Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Upper for JP 15 Lower

Smitty79

Long ago, I shot 3 gun at matches that went out fairly long range.   I picked up a JP-15 with an 18 inch barrel and all was right with the world.   I stopped shooting 3 gun, as I had more fun shooting pistols and hate practicing reloading shotguns.

I'd like to use the lower, to shoot an occasional rifle match, that don't go past 200 yds, and as a defensive rifle.   I am thinking a 14.5 inch barrel with a mid length gas system with a key mod 13 inch handguard.   I'd like a fairly light weight very reliable upper that comes in around $1000 out the door with a charging handle, BCG and BUIS.   This rifle will not have a magnified optic.

Would this upper fit on a JP-15 lower and meet my needs?   I understand I may have to replace the buffer spring to make it run well.   Recommendations for buffer are helpful.   I know how to make my handguns run.   I don't want to tinker with rifle set up too much.

image.thumb.png.5e1420130824c8dded5ef834753ccc28.png

I don’t think you’ll be happy with that for 3-gun.  It’s missing a good brake, adjustable gas, and I would prefer a low mass carrier.  

Adjustable gas doesn’t require a whole lot of tinkering, it will take less than 5 minutes at the  range and then you can forget about it.

1 hour ago, CharlieD said:

I don’t think you’ll be happy with that for 3-gun.  It’s missing a good brake, adjustable gas, and I would prefer a low mass carrier.  

Adjustable gas doesn’t require a whole lot of tinkering, it will take less than 5 minutes at the  range and then you can forget about it.

Will be rifle only match.   I won't be planning on winning.   It will be more for as a way to get some "stress inoculation" when shooting the rifle.

I shoot USPSA to compete, though not very well.   IDPA, CCP or BUG, for run time on carry guns.   This rifle will be used in local practical rifle matches for run time on a gun with main use case of defense.

4 minutes ago, Steve RA said:

Might be easier to sell the one you have and buy the one you presently want.

Keeping the long barrel capability is a nice, but not necessary thing.   I look at this as a way to get both capability on the cheap.

5 minutes ago, Smitty79 said:

Keeping the long barrel capability is a nice, but not necessary thing.   I look at this as a way to get both capability on the cheap.

Unless you are deploying the rifle out of a vehicle, I don't think that extra 4" is going to hurt you as a defensive rifle.  Short rifles look cool and may be a tad easier to transition, but honestly, I think 18" is a good choice for a multipurpose rifle.

I'm almost a super senior.   The bigger gun, when I don't need it, makes a day at the range a chore.   I want to take some fantasy gun camp classes with a gun I can set up just the way I want it.

I've shot a 14.5 barrel gun.   It's more fun than the big gun.

I have a 16 inch gun.   But it's a cheapie, no FA, A2 front site that I hate, things like that.  I'm not enough of an AR gun smith that I want to play with that gun to make it just right.   I want something that's the right gun for the job.  I'm happy to own 3 uppers and 2 lowers.

Besides, something

Yeah the ultralight JP model - either just the upper or the entire gun - and be done with it, they're the nicest out of the box builds you can buy. That with your rifle length gun would be a great combo.  

(Not that there aren't other great 6lb guns.)

Edited by Frankly

Since the muzzle device will be pinned, you may want to select one of BCM's Mod 0 compensators. It is more effective than it looks like it would be and still offers some flash suppression. 

The setup that you posted should work fine.

Hurley

Any "standard" upper/upper assembly will drop right onto your lower assembly. Get whatever you want and go play.

And, in your price range, you should be able to get just about anything that catches your eye.

Spikes has a barrel that meets your spec and so does Faxon.  If you don't see exactly what you want, grab the parts you like and get someone knowledgeable to assemble for you.

Or just get the JP upper...(but even the lightweight ain't terribly lightweight)

If you want something you can trust on both the range and at home the JP will serve you incresibly well. I agree with Trace above, 18" is just about the perfect length for 3 gun but inside of 200 yards with a red dot, go 14.5 pin/weld for sure. JP does have their Tac Comp which is quite effective as a comp but not as flashy as the standard 3 port. It actually annoyed me at a night video shoot because it was far less flashy than I had hoped. The Patrol Rifle Upper  (RU-JP15PU) is right at your $1000 budget and is a very solid upper

I'd also suggest contemplating a JP upper with a silencer quick detach compensator installed. JP stocks Surefire but you can do any brand you like. I have become spoiled by being able to do most of my rifle practice suppressed and it is soooooooo much more pleasant. If you ever get a chance to run a shoot house or indoor class, believe me, a can is a beautiful thing. 

I've run a 14.5 BCM BHF upper in a lot multigun and rifle matches. I I alternate with a 18" Quentin Defense upper and the BCM 14.5 but have been shooting the BCM 14.5 BHF almost exclusively since June.  Mine is on a SunDevil lower so I can't speak to the fit of a JP lower but it should work just fine.

I have the Quentin Defense Brake on the BCM and it shoots a LOT better with a brake than the Mil-Spec flash hider for Multigun and competitions where you want fast transitions on the short targets.

We shoot out to 545 yards regularly and I feel just as confident with the 14.5 BCM as with the 18" Quentin at those ranges.  The 18" Quentin is more accurate, but both of them are accurate enough for rifle matches like 3gun/2gun/black rifle. The all like 69g SMK over TAC so I can use one load for all uppers. 

I had originally planned to put an adjustable gas block on the BCM upper but after shooting it I realized the muzzle brake softens recoil enough that I didn't see a need to adjust the gas. Note that I run the A5 buffer from Vltor/BCM and that helps a lot also. I get more recoil than the people running light BCGs, but I can keep shots in an A zone at 10 yards.

I like the light weight of this upper and the system works great out-of-the box. I run a heavy stock in matches - with the added lead it's a little over two pounds - which makes that BCM 14.5 upper balance incredibly well. It's very stable for off-hand shots and very easy to maneuver in tight stages.

I've only been in this game for a few years, but I don't see any significant disadvantage with the 14.5" upper. The only time I've ever seen a difference has been on 300-500 yard plates that don't move much - the extra velocity on the 18" barrel carries more energy and the hits are easier to call in those situations ... but not by much.

Here's a video of me using the BCM 14.5 on a long range stage.  I start at about 5:45 and you can see it from the GoPro.  there are some other videos on the RioSalado channel of me using the 14.5 if you want to get an idea of how it looks in a match.

On 12/30/2018 at 7:29 PM, davsco said:

well how about a shorter JP upper to go with your JP lower, def can't go wrong with that!

This is exactly what I did. I bought an 18" JP and recently put a 14.5" JP upper on it. I love using it for matches that stay inside of 300 yards. It's moves slightly more under recoil, but handles better than its longer counterpart.