Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrels

infinity

In what sense?

Biggest difference is the M&P uses traditional rifling, Glock uses a form where the lands are round in cross section rather than square which is referred to as polygonal.

There's some theoretical differences between the two styles, and one lingering old wive's tale about lead, but really no functional difference of consequence.

On 12/28/2018 at 8:16 AM, infinity said:

Hi!

Haven't postd in a while. Just wanted to ask if the m&p 1.0 barrels are similar to glocks? Can someone please elaborate? I never had a glock. But i do have a 1.0.

No.

Glocks will shoot around 3” or so with 147s at 25 yards. An M&P 1.0 is lucky if it can stay on paper at all.

This is why Apex semi-drop-in  barrels exist, and are so popular. Factory 1.0s have lousy accuracy. I hope they fixed that in the 2.0s but I don’t believe they really did much.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2019 at 5:10 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

No.

Glocks will shoot around 3” or so with 147s at 25 yards. An M&P 1.0 is lucky if it can stay on paper at all.

This is why Apex semi-drop-in  barrels exist, and are so popular. Factory 1.0s have lousy accuracy. I hope they fixed that in the 2.0s but I don’t believe they really did much.

Oh I wouldn't say that at all. Even as a D grade shooter my 1.0 is all on paper at 25m...and until I had 2 1/2 years off due to health issues and was still in C grade, pretty much all of them were in the A zone. Mate of mine who is MG has no issue at all with a 3" group with his original and the right ammo.

Edited by zhuk

What barrel Smith uses vs Glock in their polymer guns is a mood point to me. With my personal experience as the basis of my opinion;  neither of them (excluding the specific target models) are built with consideration to accuracy potential and for a good reason. Its not cost effective when meeting a price point to take extra steps to gain accuracy when the guns intended design is for close range self defense or tactical Law/Military purposes. You only need a suitable level of accuracy for that purpose..minute of man at 7 yards. So neither are that wowing and both require an aftermarket barrel to gain any respectable target accuracy. Both companies target models put more emphasis on accuracy, and is so reflected on the price for added work, but still not a gain that cant be exemplified by a good quality aftermarket barrel, especially if its an over sized gunsmith fit. 

I cant speak to what S&W actually did on the newer 2.0 variants but its said they improved the reset and a newer barrel update, Apex trigger kit and barrel (or KKM) will remedy anything it lacks.   

I can speak on my M&P9 Full size that was pre 2.0 by about a year, it had a 1 in 10 twist (standard lands & grooves rifling) and only shot 147's at 3" at 20 yards. 115 or 124gr pills opened up to 5" To prove my point after I installed a drop in KKM  barrel in my M&P9 it can group my 124gr load into 1-1/4" at 20 yards.