Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumb rest on open guns, experiences....

vgdvc

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, Jumprun13k said:

Just got my T-Shirt from Akai. 

Loving the new thumb accelerator thing that is not gas related nor is it a pedal. 

IMG_9158.jpg

LOL. It is still thumb related though. Looks good. 

On 1/1/2019 at 7:59 AM, Hi-Power Jack said:

We just had a discussion on this a few weeks ago, here at BE.

I''ve never used one on my TruBor, and I put my thumb on the C-More mount ...

Never seen the need for a thumb rest.     :) 

It would appear that you are using one if you have your thumb on the C-More mount.   😋

• 2 weeks later...

I got the DAA adjustable and am really enjoying it. Based on the design of how the adjustment screw tightens I don't think it will need any loctite, but if it shoots loose I'll put some blue on it.

The used Pro Sx I recently purchased had a Brazos thumb rest installed on it and my initial reaction was 'what is this newfangled device?' and 'it feels a bit like cheating'.  In my day....

Anyway, the more I shoot this gun, the more I'm adapting to and appreciating the device.  It feels like it makes for a more stable shooting platform and perhaps helps limit muzzle rise a bit.  Wouldn't have gotten one on my own, but am happy that it's on the gun.

I have two GoGuns.  One is on my main Open gun.  I had to significantly trim the pad down on mine so it would work with a DAA Alpha-X holster.  If I move it closer to the slide stop, my hand is at the wrong angle.

There is no doubt most of the top finishers in Open Use a thumb assist. What the doubt is about how to use it. If you use it to grip the gun and point the thumb towards the bore everything else becomes automatic. Those that dont like them are usually using them incorrectly or are accomplished with another technique. The best thing about it is now they are available for carry guns. So you dont have to change your technique from Racing to self defense.

Nice ad Chet....

On 4/19/2019 at 12:13 PM, NoJams38 said:

Fascinating topic, but many factual errors. At club I shoot at most use the GoGun product and I personally saw their use in early 90's. I talked to a couple of shooters who know him to get real story.  What they said is, and this is second hand, On forum many shooters were dissing the "GP" but were using other products and calling it "GP". Chet, the guy who invented it asked Brian to clarify the differences, as he said the "GP" is not a thumb rest, but Brian decided to use the computer generated phrase and banned Chet. From the account I heard there were no threats involved. From shooters I met at big matches, they say he is a nice guy and has done a lot to sponsor USPSA matches. About the prices, from what I see, the "GP" is the least expensive.

However folks, it is the American way to defend what is your own property and patents are property. In fact, I looked it up, and gov thru USPTO says you MUST defend the patent or it is no longer valid. So defending a patent does not make him a bad guy, it makes him an american complying with law of the land.

Saying a GasPedal isn't a thumb rest is like saying the gaspedal in my car isn't a gaspedal because it's a accelerator. Everyone knows exactly what it is and changing the name doesn't change the product.

And welcome back.

On 4/19/2019 at 11:54 AM, NoJams38 said:

There is no doubt most of the top finishers in Open Use a thumb assist. What the doubt is about how to use it. If you use it to grip the gun and point the thumb towards the bore everything else becomes automatic. Those that dont like them are usually using them incorrectly or are accomplished with another technique. The best thing about it is now they are available for carry guns. So you dont have to change your technique from Racing to self defense.

On 4/19/2019 at 12:13 PM, NoJams38 said:

Fascinating topic, but many factual errors. At club I shoot at most use the GoGun product and I personally saw their use in early 90's. I talked to a couple of shooters who know him to get real story.  What they said is, and this is second hand, On forum many shooters were dissing the "GP" but were using other products and calling it "GP". Chet, the guy who invented it asked Brian to clarify the differences, as he said the "GP" is not a thumb rest, but Brian decided to use the computer generated phrase and banned Chet. From the account I heard there were no threats involved. From shooters I met at big matches, they say he is a nice guy and has done a lot to sponsor USPSA matches. About the prices, from what I see, the "GP" is the least expensive.

However folks, it is the American way to defend what is your own property and patents are property. In fact, I looked it up, and gov thru USPTO says you MUST defend the patent or it is no longer valid. So defending a patent does not make him a bad guy, it makes him an american complying with law of the land.

Hi Chet.  It's pretty funny that you think anyone doesn't know this is you.  

Those who do not understand will be confused. The GP brand according to their website does NOT "rest" the thumb. It actively engages the thumb. So  if the function is different, it should not be lumped, or named, into category of products that function differently.The correct use of thumb with that product is what confuses those who dont understand it.

So. What do the Akai, DAA, and RHT do differently?

15 hours ago, NoJams38 said:

Those who do not understand will be confused. The GP brand according to their website does NOT "rest" the thumb. It actively engages the thumb. So  if the function is different, it should not be lumped, or named, into category of products that function differently.The correct use of thumb with that product is what confuses those who dont understand it.

So what you're saying is you think how someone uses the product changes what the product is. If a shooter just rests his thumb on a GoGun GP, then it's just a thumb rest. But if someone else using a Akai rest but actively engages their the thumb, the Akai's thumb rest becomes a GasPedal. Kind of like when a pistol becomes a short barreled rifle if you put the brace on your shoulder.

To me, to see a shooter win with say a GP on their gun, and say that shooter is using some special technique the GP guy claims he invented seems....disingenuous.  Like he is trying to take credit for someone else's hard work. He can't know how all of those shooters are using the thumb rest on their guns. Or claim that his product doesn't something different then one of a different shape or size.

It's to bad he's not on the forums, we'll never know. All you have to go on is what you've heard others say at the range and the marketing you see on their web site right? So you're not exactly a authority on the subject.