Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 - If I want to keep single action pull about the same, but reduce double action?

minnesota1

Shadow 2 - If I want to keep single action pull about the same, but reduce double action what needs to be done?  I don't mind the single action pull although it may be able to go down a tad, but the double action I'd like to reduce out if possible.  What are the options?

Thanks.

@minnesota1 Is your shadow 2 Stock? In regards to your question, when you mean same, do you mean trigger weight or trigger pull distance? If it’s trigger pull weight, I agree with the above and a lightened main spring may be what you’re looking for.  I have short fingers and I installed The Reach reduction kit and it pulls the trigger a few millimeter back for the double action. The trigger is permanently more reward in the gun. it also shortens the reset of the single action. 

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Wrecks said:

If you get a lighter main spring (mine is 11#) be sure to get the lighter firing pin spring and extended firing pin.

Does the extended firing pin really matter if you're only using Federal primers? It's not obtainable where I am at the moment.

Also, I installed a 13# spring but it's still too heavy and is causing pain in my hand/down the carpal part of my wrist; how much lighter is the 11#? I have the option of buying 9/10# springs as well (already have the lighter firing pin spring)

The reach reduction kit is not an option for IPSC, unfortunately.

22 hours ago, zhuk said:

Does the extended firing pin really matter if you're only using Federal primers? It's not obtainable where I am at the moment.

Also, I installed a 13# spring but it's still too heavy and is causing pain in my hand/down the carpal part of my wrist; how much lighter is the 11#? I have the option of buying 9/10# springs as well (already have the lighter firing pin spring)

I use a CGW 11.5# main spring, factory firing pin and factory pin spring. It lights off everything I put through it including CCI, Winchester and others..  I would NOT go any lighter than that for reliability without changing other things.

Edited by Flyingpig

10 hours ago, Flyingpig said:

I use a CGW 11.5# main spring, factory firing pin and factory pin spring. It lights off everything I put through it including CCI, Winchester and others..  I would NOT go any lighter than that for reliability without changing other things.

9 hours ago, Magictalent said:

I am shooting the #10 with lighter FP spring.

No need to use federal primer.

7.8 DA/2.75 SA

Cheers guys, I appreciate the info. I do have the option of an extended firing pin so will keep that in mind...pretty much everyone uses Federals here so that's a positive. That 7.8 DA sounds reasonably doable...coming from years of shooting an M&P which probably started out about 7 but over the years has got down to just a fraction over 5lbs lol there's obviously going to be an adjustment period, plus the fact I have a bit of a wrist issue.

Good to know I can get it down a fair bit.

Edited by zhuk

You can get extended firing pins from ipscstore online for a reasonable price.

See Steve Clothier at the range. He has a stack of springs and I’m sure he won’t need all of them. He had some 10lb main springs, lightened trigger return springs and light firing pin springs that will work wonders.

Try these first and you may not need the ext FP if you only use Fed’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My S2 has an 11.5 main spring, 11lb recoil spring, and a rami firing pin spring. All other parts are stock. I am lighting off CCI's with no issues. I believe the extended firing pin is optional. DA pull is 6.5lb, SA 2.75lb.

Re other options.

If you want to experiment - compress the hammer spring a litle on a screwdriver or rod and heat it with a propane torch until it is red. Re-temper it by dropping it in oil. You will have a significantly lighter double action.

Do NOT do this for a carry gun or a gun that has to meet competition rules.

Stretch the spring longer if you have gone too short for reliable ignition.

Buying a lighter spring is easiest, but this method works if you can't find a light enough spring.

Edited by DownUnder

10 hours ago, Matt1 said:

You can get extended firing pins from ipscstore online for a reasonable price.

See Steve Clothier at the range. He has a stack of springs and I’m sure he won’t need all of them. He had some 10lb main springs, lightened trigger return springs and light firing pin springs that will work wonders.

