Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AA7 for 9 major

IDAHOAASHOOTER

These should be pretty close for you gun. I would start a few tenths under these and work up.

170PF in my 9 major CK Thunder - 5.5" KKM with 3x 3/16" holes:

9.6 grains AA#7 - MG124JHP - 1.165 OAL - CCI SPP

10.6 grains AA#7 - MG115JHP - 1.165 OAL - CCI SPP

7 hours ago, racer-x said:

These should be pretty close for you gun. I would start a few tenths under these and work up.

170PF in my 9 major CK Thunder - 5.5" KKM with 3x 3/16" holes:

9.6 grains AA#7 - MG124JHP - 1.165 OAL - CCI SPP

10.6 grains AA#7 - MG115JHP - 1.165 OAL - CCI SPP

I'm at 

10.4 gr AA#7 - MG115JHP - 1.150 OAL - CCI

174pf 9 major 5.4" Infinity barrel 2 - 3/16 popple

not 124 but gives some reference! 

How is working for you.. I have a chaos in the making.. AA 7 is going to be one of my powders 

I just got finished testing 5 different powders. Hs6, WAC, Silo, AA7 and Shooters World Major pistol (Lovex). In the end, Lovex came out on time with AA7 a pretty close second.

If you’re interested I have my data on all 5. Send me a PM if you want and I can send it to you.

7 minutes ago, tyman1876 said:

I just got finished testing 5 different powders. Hs6, WAC, Silo, AA7 and Shooters World Major pistol (Lovex). In the end, Lovex came out on time with AA7 a pretty close second.

If you’re interested I have my data on all 5. Send me a PM if you want and I can send it to you.

Sweet, much appreciated.. PM inbound 

1 hour ago, 22 shooter said:

Guys, not sure if it's changed or not, but in years past AA#7 was terrible to erode barrels and comps

Im pretty sure that has been disproved as a real thing in recent years.

Edited by Shmella

1 hour ago, Shmella said:

Im pretty sure that has been disproved as a real thing in recent years.

That was an urban legend. Im not mentioning the names but the rumor was started by a gun builder years ago that had customer complaints of barrel erosion. The most popular powder at the time happened to be A#7 and happened to be used in the compliant guns. So it was used as an easy out excuse to divert the blame away from a bad batch of barrels. It was shortly after this rumor flew around the shooting sports someone did some high round count testing with A#7 and a few other powders and found no elevated levels of erosion from A#7 vs anything else tested. I cant remember whom did it but you can find it on the web. A few years ago the same scenario played out on Lil-Gun powder. A high end big bore revolver builder blamed premature throat erosion on his guns on the powder to divert blame and blemish of reputation. Again someone did some testing and found it was not the case but instead the barrel stock was a "softer than usual grade" That article is also searchable. I run A#7 in my 38 Super with awesome results and my barrels are just fine and as accurate as they were 8000, or 12000 rounds ago depending on the gun. Now to the point of the post, Ive never loaded A#7 in 9mm. Im intrigued now...The volume my 10.5 gr load takes up in a Super case looks like a possible overflow (or close to) in a 9mm case. Well if it feels and shoots like it does in my supers you wont be unhappy! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2018 at 8:12 PM, 36873687 said:

Two ck with 3 1/8 pooples. Pd 124 1.165 172pf.   Pd 115 1.165 10.55 171 pf. 

How much powder are you using with 124's? Which load you like better? Does one track better than other? Thanks for info!