Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Armalite Brake Weight?

Blockader

11 hours ago, CharlieD said:

There are a ton of good brakes out there.  Had an Armalite, prefer JP 3-port, and you can get it in titanium if weight is a concern.  

Curious - why do you prefer the JP over the Armalite?  What's different?

Brakes will feel different based on how the gun is held, so feel different to each shooter.  To me the Armalite felt like it was making a figure eight pattern.  Perhaps due to two hp ports.  

With the JP I drill a small hole (5/32” I believe) on the right side before the first chamber to counteract the L-R movement for right handed shooter.  This works great for me resulting in minimal movement.

3 hours ago, CharlieD said:

Brakes will feel different based on how the gun is held, so feel different to each shooter.  To me the Armalite felt like it was making a figure eight pattern.  Perhaps due to two hp ports.  

With the JP I drill a small hole (5/32” I believe) on the right side before the first chamber to counteract the L-R movement for right handed shooter.  This works great for me resulting in minimal movement.

How far behind the 1st port do you drill the hole?  Which one of those comps is available in titanium?

I really like my armalite comp with a hole on the right side and no hole on top or left.

1 hour ago, tk4 said:

How far behind the 1st port do you drill the hole?  Which one of those comps is available in titanium?

I really like my armalite comp with a hole on the right side and no hole on top or left.

The hole is a 9/64” hole approximately 1/8” behind the first port.  I have found that you need to make sure the muzzle is far enough away from the port that the gas doesn’t blow past it. I use 2-3 accu-washers  from brownells to space and time the brake.  

JP makes their 3 port in titanium.

I got the Armalite brake yesterday and this afternoon I tuned it for Wolf Gold, which is my choice for inside 200 yards. Took a 1/8" hole up top and a 5/32" on the right. Double taps at 40 yards now land around 3" apart, exactly what I was after. This is on a 18" barrel 10lb gross weight rifle. Blast and noise (for shooter at least) is not bad at all, less than a Titan for sure. I am very pleased with the brake and look forward to running it in the next match that isn't rained out, after which I will try to post an update here.