Try these first and you may not need the ext FP if you only use Fed’s.

hey cheers Matt...I'll see if i can get to track Steve down, much appreciated.

48 minutes ago, AK86 said:

My S2 has an 11.5 main spring, 11lb recoil spring, and a rami firing pin spring. All other parts are stock. I am lighting off CCI's with no issues. I believe the extended firing pin is optional. DA pull is 6.5lb, SA 2.75lb.

Those are impressive numbers heh...many thanks for the info

4 hours ago, zhuk said:

Those are impressive numbers heh...many thanks for the info

I checked my notes DA is actually 6.8lb. Polishing all the internals makes a noticeable difference as well. DA pull is so smooth its like it's riding on bearings. The only thing I didn't like about the 11.5 hammer spring is it made the SA pull mushy compared to even the 13lb. Probably going to drop in a CGW comp hammer down the road. I also have a fully cajunized SP01 with a 13lb hammer spring and the DA is siginificantly heavier but the SA is lower and more crisp even with the firing pin block. I need to put that one on a trigger scale. I just ordered an 11.5lb hammer spring for it to try for it as well.

Edited by AK86

Yeah I'm confused at the purpose of what they are asking as well.

In terms of weight reduction or distance reduction.  
Weight obviously like everyone says, lighter hammerspring and ext fp etc. 

but for distance you'd have to do something like the cajun reach reduction kit.

On 1/17/2019 at 6:55 AM, AK86 said:

I checked my notes DA is actually 6.8lb. Polishing all the internals makes a noticeable difference as well. DA pull is so smooth its like it's riding on bearings. The only thing I didn't like about the 11.5 hammer spring is it made the SA pull mushy compared to even the 13lb. Probably going to drop in a CGW comp hammer down the road. I also have a fully cajunized SP01 with a 13lb hammer spring and the DA is siginificantly heavier but the SA is lower and more crisp even with the firing pin block. I need to put that one on a trigger scale. I just ordered an 11.5lb hammer spring for it to try for it as well.

Thanks AK. . .I now have tried an 11lb spring and it gets an average pull of 7.5 which on paper sounded OK, but in practice, yeah still just that bit too heavy. The SA is still crisp however and averages a ridiculously light (to me) 2.9ibs. I'm gonna try a #10 or 9# and have the extended fp just in case. Only wish we could do polishing but alas nope lol

On 1/17/2019 at 8:30 AM, Matt1 said:

I’m running a 6lb DA and 2lb SA with a 10lb main + lighter TRS. I do run an ext FP & light FPS because I train with S&B (also lights up CCI’s).

Cheers Matt, that sounds pretty good. I will definitely look into a lighter TRS as well. Appreciate the info.

On 1/14/2019 at 3:05 PM, zhuk said:

It's probably fine but you should probably test it for a few hundred rounds just to be sure. Every gun is unique.

4 hours ago, Wrecks said:

It's probably fine but you should probably test it for a few hundred rounds just to be sure. Every gun is unique.

No worries, cheers Wrecks. Will get the chance to try it out after our Nats in early March...just collating info preemptively now

On 1/16/2019 at 3:41 PM, DownUnder said:

If you want to experiment - compress the hammer spring a litle on a screwdriver or rod and heat it with a propane torch until it is red. Re-temper it by dropping it in oil. You will have a significantly lighter double action.

Do NOT do this for a carry gun or a gun that has to meet competition rules.

Stretch the spring longer if you have gone too short for reliable ignition.

Buying a lighter spring is easiest, but this method works if you can't find a light enough spring.

Why wouldn't it be permitted in new IPSC handgun rules for example? Don't know about USPSA

On 1/26/2019 at 3:01 AM, xdf3 said:

Why wouldn't it be permitted in new IPSC handgun rules for example? Don't know about USPSA

I'd hazard a guess it might be OK...but lighter springs (OEM) have always been OK in IPSC rules. I wouldn't see how altering a preexisting spring would be any different however.