Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumb rest on open guns, experiences....

vgdvc

On 3/10/2019 at 10:22 PM, scooterj said:

I use a thumb rest as an index point. The new CKARMS scope mount with integral, adjustable rest, fills the bill nicely. I have mine pretty far forward and the angle is pretty flat. 

63306D84-47C8-4A52-B905-E9C4E9EAB257.jpeg

That looks handy. I like it

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dumb question: I see the phrase "*thumb rest [generic]*" all over the open forums, written in that exact way.  Is there actually a product with that name or is it some weird formatting issue with the forum?

Edited by UpYoursPal

4 hours ago, UpYoursPal said:

Dumb question: I see the phrase "*thumb rest [generic]*" all over the open forums, written in that exact way.  Is there actually a product with that name or is it some weird formatting issue with the forum?

The guy that owns a company that makes a generic thumb rest, I believe trade marked the name even though it's been around for ever and got a patent on it too. I'll go out on a limb and guess he threatened this forum with legal action for people using his products name. I would guess enos was giving the option to stop allowing that name on his site or pay a fee to gain the right to use that term.

I would recommend anyone else's thumb rest.  The Nitro Fin 2.0's are great.

5 hours ago, UpYoursPal said:

its a automatic formatting thing that replaces the a "name brand" with thumb rest generic, because the "name brand" owner did not like his "name brand" being used as a generic term for thumb rests so he threatened the forum 

6 hours ago, Chillywig said:

I've always liked the gogun "thumb assist" - what ever that means. Chet seems like such an a hole I need to learn to like something else

I got a used RHT rest from a member here. It was relieved to allow rearmost positioning and not interfere with slide stop removal. I am really liking it. Others who have handled it including M class shooters agreed.

I really like having an index point for my thumb so I know my grip is the same every time. You also "can" control some flip using the thumb rest but you have to be very careful to not lead the gun when you don't intend to. I know many people also don't like thumb rests as they feel they get in the way. To each their own :)

Whats the recommendation for thumb rests on smaller hands? Or do you just mount it in the closest hole? I was looking at the DAA adjustable. It's affordable, adjustable, metal, and looks nice. So thoughts for small hand sizes?

2 hours ago, ezra650 said:

Whats the recommendation for thumb rests on smaller hands? Or do you just mount it in the closest hole? I was looking at the DAA adjustable. It's affordable, adjustable, metal, and looks nice. So thoughts for small hand sizes?

CKARMS makes an adjustable, similar to the DAA and they also make one for small hands that id not adjustable. 

A90D82CA-F06A-4B13-A4CD-94C59F70A25D.jpeg

The new ones are less of a “rest” and more of a “leverage device”. the gogun is awesome and immediately places your support hand more consistently in the grip, and your current grip pressure gets multiplied because of the angle and location. Akai’s new one looks promising too if he doesn’t get sued over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, scooterj said:

CKARMS makes an adjustable, similar to the DAA and they also make one for small hands that id not adjustable. 

That one looks super high for me. I have small hands but my fingers are not too short. I'll check out the CK adjustable before I buy. Thanks!

Just make an angled shelf and silver solder it to the slide stop. I have been using these for the past 30+ years with no problems.

Just make sure that downwards pressure keeps the slide stop down at the back and not going into slide lock.

Also grind clearance for weak hand shooting.

1 hour ago, jim vaughan said:

Just make an angled shelf and silver solder it to the slide stop. I have been using these for the past 30+ years with no problems.

Just make sure that downwards pressure keeps the slide stop down at the back and not going into slide lock.

Also grind clearance for weak hand shooting.

Sounds like you are making a home made version of the Nitro Fin and obviously thought this up well before that product came out. Any pictures? I’m intrigued. 

Edited by Posvar