Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How good a shot before starting USPSA?

matir

On 10/26/2019 at 12:39 PM, elguapo said:

No one who is successful to any degree in this sport is sloppy, undisciplined, or lazy in their shooting.

Help me understand your statement.  Sloppy, undisciplined, and lazy compared to what?

I don't think hitting big targets up close, no matter how quickly, equals good shooting.  

(A zones being pretty big...  and all the targets in USPSA are up close.)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, cas said:

I don't think hitting big targets up close, no matter how quickly, equals good shooting.  

Help me understand your point here...........….

Good shooting is defined relative to the reason why one is shooting.  USPSA and other practical shooting sports have their basis on using firearms for defensive (or offensive) purposes.  When good shooting is defined as neutralizing threats as quickly as possible, then shooting said targets with an acceptable level of accuracy as quickly as possible IS good shooting.

If your definition of good shooting equals scoring tens at 50 yards, then this might not be the right sport for you.  Because in the sport this forum is focused on, such extreme accuracy is poor shooting.

Edited by elguapo

For IPSC/USPSA, good shooting is getting good hits in the least possible time. The balance of skills is different between tight shots between No-Shoots at 30 meters and full targets at one meter. Still, the point is to get good hits on all targets in the least possible time.

When starting out, it is very good if you can get hits on targets. If you start by going at the same pace as the top guys, you are not getting those good hits. If you are not getting those hits, you don't have a lot of points to divide by your time. Get those hits. Try not to waste too much time between them.

16 hours ago, cas said:

seems like you are posting to the wrong forum :)

OP, just go and dont do anything unsafe.

I've only shot 2 matches and thought I should have practiced more but went anyway. If I had waited till I thought I was good enough I never would have went. Turns out unless you're a really hot chick nobody except the RO is watching anyway.