Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
mcracco

VP9 Cool Fire Trainer

If anyone cares Cool Fire Trainer recently came out with kits for VP9 and P30L. Since I have a couple 3 VP9's for competition I bought a kit and installed on my dry fire VP9. Pretty much works as expected.

I get 8 or so good shots out of a CO2 charge. The laser attachment is cool but with it attached I cannot holster gun and the laser has to be removed for every charge. Laser removes and installs very quickly but I have not been using it because of the holster fit issue. The other thing is as the gun is used the "barrel" and slide become cold due to thermodynamics. After ten charges what was 8-9 shots per charge is now 6-7 shots. Not a huge deal and I have to say it is the first time I experienced a gun getting cold as I 'shot' it.

The only other thing worth noting is I was previously dry firing with full mags with dummy rounds. It helps to have dummy rounds for correct weigh, simulate malfunctions, etc. Since you cannot chamber a round with Cool Fire you are working with empty mags.

Overall I like the system and unless it starts having mechanical issues I will continue to use it. There is a lot to be said for practicing transitions with a real trigger pull on each shot. We will see if that leads to better scores. :)

Why are you only getting 8 or so good shots? While I don't have a VP9 kit, I do have one for my P320 and also a 1911 and I typically get 15-17 good quality shots before the recoil starts getting weak. My son has the trainer kit for his VP9 and I would swear he told me he usually gets 14-16 shots before recoil starts getting week.

Are you using the refiliiable CO2 tanks or the puncture style?