Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alpha X holster issue - gun stuck sometimes on draw

abigger04

Just switched from a DAA Racemaster holster to an Alpha X holster.  My RM has worked just fine, but I wanted to try out the new Alpha X.  Anyway, I'm using the same gun with the same block assembly on the Alpha X.  While dry-firing earlier, however, my gun will occasionally hang up inside the holster on the draw (1 in 4 or so).  I switched everything back to my RM and encountered no problems.

I've inspected the Alpha X inside and out and I don't see anything unusual.  I'm perplexed... is there a fix for this?  What is the issue here?

I had the same issue, so I removed the block and sanded the BACK side of it where it contacts the body of the holster, which allows the block to come up further so that the trigger guard hook moves further out of the way.   Don't monkey with the hook side more than necessary to contour it to your trigger guard or it may not retain the gun well.

Before you do any of that, check the angle of your holster.  It is possible it is canted back more than the RM.  If so, you are not drawing straight back.  Instead, you are drawing up and back.  That will make it a less smooth draw, and sometime stick.  Since you were having no problems with the block in the RM, it should not be the block causing the problem.

I checked the angle of the holster and positioned more in line with my draw stroke -- this helped.  However, when I installed the thigh pad attachment to the holster that seemed to resolve all of my issues.  For such a cheap plastic component, I'm not sure why they wouldn't just include that with the purchase of the holster itself.

On 12/29/2018 at 6:29 AM, zzt said:

Before you do any of that, check the angle of your holster.  It is possible it is canted back more than the RM.  If so, you are not drawing straight back.  Instead, you are drawing up and back.  That will make it a less smooth draw, and sometime stick.  Since you were having no problems with the block in the RM, it should not be the block causing the problem.

This.  I was having the same problem after moving from the RM to the Alpha X. I corrected the angle and no issues with it since. 

DAA specifically says the the block marked SVSTL should be used for Cheely e2 and SV grips.  When you order it, select SV Aluminum or Steel from the menu.  Supposedly it works with the PT EVO grip, but DAA has a new insert specifically for that grip.

I ordered mine from Ben Stoeger Pro Shop and i specifically ordered the insert for the PT Evo grip...couple other guys i shoot with that have EVO's have had the same problem...i am guessing DAA designed the thigh pad because of the issues...from what i hear it fixes the problem.

Edited by JJB05

12 minutes ago, JJB05 said:

I ordered mine from Ben Stoeger Pro Shop and i specifically ordered the insert for the PT Evo grip...couple other guys i shoot with that have EVO's have had the same problem...i am guessing DAA designed the thigh pad because of the issues...from what i hear it fixes the problem.

So you got to order another part because it doesn't work correctly?  

I'm not trying to stir up crap. I'm about to order a race holster. I'm considering the Alpha X. It will be for a PT grip. 

yeah...the original poster had sent me a video from DAA that shows the clip and how it works.  i will post the link here.  It seems DAA tries to explain they came up with the part for comfort but i have a feeling the steel grips were causing the holster to angle out a bit causing the gun to stick sometimes when drawing because of the angle. The OP has the thigh pad, and i don't want to speak for him, but said it helped alleviate the problem.  

It is a simple fix.  The thigh pad keeps the holster aligned with your body.  Like JJB said, a heavy all steel open gun can cause the holster to angle outward without the thigh pad attachment, which can cause a hiccup with your draw.  I've tested the holster with the thigh pad attachment in dry fire several times and I don't have this issue any longer.  It is a good holster and its real easy to adjust.  The thigh pad is indispensable though.

1 minute ago, abigger04 said:

It is a simple fix.  The thigh pad keeps the holster aligned with your body.  Like JJB said, a heavy all steel open gun can cause the holster to angle outward without the thigh pad attachment, which can cause a hiccup with your draw.  I've tested the holster with the thigh pad attachment in dry fire several times and I don't have this issue any longer.  It is a good holster and its real easy to adjust.  The thigh pad is indispensable though.

Thanks, thats good to know...mine just shipped so should have it in a couple days and looking forward to trying it.  

5 hours ago, B_RAD said:

I'm not trying to stir up crap. I'm about to order a race holster. I'm considering the Alpha X. It will be for a PT grip. 

Here is what DAA had to say about that.  

"We have changed the geometry of the PT insert, we initially used the geometry that our other inserts had but found the PT grips would stick in the insert, make the draw not smooth. When the guns would stick customers would force the gun out and in turn break the slide lock. We have changed the location of the pins that hold everything inside the insert, the new location allows more engagement of the slide lock, which makes it much stronger, not allowing it to break as easy."

Make sure you get the new PT block.  Specify that when ordering.

I agree the thigh pad is essential.  I had no draw problems without it, but it sure makes wearing the holster more comfortable.

I have the same problem with the DAA Alpha X with PT block sticking. Super frustrating given the high cost of the holster. Even more frustrating that the solution is to buy more product (thigh pad).

I’ve since ordered a Kydex holster. I’m anxiously waiting delivery.

25 minutes ago, zzt said:

"We have changed the geometry of the PT insert, we initially used the geometry that our other inserts had but found the PT grips would stick in the insert, make the draw not smooth. When the guns would stick customers would force the gun out and in turn break the slide lock. We have changed the location of the pins that hold everything inside the insert, the new location allows more engagement of the slide lock, which makes it much stronger, not allowing it to break as easy."

I agree the thigh pad is essential.  I had no draw problems without it, but it sure makes wearing the holster more comfortable.

How do I tell if I own the new style PT evo block? 

2 hours ago, zzt said:

I ordered another insert for the PT a couple months ago and mine still sticks...was just dry firing an hour ago and almost threw my Nemesis against the wall it was getting so annoying...i believe mine is a new one but not sure....my thigh pad can't come soon enough.

14 hours ago, abigger04 said:

How do I tell if I own the new style PT evo block? 

As far as I can tell, you have to compare it to another non-PT block.  If the pins are in the same locations, it's an old block.  If different; new.

I had this same issue on my Alpha X only with a revolver. It's interesting to hear that the same block behaves differently in the racemaster vs the alpha x. I wound up removing material from the insert block until it fit. 

Well just went through a full dry-fire session and i can happily report that i did not have any sticking issues now that the DAA thigh pad was installed...simple snap-on part and the situation is fixed...what a load off my mind now...thanks for all the input from everyone.  If you have an Alpha-X holster and are experiencing the gun sticking when you draw order this now and it will solve the issue, especially if you have a steel gripped gun. They should include this with the holster.

31 minutes ago, Adamj said:

Completely agree that this should be included with the holster. I don't want to have to add a piece of molded plastic for expensive holster to work. When I ordered mine they were out of stock and I had to order from a shop in Australia. 

I got lucky and mine was in stock and got it in a couple days.  They should realize the flaw and rectify it with subsequent orders...just so glad i don't have to worry if the gun is gonna come out correctly now.