Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumb rest on open guns, experiences....

vgdvc

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, mag17 said:

I personally like the Nitro Fin.... I have found most of the frame mounted rests are too high for me... 

I agree with that. My fingers are long and reach the frame mounted ones ok. Come to think of it I have not tried a Nitro Fin on my open guns. Hmmmm, will see about that later this week.

I was not a fan of them at all to start with.  I have short thumbs and could not get the fit and feel right.  I definitely see the value if properly used.  Then I was introduced and tried the Nitro Fin.  I run one on my JPL Precision 9 major open gun and just picked up another to try on my JPL Precision steel gun.  

Currently I shoot SIg P320's for work and play.  The original huge take down lever is about the same place at the nitro fin is, so that may be the reason i have changed my mind about them.  

Keith

I have DAA adjustable one on my Tanfoglio Limited (don't shoot open yet, but it's the same concept) and really like it. 

The primary reason I like a thumb rest is that it provides that feeling in the support hand that I'm holding the gun as if were a rifle. Not only is my thumb in a good spot to make contact with the rest, but also my fingers on the other side point more upwards and my wrist is naturally more rolled forward. If I kept the same wrist angle and removed the thumb rest, my thumb would be touching the slide, so I would have to change the grip, especially since I squeeze hard with my support hand and any contact would affect the slide. 

As for DAA rest, I like it, but adjustments are somewhat limited since you change the angle of the paddle as you move it back and forth. Much better to have holes drilled in the correct position for your hand size and preferred angle. Speaking of which, DAA rest has holes drilled such that it can fit both 2011 and Tanfoglio standard patterns, which severely limits mounting location. If you go that route, much better to get their "blank" and drill the holes for the particular gun

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, funflyr said:

Do most people prefer the  GoGun racer cut or the GoGun Extreme?

The extreme is a tiny bit more petite. I just sold my GoGun Racer's cut because I prefer a much smaller option. I use RHT thumbrests now.

3 hours ago, Sarge said:

The extreme is a tiny bit more petite. I just sold my GoGun Racer's cut because I prefer a much smaller option. I use RHT thumbrests now.

I just bought Sarge's Go Gun cause I like the large pad on the GoGun. So there you go Ford or Chevy!!! LOL

Try one and go from there.  Or buy a couple of guys with open guns lunch and shoot their  guns to see which one you like.

• 4 weeks later...

Got used to a thumb rest on my G35 in Limited, attached to a frame weight. It helped me orient my left hand consistently using a grip similar to Bob Vogel. Then I added a magwell and dovetail mounted DPP and it became an open G35. When I moved the DPP from the dovetail mount to a Carver Competition frame mount, custom work was required to attach the thumb rest and allow me to continue the same grip. Carver Competiton did a great job for a reasonable price. Just shot it in this new configuration for the first time and it felt just like my old limited grip. The grip consistency helped me be consistent with the DPP, too. 

I think if you use it the right way there is a benefit. I used to run them. Now I don’t. But I also shoot prod and singlestack so keeping my grip the same helps. 

The thumb rest test is an advantage if you’re doing the ‘opposable grip’. So bacially your weak hand is squeezing between the underside of the trigger guard and the thumb rest to get a tight grip. 

if you use a ‘thumbs forward’ grip the pressure is more side to side going into the grip. In that case thumb is doing nothing. 

In the opposable grip grip your weak hand is more upright. Some like that. I don’t. In thumbs forward your weak hand is canted more like 45 degrees to the grip. I like that. It feels higher and I feel like I have more weakhand on the grip. 

Chriss tilley kind of explains the opposable grip in a vid on YouTube about go gun thumbrests. 

Last Friday I shot an open gun for the first time WITHOUT a thumb rest and was pleasantly surprised by how it was like that. That being said I do like to have one to help establish my point of grip faster and will stick with what I have but it was quite interesting to try without one. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'll add my 2 cents it may help someone that is undecided. I recently added a Nitro Fin 2 to my limited gun and really like the flatter thumb rest compared to the RHT that is on my open gun. For me it feels better then many of the other thumb rest I've tried.  I don't care for the up right feel of the others and it seemed like I would hit my thumb on them more when I was building my grip. 

I moved the Nitro Fin to my open gun and ordered another one for the limited. They both feel the same when I draw and my thumb feels flatter more like shooting without a thumb rest.

7 hours ago, Hiroshi said:

I wish I could use a thumb Reston my open gun, I can’t because I’m a left hand shooter, and it’s really hard to find thumb rest for a lefty..

http://www.evil-hand.com/

https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Double-Alpha-Adjustable-Thumb-Rest-P886.aspx

Edited by echotango