Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production scope

andrewt556

5 hours ago, NateTSU said:

Tracking is fine, I have done multiple box tests and ladder test and haven't had any issues. Last time I took the rifle out I went from 350 to 1250 yards and back without any issues. 

I guess i keep getting bad apples. Ill look for the new gen ones.

On 12/31/2018 at 1:50 PM, NateTSU said:

Check out the vortex PST line, they are a middle of the road scope that won't break the bank. I have a 6-24 gen 1 and I am very happy with it. 

I have one myself, also first gen. It’s been great. I don’t think it would hold me back. 

Bushnell definitely a better choice than the Gen1 PST.  Glass is better, tracking is better and the 10 mil per revolution turrets are a much better way to go.   PST probably fine for target shooting but the Bushnell is the way to go for PRS

On 12/31/2018 at 1:35 AM, andrewt556 said:

Im looking to get started in PRS locally, and I would like to get a scope for a production division gun. Currently I have a SWFA fixed 12x and I would like to get something with reliable tracking and variable. 

How much is your budget? I think you should over-spend on glass. It makes a big difference. If you cant there is some good options $1k-$2k new & used. If you can swing more cash do it. 

Couple good lower price options:

Burris XTR 2 is a tank, tracks great, good reticle and can be had used for $800. Glass is not that clear, but tracking > glass. The 4-20 is better than the 5-25.

Used Razor Gen1 is a steal right now for what you get. $1300-$1400

On 12/31/2018 at 3:35 AM, andrewt556 said:

Im looking to get started in PRS locally, and I would like to get a scope for a production division gun. Currently I have a SWFA fixed 12x and I would like to get something with reliable tracking and variable. 

Did the SWFA not track reliably? Mine did

SWFA scopes track! However a fixed 12x is doing you no favors.

Find a scope that will last you if you decide to keep going. If you quit, that scope will still have good resale. Scopes are more important than rifles in this game.

I wouldn't even bother worrying about Production Class. It barely exists. Most matches will have maybe 2 people shooting "Production". Precision Rifle isn't like pistol shooting, there is really only Open Division. You might get 2 Production shooters, 3x 308/223 (Tactical) and 90-100 in Open. At local matches, no one cares. We are just there to have fun.

• 1 month later...

Scopes are like guns everyone has a preference.  Just like the 1911 vs the glock . Find a reticle and scope you like. No eye is the same and every scope just like binoculars have a different perception though it. i have shot Swaro's,leica,S&B,Vortex and Bushnell and everyone one has its advantages and disadvantages. With that being said spend as much money as you can afford on the scope, this is a major factor when being behind the glass for minutes or hours. Test as  many scopes out as possible and if possible shoot friends scopes.  The next issue is tracking systems which is ur turrents not everyone will actually track to the prescribed adjustment 1/10 mil or 1/4 MOA test then using a tracking drill. If you use the ballistic holdovers makes sure that you calibrate that also. Your price really determines what route you go. I use Horus vision reticles, so one of the best values for me is the Bushnell series. Rugged, heavy, great tracking systems and the glass is great. You can sometimes find deals on them i bought an open box buy, off amazon for 900.00 you have to look around.