Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Failure To Download Pdf Files

Merlin Orr

I work with PDF format a lot. Most of my work is sent via e mail in the PDF format. I have Adobe ver 6 installed and all updates current. I can still print to PDF and send as attachements. I can open PDF files sent to me as attachments. In the past couple of days I find I can no longer download and open PDF files linked off websites. I have tried several sites - USPSA and others - and can't get it done. Get a blank page with a little box upper left corner with an x in it. WTF?

Merlin, it sounds like a browser plug-in problem to me. If it's IE you are using, try downloading and installing FireFox as a workaround, it handles PDF's OK.

The other thing to do would be to right click on the PDF links instead and select the Download Linked File option from the contextual menu. This will bypass the browser entirely and download the file directly to your machine instead of opening it in the browser with a plug-in. Then use Adobe 6 to open and read it directly.

--

Regards,

It's kinda hard to diagnose computer problems without seeing the computer. Like when my parents call me up and say, "the computer doesn't work, what did you do to it"? And I'll say, "what doesn't work"? and they'll say, "I don't know, it just doesn't work." That's always a lot of fun. :angry: And no, I'm not comparing Merlin to my parents, quite the opposite.

David

All security and privacy settings are on medium. I went to all my editing programs to see if somehow they set themselves to open PDF files - not.

George, may come to FireFox - but damn, in my little world I have been content to run AOL for all the years I have been online. I really hate to change for this one problem, For several reasons including the "OK, You Win" reason.. :(

I agree in that I think Firefox is a much better browser than IE. However, I have had the same problem with Firefox lately. It will not download any pdf files. I have tried re-installing both Firefox and Adobe with no sucess.

Adam