Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Walther new steel frame competition Q5

mikeAZ

Could you clarify what you mean by adjusting the drop safety? Doesn't the Springco Spring kit make the trigger more finicky?   Even before spring kit, safety was engaging with any angle of finger on trigger, so reduced it's engagement on the frame. There's the back of the safety that hits the frame, I reduced the bottom that sits at a right angle or so to the back until it cleared.   Still has plenty of engagement, but safety will clear with any good trigger pull now.

Did you notch a little hole in your guide rod?

Yes

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, himurax13 said:

Could you clarify what you mean by adjusting the drop safety?

Factory on left, exaggerated adjustment on right.

C3014F19-1360-47B7-993C-AE6F8693B833.jpeg.78c36d7e6f3a9a727a7d01ad2c6e621d.jpeg

11 hours ago, himurax13 said:

Doesn't the Springco Spring kit make the trigger more finicky?

Yes. It does. The spring in the safety blade is nearly as strong as the trigger spring now. It’s easy to move the trigger back and pin the safety against the frame with any imperfect pull.

Yes. It does. The spring in the safety blade is nearly as strong as the trigger spring now. It’s easy to move the trigger back and pin the safety against the frame with any imperfect pull.
Thanks for the illustration. If I pull from the very top of the trigger, the safety almost always engages. This sucks especially since I am going for a high grip with short fingers.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Jeff O said:

OK, having failures to eject with 130 PF match ammo. Ejection pattern indicates too strong a recoil spring. Anybody delt w this?

Yes ...a modified  guide rod is needed in my opinion. The first I did was a BT guide rod and captured spring it comes with and this was already way better then stock SF spring. I’ll have my other ready soon with 13# soon and really looking forward to it.

19 minutes ago, Jeff O said:

What are you using for GR/Spring? BT guide rodrod?????

Most any PPQ  guide rod will work. Just drill same size hole as back of one in SF (1/8” worked for me). When I re-assemble the pistol I do have to kind of push down on the take down lever to get to snap into place but it’s ran flawless, including 6 stage match this past weekend.

BT guide rod 

ZR Tactical

Not in a SF. The guide rod is bigger. 

I am running a Wolff in my SF. No issues. The tapered end of the spring needs to be widened slightly to fit over the guide rod. Any set of needle nose can address that issue.

One can also make the Apex trigger work as well provided you mill a bit off the front of the trigger to let it extend properly, then trim the safety dingus to fit. Once I’m home I can provide some photos.

5 minutes ago, Aceyduce said:

I am running a Wolff in my SF. No issues. The tapered end of the spring needs to be widened slightly to fit over the guide rod. Any set of needle nose can address that issue.

One can also make the Apex trigger work as well provided you mill a bit off the front of the trigger to let it extend properly, then trim the safety dingus to fit. Once I’m home I can provide some photos.

My mistake. I missed the wolff part and automatically thought ismi. 

1 hour ago, PokerNGuns said:

Yes ...a modified  guide rod is needed in my opinion. The first I did was a BT guide rod and captured spring it comes with and this was already way better then stock SF spring. I’ll have my other ready soon with 13# soon and really looking forward to it.

Hi everyone, sorry in advance, I'm probably going to bum everybody. the failure to extract has nothing to do with the recoil spring or guide rod. I have had this issue randomly since I got the gun about a month ago. I thought it just needed a break-in period. Now, after about 1200 rds, I still have the problem and more.

What I found is that the magazine is interfering with the slide. The magazine well is oversized I think. It allow too much clearance. On mine, the mag can move about 2.5/3mm laterally. It's huge! On the polymer Q5, it's only 1mm max. My slide already has witness marks. I talked to Walther today, I'm shipping mine to them tomorrow. I don't really how they can fix it, unless it's  those plastic guides that are not thick enough. I made a video of the issue, I will post the link as soon ad it's uploaded tonight.

15 hours ago, Xav91 said:

Hi everyone, sorry in advance, I'm probably going to bum everybody. the failure to extract has nothing to do with the recoil spring or guide rod. I have had this issue randomly since I got the gun about a month ago. I thought it just needed a break-in period. Now, after about 1200 rds, I still have the problem and more.

