Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Walther new steel frame competition Q5

mikeAZ

Xav91, I'm having FTE as well, shows up every 100-150 rounds as double feed with empty case loose in the chamber.  Have the same loose mags pushing to left, same witness mark on slide, but no noticeable mark on mags.  Not clear to me how the slide interference would cause my double feed, but certainly can see that it could interfere with cycling forward, which is a critical step with this pistol needing to cock the striker spring at the end of forward movement.   To try to fix the failures to extract before seeing your post, I increased tension on the extractor, noticed it was straight, while the same part on PPQ M2 had a little curve along the tail.  Added a slight curve.  No further issue seen in next 500 rounds.  Testing tension by having extractor hold onto a round seemed to be fine before adjustment, however.  Was just about to send it back to Walther.  

Looking at my CZ SP-01 Shadow Custom, would note it had various surfaces rounded down from factory by the custom shop to improve function.   Looking the same place as the witness mark, both corners of that portion of the slide are ground down much more than you are showing from either the shop or usage.  Only a slight amount of wiggle play in the CZ mags.

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/3/2019 at 10:23 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

Yes. That’s what I’ve been running. A tight 23(+1, if needed) to start, and 22 easily reloadable. You’ll have to grind the tab off the follower that locks the gun open but it works great otherwise.

There’s a recipe I was just turned on to by another shooter which uses a Canik mag tube and apparently gets you a reloadable 23. I haven’t tried it, and don’t know how “reloadable” it is.

23 in a Walther/TTI/Grahams320 recipe is reloadable, if you drive it in hard and distract yourself from the stage plan to ensure that it’s seated. With 22 in them the click into place as easily as a factory mag.

The recipe suggested is below. I’m 125fmj, and he hasn’t returned to answer my questions yet:

AA270CAC-0C46-40C4-BEE5-8B2BF8434FB4.thumb.jpeg.d4b497029b3d0db6807bcc2a2d39d451.jpeg

I have the q5 sf and bought the tti base pads +5 also bought Graham’s springs and follower and I cut off the tab for lock back and 2 out of the 3 mags only load 19 rounds and 1 of them loads 22. Any ideas I measured the base pads they are all the same?  The springs are the same 11 coil. Probably something simple but I can’t figure it out?

2 hours ago, dfox said:

I have the q5 sf and bought the tti base pads +5 also bought Graham’s springs and follower and I cut off the tab for lock back and 2 out of the 3 mags only load 19 rounds and 1 of them loads 22. Any ideas I measured the base pads they are all the same?  The springs are the same 11 coil. Probably something simple but I can’t figure it out?

I haven’t heard of this one. At 19 that means the follower is not coming down into the extension.

Try smacking the baspad really hard on a table at 18-19, seeing if things shift. That’s common for 2011 Limited shooters to do at first.

I know at least 4 guys running the TTI & Grams P320 combo and we’ve all gotten 23 from the very first try.

My Pro model just came in today, so that tells me the April batch is now here!

Mine doesn’t seem to have the extreme magazine side to side play on initial inspection, but its also still a virgin.  Will get some rounds downrange with it tomorrow.  

TTI +5 baseplates just barely fit with the Pro magwell (on a PPQ M2 mag body and follower for 20 total). 

On 3/22/2019 at 6:09 AM, Zmaniac said:

Xav91, I'm having FTE as well, shows up every 100-150 rounds as double feed with empty case loose in the chamber.  Have the same loose mags pushing to left, same witness mark on slide, but no noticeable mark on mags.  Not clear to me how the slide interference would cause my double feed, but certainly can see that it could interfere with cycling forward, which is a critical step with this pistol needing to cock the striker spring at the end of forward movement.   To try to fix the failures to extract before seeing your post, I increased tension on the extractor, noticed it was straight, while the same part on PPQ M2 had a little curve along the tail.  Added a slight curve.  No further issue seen in next 500 rounds.  Testing tension by having extractor hold onto a round seemed to be fine before adjustment, however.  Was just about to send it back to Walther.  

Looking at my CZ SP-01 Shadow Custom, would note it had various surfaces rounded down from factory by the custom shop to improve function.   Looking the same place as the witness mark, both corners of that portion of the slide are ground down much more than you are showing from either the shop or usage.  Only a slight amount of wiggle play in the CZ mags.

Thank you for the info. I haven't shot the gun again and still have not send it to walther. I have a big match this weekend, so I ended up redrawing the plastic guides (thicker) and I'm having them printed. I should have them tomorrow. That should solve the wiggle problem...

23 hours ago, Xav91 said:

Thank you for the info. I haven't shot the gun again and still have not send it to walther. I have a big match this weekend, so I ended up redrawing the plastic guides (thicker) and I'm having them printed. I should have them tomorrow. That should solve the wiggle problem...

If that works will you share the .stl file for those of us with printers?

I ended up redrawing the plastic guides (thicker) and I'm having them printed. I should have them tomorrow. That should solve the wiggle problem...

If that works, you have a new business, let us know.

On 3/25/2019 at 6:57 AM, dfox said:

Make sure the bottom of your spring doesn't get kinked and flipped over when you put your base pads on. This has happened to me a couple times with my P320 mags using Grams spring and follower kits, always made it so I could only get 18 rounds into the magazine when it should be 23 when done correctly. You just have to tinker around with it to make sure everything assembles correctly

9 minutes ago, thx1138jt said:

@Xav91

Wondering how your new plastic guides worked out. Did it solve the issue?

Yes I believe I did, but I need  few more days to be sure. I had to do a little fitting out of the first set. Mag aligns perfectly. I left enough play they can go in and out easily. Shot 250 rds at practice without any issue so I took it to shoot a sanctioned IDPA match this past weekend. The gun ran perfectly well. 

I have been traveling since so I have not taken the gun down to clean and inspect it, but I will and post an update once I'm back home. So prior to inspection, i think the functionality issue is solved.

1 hour ago, jojima said:

Can anyone post a picture of their Grams P320 follower modified with the tab ground down?   Thanks in advance.

Just cut or sand off the tab so that you have straight plastic down the side of the follower. Extremely simple.

It just needs to avoid contact with the inside of the gun when an empty mag is inserted. Stick it in, and you’ll see what to shave off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2019 at 12:01 AM, Xav91 said:

Yes I believe I did, but I need  few more days to be sure. I had to do a little fitting out of the first set. Mag aligns perfectly. I left enough play they can go in and out easily. Shot 250 rds at practice without any issue so I took it to shoot a sanctioned IDPA match this past weekend. The gun ran perfectly well. 

I have been traveling since so I have not taken the gun down to clean and inspect it, but I will and post an update once I'm back home. So prior to inspection, i think the functionality issue is solved.

So, little update. Yes, the new guides fixed the lineup issue. However, there was definitely more going on. I ended up sending it back to walther last week. 

I let you know what's the diagnosis and what they fix...

12 hours ago, Xav91 said:

So, little update. Yes, the new guides fixed the lineup issue. However, there was definitely more going on. I ended up sending it back to walther last week. 

I let you know what's the diagnosis and what they fix...

Did you ever try change in guide rod/spring weight?