Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass Catcher for practice?

tacomandood

So I’m sure all you reloaders out there feel me in the struggle of picking up brass during or after a practice session.

I’ve seen the brass chute CED has come out with and it seems like a pretty sweet idea. Unfortunately, they’re asking $150 for it!

Link for reference: https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/ced-brass-chute

Currently, I use a tarp or moving blanket when I’m out shooting to catch my brass, but since switching to .40, the brass flies a lot further and rolls making this method almost useless. So I got to thinking..

What about using a batting net? It’s basically the same idea as the CED brass chute. The only thing I’d imagine would need to be done is replacing the net to a finer mesh, which can probably be found at Home Depot/Lowe’s pretty easily. Then, come up with a way to funnel the net into a container so the brass doesn’t melt the net.

Here’s the batting net I was thinking of: https://www.hitrunsteal.com/products/portable-baseball-and-softball-hitting-net-5-x-5-large-mouth-net?variant=44674920974

So what do you guys think? Should I just save myself the trouble and fork out the extra for the CED net? Maybe my idea could work? Or do you guys have any other ideas?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Golf nets have smaller mesh that may be a better starting point for you something like this ( https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Portable-Driving-Practice-Golf/dp/B07KR7DJCH )

problem is then you have to fabricate some type of pvc base to lift the unit off the ground so it can gravity feed into a catch bucket.  

Since your going to be fabricating the base anyway I’d start from scratch with something like this mesh ( https://www.amazon.com/Tricam-TRP-8X16M-WG-Weather-Extreme-Multi-Use/dp/B00I3J4N7G ) and build the top end of the frame with some aluminum tent rods for easy breakdown ( https://www.amazon.com/Weanas-Aluminum-Tent-Replacement-Accessories/dp/B07BW183Z8 ) 

All that’s gonna take some time so it really depends what your time is worth to you and how big of a rush you are in.  If you have time I’d wait for the next DAA 15% off sale and just grab theirs.  

This has me thinking after spending time this AM hunting in the grass and sand for my brass.

Well I was thinking of just using the frame from the batting net, and having some kind of bungee pulling the net from the rear so that it all funnels down into whatever container. Maybe just cut a hole in the netting and melt the frayed ends with a lighter?

I was thinking a mesh tarp like that would probably work best too. Seems the eyelets would hook easily into the poles used for the batting net frame.

I do like the idea of the golf net too. In the worst case, all the brass would be in a neat little pile and could probably be picked up easily by handfuls.

I’m gonna go shop around town and see what I find. Worst case, I may just wait for the CED catcher to go on sale. How often would you say they do their sales? All I’ve seen in the last few months was Black Friday.

It is much too small for anything other than  shooting from a single position. When I practice, I put down multiple big tarps to catch my 38sc brass. I lose very little, even with significant movement 

Yeah, I figured a good catcher would be easy to move around quickly, and then I could add a tarp to the left of it for any positions that I may be further away from. Most of my practice is moving between no more than a few positions, but it’d be really nice to have an easy pickup method when practicing high-volume stationary drills like Bill/Blake Drill, Distance changeup, Draw/Reload, etc. and not have brass scattered way off in different directions any time I turn more than a few degrees on transitions. I don’t know how 38SC goes, but .40 really flies sometimes.

Just buy the damned thing.  A small brass catcher for bullseye is $100.  Saves me picking up 8 1/2 c casings in 45.  I pay 3.5 c for fully processed 9mm brass and leave it on the ground for matches.   So 4000+ practice rounds later I've paid for the thing.  Plus you can charge your buddies for using it.  Hey, you're buying lunch today.  BTW, at 71 I REALLY hate bending down to pick up brass.

I use one for my ARs. But not for pistols. I’m that guy walking around bent over picking up all my brass after. But usually I set up a COF with 4-5 spots to shoot from and it all piles around there. If I get pre approved on this mortgage will be moving into 15 acres and I’ve already scoped out the range(s). A batting net sounds like a pretty good idea. Might try that. 

On 12/29/2018 at 4:26 PM, tacomandood said:

So I’m sure all you reloaders out there feel me in the struggle of picking up brass during or after a practice session.

I’ve seen the brass chute CED has come out with and it seems like a pretty sweet idea. Unfortunately, they’re asking $150 for it!

Currently, I use a tarp or moving blanket when I’m out shooting to catch my brass, but since switching to .40, the brass flies a lot further and rolls making this method almost useless. So I got to thinking..

What about using a batting net? It’s basically the same idea as the CED brass chute. The only thing I’d imagine would need to be done is replacing the net to a finer mesh, which can probably be found at Home Depot/Lowe’s pretty easily. Then, come up with a way to funnel the net into a container so the brass doesn’t melt the net.

Here’s the batting net I was thinking of: https://www.hitrunsteal.com/products/portable-baseball-and-softball-hitting-net-5-x-5-large-mouth-net?variant=44674920974

So what do you guys think? Should I just save myself the trouble and fork out the extra for the CED net? Maybe my idea could work? Or do you guys have any other ideas?

I'll tell ya what CED is local to my club and they set it up at a steel challenge match for us to try it and it works freakin awesome!!! If I had the flow I would have one for practice.

So what I found the other night was this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0723DYLNS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_JctlCbVVN6182

For less than $40 it seems like it’d be great, and any brass that doesn’t hit the net would just fall on the inside tarp. Based on how tall you are, it would probably catch most pieces of brass flying out of your gun.

