Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red Dot placement for an AR

Depending on its intended use, you may want to experiment with placement.  If you aren't using a magnifier and are typically shooting in a competition environment with targets that aren't too far off (lets say 200 and closer), you should give it a try mounted farther to the rear, just in front of the charging handle.  It sounds a little hokey but theres a difference in the dot movement you see with it mounted farther back on the rifle.  

On 12/30/2018 at 10:08 AM, Clint U66 said:

Depending on its intended use, you may want to experiment with placement.  If you aren't using a magnifier and are typically shooting in a competition environment with targets that aren't too far off (lets say 200 and closer), you should give it a try mounted farther to the rear, just in front of the charging handle.  It sounds a little hokey but theres a difference in the dot movement you see with it mounted farther back on the rifle.  

Thank you.  Good input.  

I don't game/play/compete, but I like my red dot far enough in front of the rear sight that I can flip the rear sight and use it if needed.  I really don't care much for red dots as I always shoot better groups with a scope, but I still have some on a few of the AR15's.

I have one, an AR pistol in .223 with a DP Pro mounted out on the free float rail.  It's way out there with a pistol, right.  So I thought I'd mount it out on the rail and see how it worked.  Works great so far.  DP Pro with the big ugly triangle.  The triangle appears "smaller" out there but is still easily visible/usable.

I prefer the dot to be forward on the receiver to minimize the obstruction around the optic. It makes the visual transition between targets a little simpler to me.

I've tried it both ways for a while and honestly didn't see a measurable difference one way or the other though. I think that holds true across the board just judging by the amount of top people running dots both ways. It's just personal preference.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk