Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Routine Maintenance M&P 2.0

Smitty79

I carry an M&P 2.0 4 inch or a Shield, both in 9mm.  I have started shooting both in IDPA.  All stock but sights.  I know whats going to break and what to carry to matches or change proactively for my USPSA guns.  What should I have in my range bag and what should I change for round count for M&P's?

There's not a lot in there, and the parts are cheap. You could get one of everything - springs, trigger bar, striker assembly, sear block assembly, extractor, pins etc. and still not break the bank. The tools to put them in would probably cost more.

With this said, I have multiple M&Ps for competition, home defense and carry - some have a LOT of mileage on them - and yet I have experienced almost no breakages. As I recall one early Apex DCAEK trigger return spring (made before they added the fiber dampener) and one trigger bar (broke at the loop). I replace recoil springs annually as they are cheap and are the hardest working part in the gun. That's it.

With the above being said, and not knowing your personal situation, my advice would be to buy another gun so you can dedicate one for match use and the other one for carry. I would not want to put a lot of mileage on any device that I might have to bet my life on. My many match guns get "ridden hard and put away wet", but my carry guns are low-mileage, vetted-for-reliability and kept spotlessly clean. With a separate carry gun, you could bring it along to every match (leave it in your car) and should your match gun break you simply switch it out for the carry gun (with RM permission of course). Much easier than changing parts.

JMHO, and what I do.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Mate of mine had over 60K rounds through his original 9L, all he ever had to replace was the firing pin because it got a bit worn down lol

I've never replaced anything on mine, with a bit more than half that mileage (except griptape)

Edited by zhuk

I just carry a back up M&P.  They are not that much and if my regular M&P went down, I would not want to take the time during a match to start knocking out pins to replace a trigger spring or something.  I'd rather fix it at home when I can take my time and not cause any more damage or loose some tiny part in the gravel or hotel room carpet.

As far as routine maintenance, I replaced all the springs and the striker at about 10K rounds.  No, problems before or since.  Probably do it again at 20K since the amount of crud around the sear housing after 10K was a little disturbing. 

Edited by Terry44

• 2 years later...

Not a 2.0 .. but ...

I have a 5 inch 40 S&W Core and strangely ... about every 3200-3500 rounds (I keep a log) the gun starts it's "short distance ejection" routine. 

It doesn't fail to shoot or eject in any way ... it simply starts tossing cases out limply (right at your feet). 

This always ends up being carbon/trash/sludge under the ejector extractor (third time just recently).

I use this opportunity to take everything out of the slide ... clean it all and re-assemble.

Other than an occasional light barrel and slide slot oiling it really doesn't get anything else (and nothing has ever broke). 

It is a Production gun and has spent it life shooting minor PF 40s. 🙄

Edited by pete627
edit: meant "extractor .. not ejector!!" as someone has pointed out ...

27 minutes ago, pete627 said:

Not a 2.0 .. but ...

I have a 5 inch 40 S&W Core and strangely ... about every 3200-3500 rounds (I keep a log) the gun starts it's "short distance ejection" routine. 

It doesn't fail to shoot or eject in any way ... it simply starts tossing cases out limply (right at your feet). 

This always ends up being carbon/trash/sludge under the ejector (third time just recently).

I use this opportunity to take everything out of the slide ... clean it all and re-assemble.

Other than an occasional light barrel and slide slot oiling it really doesn't get anything else (and nothing has ever broke). 

It is a Production gun and has spent it life shooting minor PF 40s. 🙄

Under the extractor or the ejector?   

Just now, NETim said:

Under the extractor or the ejector?   

"Extractor" ... yes .. extractor in the slide ... sorry my bad .. Got to talking about ejection and went mental .. sigh ... 🙄

It has to come out to get at the sludge ..