What I found is that the magazine is interfering with the slide. The magazine well is oversized I think. It allow too much clearance. On mine, the mag can move about 2.5/3mm laterally. It's huge! On the polymer Q5, it's only 1mm max. My slide already has witness marks. I talked to Walther today, I'm shipping mine to them tomorrow. I don't really how they can fix it, unless it's  those plastic guides that are not thick enough. I made a video of the issue, I will post the link as soon ad it's uploaded tonight.

I just uploaded the video and some pics on youtube. Sorry, it's a bit long. Let me know if anyone has the same issue.

Edited by Xav91
Had to upload the video again. Link has changed.

23 minutes ago, Jeff O said:

Went up to the range and shot the gun again. Only used the mags that came with the gun. No issues. Extra Walther PPQ mags no bueno. ??????

I measured the mag from my Q5 and from Q5 SF with a micrometer. There are exactly the same. I have the same interference with all the mags I have.

24 minutes ago, Jeff O said:

Went up to the range and shot the gun again. Only used the mags that came with the gun. No issues. Extra Walther PPQ mags no bueno. ??????

If you have the Pro version the standard 15 rd mags will not work due to the magwell. I assume that is why the Pro version comes with 17 rd mags and specific mag base plates. 

6 hours ago, Xav91 said:

I just uploaded the video and some pics on youtube. Sorry, it's a bit long. Let me know if anyone has the same issue.

Mine also shows slight chip and has more magazine play than poly Q5.

Be curious what you find out. Mine went to Walther early on but no real discovery as their factory tested ammo worked.

I and others have had much better luck after changing recoil guide and spring so could be masking the friction issue?

Edited by PokerNGuns

I really appreciate the info on this forum.  I already put money down on a SF, so naturally I'm very interested in this issue as it seems like it could be a serious design defect.

So how many FTEs are we talking about here?  Anybody have significant numbers of rounds downrange with NO failures?  I'm seeing echos of this on the Walther forums now, and with only 2-300 guns out there now, that's not good for the next batch of 2,000 due in a few weeks here.

I'm not in a rush to get a new competition gun, the new SF just seemed like exactly what the doctor ordered, but I won't accept a gun that malfunctions once a match.   I've been using a Walther P99 AS for literally 10 years now, and I can't remember how many years its been since I saw a failure of any kind.  Side to side play on the magazine measures ~0.065" or 1.6mm and there is really no way for the magazine to contact the slide at either extreme.

Its not good news that Walther took one gun back and decided it couldn't reproduce the issue.  That tells me they may be in denial or completely unaware as of yet there there is an issue.

Should I refuse to accept the gun that I paid for from the dealer when it shows up?

1 hour ago, Chrome308 said:

I really appreciate the info on this forum.  I already put money down on a SF, so naturally I'm very interested in this issue as it seems like it could be a serious design defect.

So how many FTEs are we talking about here?  Anybody have significant numbers of rounds downrange with NO failures?  I'm seeing echos of this on the Walther forums now, and with only 2-300 guns out there now, that's not good for the next batch of 2,000 due in a few weeks here.

I'm not in a rush to get a new competition gun, the new SF just seemed like exactly what the doctor ordered, but I won't accept a gun that malfunctions once a match.   I've been using a Walther P99 AS for literally 10 years now, and I can't remember how many years its been since I saw a failure of any kind.  Side to side play on the magazine measures ~0.065" or 1.6mm and there is really no way for the magazine to contact the slide at either extreme.

Its not good news that Walther took one gun back and decided it couldn't reproduce the issue.  That tells me they may be in denial or completely unaware as of yet there there is an issue.

Should I refuse to accept the gun that I paid for from the dealer when it shows up?

The ammo has nothing to do with it, nor does the guide rod or recoil springspring. And I think I am getting less FTE as the gun is literally getting "break-in". I think they can solve the issue easily by replacing the plastic guide that are inside the mag well with thicker ones. I just won't accept that the gun is getting damage after only 1000 rds... I will post what response I get from Walther.

21 hours ago, Xav91 said:

Thanks for the video, will be curious how Walther fixes this

OK, you.re gonna think I'm nuts, but here goes. A buddy stacked two 1 1/2" long pieces of electrical tape on the left, back side of the mag at the very top. Slop reduced to acceptable, mags still drop free. A fix until Walther catches up and enlarges the plastic spacer(s) - probably left side only.