippy.

On the idpa side it'll probably see plenty of use in both esp and ssp (assuming it makes weight with the magwell installed, which i would be surprised if it doesn't).

What would be interesting is if a 4" version comes out that could be used in ccp. To be honest a steel frame version of the q4 tac would be neat just in general (although not super useful for competition).

Edited by random_guy7531
derp spelling

36 minutes ago, guns_and_labs said:

I really like the Q5 trigger, but that thing is way flippy.

I think when people say that they primarily mean snappy.

I don’t notice increased muzzle rise over anything else; at least... if they’re both gripped hard I get the same splits and hits during a bill drill as I did with a 45oz Tanfoglio Stock III.

The felt recoil is a bit higher than even another polymer gun like a Glock, sure. But that doesn’t affect stage scores if the sights are back just as quickly.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

...but I’ve heard reports that TTI baspads might be a hair too tall ot fit the gauge on some PPQ mags.

I had to grind mine to ensure a fit, I have an EGW mag gauge... I’ve never understood why pads are made so close to the limits, cutting 1-2mm off the overall length won’t affect capacity.

I have always found the Q5 grip a bit short, dimensionally closer to a G19 then the G17/34 length I prefer. I realize that would require new magazines, but for a dedicated gaming gun, I think that would have been worthwhile. 

Very interested in the new beaver tail design, as the rear corner of the Q5/PPQ frame whacks the base of my dominant thumb. 

I love the idea of this gun. I really think if you were to list the things we want as comp shooters, this is the kind of thing an outside-the-box designer would come up with. An ergonomic grip. Same light trigger pull every time with short reset. Steel frame for soaking up recoil. FO front sight/ adjustable rear. As my friend pointed out, the only thing left to tune is the recoil spring. If this thing performs as we expect, I hope it is a huge success.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Too late in the offseason.  I already committed to buying 2 Arex Alphas for competition season.  Was looking for a full metal frame 9mm and AA was the only option that worked for me and IDPA.  IF they would have announced something 2 months ago........I would have waited.   My buddy went from the polymer Q5 to a Glock just last month.  He talked to Walther and got no solid info about this new gun so he didn't think it was happening and went Glock.  Oh well, maybe next year.  And if this thing doesn't fit in the IDPA box, they will be missing a huge opportunity.  

The new Q5 Match SF is a great looking and feeling gun. The quality of machining is fantastic and the fact that you are getting a steel framed production and carry optics gun in one package is remarkable! Is there another steel framed gun that is production and carry optics ready out of the box? I know the shadow 2 carry optics model is coming out but not sure if it had the sights on the plate or not. 

The recoil in the Q5 SF is very comparable to a shadow 2, even with the factory recoil spring installed. Once I tune the recoil spring to my reloads and my liking, was running a 13# flatwire wilson combat 1911 spring and a full length tungsten guide rod in my regular Q5 match, I believe it will be an even flatter shooting gun. The plastic Q5 ran pretty flat in that configuration so I can't see whey it wouldn't be an even better set up in the SF. 

The magwell on the gun makes reloads a breeze and is held in place by the roll pin in the back, so it's removable for Production division. The grip is the same length as the regular Q5 Match but the grips circumference is larger with great checkering on the grips and front strap as well. The grip panels are removable and some G10 grips are in the works and should be available soon as are some replaceable smaller grips. If you have the Q5 Match now, it feels somewhat comparable to the large grip panel installed on that gun, but just a bit wider.

I really think this gun will be a big seller for Walther

8 minutes ago, Dazhi said:

MSRP is nearly $300 more than Stock 2 and Shadow 2 (both are in $1200 range).  

But you can't shoot those same guns in CO without having to modify them and then buy another gun to shoot production with. At least not that I know of, so the MSRP would seem to justify that option.

The new shadow 2 CO gun doesn't need modified but it doesn't look like it has sights on the plate so not sure if production would be an option with it or not. Maybe shot show will have the answer. 

Edited by Prov1x

2 hours ago, Prov1x said:

The new shadow 2 CO gun doesn't need modified but it doesn't look like it has sights on the plate so not sure if production would be an option with it or not. Maybe shot show will have the answer. 

The Shadow 2 Optic Ready models in Canada are arriving with a rear sight plate and sights on the gun but you need to purchase an $80 Optic mount for your specific optic. 

Will it fit in the IDPA box???  What about the pro model??  They both are under 43oz with the mag. but it has to fit in the box???????

The pro model is 8.7 long 5.9 height and 1.3 width 

the idpa box is   8.75 long 6 height and    1.6 width 

So on paper it should fit but before i spend $1500 msrp i want to be sure!

Edited by Bobforshak

5 hours ago, Dazhi said:

MSRP is nearly $300 more than Stock 2 and Shadow 2 (both are in $1200 range).  

But... you also don’t have to dump $300 worth of CGW parts into the gun.

If you want a 2.75-3.0lb walther trigger, you simply install two springs from sprinco. You don’t even go past a field stripping of the frame in order to do it.