Still though, I just won a good couple hundred from the blackjack table on New Years so I may just get the CED one lol [emoji41]

My only concern with the CED catcher is that it may get taken away by the wind. I know you can stake it, but when I’m trying to get in a quick practice session the last thing I’m trying to do is stake in a net. I guess the time saved from picking up brass would offset that too though.. At least with the golf net I linked you can just add some ammo cans or rocks to the inside to keep it held down.

I’ll let you guys know which one I end up picking up and maybe turn this thread into a review of either. [emoji1745]‍[emoji3603]

Edited by tacomandood

On 12/29/2018 at 4:26 PM, tacomandood said:

That mesh would be way too large. My son has a very similar net for baseball practice. Probably made by the same manufacturer. Most brass would fall through it. 

I used to have a tarp that was made for raking leaves into. It has a draw string that would let you cinch it up like a garbage bag. Something like that might work for what you're wanting to do.   Not the one I had... But might work. 

WJ7z0T5H3G7TYL-20dCCPKuQq1GxVdUT1_eTSS_-

Edited by Yoakam
Add picture

1 hour ago, Yoakam said:

That mesh would be way too large. My son has a very similar net for baseball practice. Probably made by the same manufacturer. Most brass would fall through it. 

Yup, that’s why we’ve discussed replacing the net with a finer mesh or a mesh tarp.

1 hour ago, Yoakam said:

I used to have a tarp that was made for raking leaves into. It has a draw string that would let you cinch it up like a garbage bag. Something like that might work for what you're wanting to do.   Not the one I had... But might work. 

WJ7z0T5H3G7TYL-20dCCPKuQq1GxVdUT1_eTSS_-

I like the idea, but the reason I’m more leaning toward the golf net I linked was because it would still catch brass when you’re a bit further out, but the netting would catch brass in the air if you were to move closer as well. Then, just tip the net to one corner and pick up your brass by handfuls, or cut a hole into one corner and drop them into a bucket. 👍

Edited by tacomandood

11 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Practice with a 9mm, and leave the brass on the ground.     :) 

Club policy is to not leave brass on the ground. A few cases buried in the sand or among weeds is inevitable, but the principle stands.

11 hours ago, perttime said:

Club policy is to not leave brass on the ground. A few cases buried in the sand or among weeds is inevitable, but the principle stands.

One club I shoot at doesn’t care if you leave brass, and another club has you pick up your brass after your squad is finished with the stage.

This is easier at a match when you’ve got several people picking in generally the same areas, but I’m more concerned about what I’m doing when I go out to practice. I hate spending 15-20 minutes picking brass in the dirt after I already spent the last 10-15 minutes packing and loading up all my targets and gear. That’s 30-40 minutes of my time spent doing stuff that doesn’t make me a better shooter.

Practicing with 9mm instead of .40 would be practical if a) there wasn’t a difference in recoil, b) I had the same exact gun in 9mm, and c) I didn’t care about collecting any brass at all. Regardless of how much money you have, brass is brass and there may come another time like earlier in this decade where it was nearly impossible to find. At least, that’s how I look at it.

Obviously there are other benefits to using a brass catcher besides not having to bend down though. Some people just love brass hounding I guess, so more power to you lol 🤷‍♂️

Edited by tacomandood

I bought one of these (https://www.harborfreight.com/double-garage-screen-door-68310.html) on sale with a coupon and just cut it in half to make two of them. I just carry some cut up target sticks to roll it up in and as a little bit of weight on the ends that don't have an aluminium rod in it. They work well even in the wind.

10 hours ago, Jimboslice said:

I bought one of these (https://www.harborfreight.com/double-garage-screen-door-68310.html) on sale with a coupon and just cut it in half to make two of them. I just carry some cut up target sticks to roll it up in and as a little bit of weight on the ends that don't have an aluminium rod in it. They work well even in the wind.

I like this idea

• 4 weeks later...

I use a photo backdrop my wife bought years ago when she was into photography.  It was a pos on eBay that wasn’t what was advertised but the seller was a real piece of work who would retaliate if we left a negative review.  It’s around a 14’ x 24’ cloth blue tarp -not slippery.  Great for a dry or snowy range. Wouldn’t use it when it is wet though.  Simply fold up and unroll in the garage.

• 3 weeks later...
Tacomandood today is your chance if you wanna go for the real thing DAA has it discounted plus Presidents’ Day sale coupon code !!!!

Man, wish I would’ve seen this sooner. Unfortunately, I’ve had some unexpected emergency expenses and couldn’t pick it up anyway.

As far as looking for a suitable substitute, it’s been almost constantly snowing this last ~month now, and I’ve barely been able to even go out and shoot. Go figure it’s gotta snow Wednesday-Friday when I can only take time to shoot Friday-Sunday lol. This is after buying a new gun and targets, and I’m stuck at home dryfiring because of the weather lol.

I’m thinking they might be dropping the brass catcher to that $135 for a little while, and may just end up buying one once this weather clears up a little better. The few times I did go out after my original post, I just threw down a tarp and did it the old-fashioned way. Still, I know for a fact it’d save time buying the CED brass chute since setup is so quick and it automatically dumps it into a collection container for you. Since most of my live fire practice the last few months has been doubles/standards drills, I stand in the same spot 90% of the time or at least end in the same spot on entry/exit drills.