Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumb rest on open guns, experiences....

vgdvc

Hello open shooters. So in my journey to begin Open shooting with my recently aquired Brazos .38super I'm wondering if I should put a thumb rest on to get started with a good platform from the get go. I have a DAA adjustable thumb rest I tried it on my Limited gun but decided to go back to just putting grip tape on the frame  for slight pressure and thumb indexing. I do see most top shooters using a thumb rest on Open pistols. Can anyone enlighten me  to their personal experiences,pro or con, with using one in Open? Thank you.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say give it a try.  Some guys love them and some guys don't.  A matter of personal preference.  Always easy to take it off if you don't like it.  

My personal experience is that I prefer them and would say there are no cons to using one.

I recently starting shooting open, so take it for what it’s worth. At first I was unsure if I was going to like it. But now, with dry fire practice and range time, it just feels natural with it.

And, I am using the go-guns Opposable Extreme and for table starts, it really works good.

As others have said, try it....if you don’t like it you can take it off.

I'm a fan of them. I went with DAA large adjustable one (I have pretty big hands and my thumb is the size of a sausage link. Plus the ability to tune the angle to my comfort is a big plus) 

It helps me index the gun with a constant grip as well keep from riding the slide with my thumb. 

When shooting a major PF (I'm shooting 9 major) with all elements taken into consideration; load, comp, spring etc. my gun returns to zero all the time. Before the thumb rest it would vary because I could never get a constant placement with my thumb.

On my Open Guns I use the GoGun *thumb rest [generic]* Opposable Extreme Thumb Rest.  I feel that I have much better control of the gun.  I have tried shooting my Open Gun without the thumb rest, but feel I have much better control with it.  Try it with and without and see which feels better for you.

3 hours ago, vgdvc said:

Hello open shooters. So in my journey to begin Open shooting with my recently aquired Brazos .38super I'm wondering if I should put a thumb rest on to get started with a good platform from the get go. I have a DAA adjustable thumb rest I tried it on my Limited gun but decided to go back to just putting grip tape on the frame  for slight pressure and thumb indexing. I do see most top shooters using a thumb rest on Open pistols. Can anyone enlighten me  to their personal experiences,pro or con, with using one in Open? Thank you.

Thanks for the input gentlemen. It seems a thumb rest is preffered rather than not in Open.  Has anyone had issue going to a different division and not use a thumbrest such as limited etc?

Tyman's post is interesting:

On 12/24/2018 at 6:15 PM, tyman1876 said:

In my humble opinion a thumb rest should be used as an anchor point but a majority of people use it as a pressure point. This will effect how the dot tracks quite a bit. Instead of straight up and down you get a slight sideways wave. I don’t use one because I think a proper grip won’t be made better with a thumb rest present.

I've done several practice sessions in the last week with my thumb rest removed now and appreciate this point.

I was knowingly using the thumb rest as a pressure point to better minimize gun movement in recoil. With the rest removed, there is more contact between my support hand and the grip and the the overall dot movement is very clean. So far, I am liking it off and I haven't had a hint of pain in my left thumb.

Too early to tell if I will leave the thumb rest off. Need some matches to better judge it's effectiveness for me.

16 hours ago, schaet said:

I'm a fan of them. I went with DAA large adjustable one (I have pretty big hands and my thumb is the size of a sausage link. Plus the ability to tune the angle to my comfort is a big plus)

I shot my first open gun without a thumbrest for about a month. Then I put a DDA adjustable thumbrest on and WOW! what a difference. As suggested in other replies, it anchors your left hand for a better grip. Good luck.

15 hours ago, vgdvc said:

Thanks for the input gentlemen. It seems a thumb rest is preffered rather than not in Open.  Has anyone had issue going to a different division and not use a thumbrest such as limited etc?

I had this happen out with friends. My friend was joshing me that I couldn't shoot anything but an Open gun, so he hands me his carry M&P and I clean the very same course of fire but with a few seconds added. They never kidded around again. In my belief, it is not the gun that much, but mostly the shooter. Yes, having a thumb rest gets you back on target quicker, but you have to practice a lot to get used to it, but going back is nothing bad at all. 

Kinda like driving a sports performance car, you get used to the higher performance, but then when you go back to a normal street machine, you realize that your potential as a driver is much more capable that the vehicle. Open guns are like that, they teach you what is possible and your skill level gets that much better because of the lack of equipment limitations. 

My recommendation: Use a thumb rest, just like most others. I have yet to see an Open shooter in person not use one. 

48 minutes ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

I had this happen out with friends. My friend was joshing me that I couldn't shoot anything but an Open gun, so he hands me his carry M&P and I clean the very same course of fire but with a few seconds added. They never kidded around again. In my belief, it is not the gun that much, but mostly the shooter. Yes, having a thumb rest gets you back on target quicker, but you have to practice a lot to get used to it, but going back is nothing bad at all. 

Kinda like driving a sports performance car, you get used to the higher performance, but then when you go back to a normal street machine, you realize that your potential as a driver is much more capable that the vehicle. Open guns are like that, they teach you what is possible and your skill level gets that much better because of the lack of equipment limitations. 

My recommendation: Use a thumb rest, just like most others. I have yet to see an Open shooter in person not use one. 

Thanks for the suggestion,it makes sense

1 hour ago, Chillywig said:

Whatever you use and practice with will feel good once you're used to it. I went without for years but now that I have one its hard to imagine shooting open without a thumb rest. Why not use every aid that is legal for that division. 

This!

Thank you for the info fellas. I put a thumb rest on my open gun and and I'm going to see how it feels with referencing during dry fire. For those of you that shoot open and limited do you also use a thumb rest on your limited pistol or something of the type like a Nitro fin? Thanks