Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VP9 Cool Fire Trainer

mcracco

If anyone cares Cool Fire Trainer recently came out with kits for VP9 and P30L. Since I have a couple 3 VP9's for competition I bought a kit and installed on my dry fire VP9. Pretty much works as expected.

I get 8 or so good shots out of a CO2 charge. The laser attachment is cool but with it attached I cannot holster gun and the laser has to be removed for every charge. Laser removes and installs very quickly but I have not been using it because of the holster fit issue. The other thing is as the gun is used the "barrel" and slide become cold due to thermodynamics. After ten charges what was 8-9 shots per charge is now 6-7 shots. Not a huge deal and I have to say it is the first time I experienced a gun getting cold as I 'shot' it.

The only other thing worth noting is I was previously dry firing with full mags with dummy rounds. It helps to have dummy rounds for correct weigh, simulate malfunctions, etc. Since you cannot chamber a round with Cool Fire you are working with empty mags.

Overall I like the system and unless it starts having mechanical issues I will continue to use it. There is a lot to be said for practicing transitions with a real trigger pull on each shot. We will see if that leads to better scores. :)

• 2 months later...

Why are you only getting 8 or so good shots? While I don't have a VP9 kit, I do have one for my P320 and also a 1911 and I typically get 15-17 good quality shots before the recoil starts getting weak. My son has the trainer kit for his VP9 and I would swear he told me he usually gets 14-16 shots before recoil starts getting week.

Are you using the refiliiable CO2 tanks or the puncture style?

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/11/2019 at 6:40 AM, robbiespratt said:

Why are you only getting 8 or so good shots? While I don't have a VP9 kit, I do have one for my P320 and also a 1911 and I typically get 15-17 good quality shots before the recoil starts getting weak. My son has the trainer kit for his VP9 and I would swear he told me he usually gets 14-16 shots before recoil starts getting week.

Are you using the refiliiable CO2 tanks or the puncture style?

Sorry for bringing this old topic up, but a friend just got a coofire kit for his vp9 and he only gets 4 shots out of it. Do you guys have an idea what could cause the problem?

11 hours ago, bimmer1980 said:

Sorry for bringing this old topic up, but a friend just got a coofire kit for his vp9 and he only gets 4 shots out of it. Do you guys have an idea what could cause the problem?

What type of CO2 tank is he using?  He gets 4 shots and then has to refill the barrel before he can get 4 more shots? Make sure he is using CO2 and not air.

If using CO2. Fill the barrel and listen for leaks. Could be a seal needs to be replaced or a fitting isn't tight. 

1 hour ago, robbiespratt said:

What type of CO2 tank is he using?  He gets 4 shots and then has to refill the barrel before he can get 4 more shots? Make sure he is using CO2 and not air.

If using CO2. Fill the barrel and listen for leaks. Could be a seal needs to be replaced or a fitting isn't tight. 

It´s CO2 Sodastream tanks. The coolfire trainer is brandnew. He gets 4 shots with full power, after them it´s getting very weak. He did listen for leaks. No leaks. 

He will try out new tanks.

10 hours ago, bimmer1980 said:

It´s CO2 Sodastream tanks. The coolfire trainer is brandnew. He gets 4 shots with full power, after them it´s getting very weak. He did listen for leaks. No leaks. 

He will try out new tanks.

I have never used the soda stream tanks so I don't know how the fittingis oriented on that bottle. Is he holding the tank so that it is upside down when he fills it?

7 hours ago, bimmer1980 said:

Yes he is.

Again, not knowing the soda stream bottles.... is it possible that they have an internal regulator that only allows so much pressure out? The way the trainer is "charged" it can only ever be equal to the pressure coming out of the "filler" bottle. If it is low pressure then you would only get a couple of shots before it gets week. If the bottle is empty or close to empty, same thing. 

Coolfire tech support is pretty good. I would reach out to them. 

On 4/19/2021 at 3:09 PM, robbiespratt said:

Again, not knowing the soda stream bottles.... is it possible that they have an internal regulator that only allows so much pressure out? The way the trainer is "charged" it can only ever be equal to the pressure coming out of the "filler" bottle. If it is low pressure then you would only get a couple of shots before it gets week. If the bottle is empty or close to empty, same thing. 

Coolfire tech support is pretty good. I would reach out to them. 

Thanks for the help. It starts running now. Seems like the sodastream bottles wherend filled propperly.