Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No new screw ups/Here is one!

gerritm

USPSA match running a 2 part stage with PCC. First string  start back behind shooting area, step in shoot 2-left, 2-right, & 1 straight ahead, mandatory re-load go past walls hiding front targets and shoot 2 left, 2-right, & other one straight ahead. 2nd string reverse from the front of the shooting area. 

Simple memory stage, right? Shooting PCC, picked up Glock 31 round mag off ground after 1st string, shoved in mag pouch, prepare for 2nd string. Shoot 2 front left/right, 1-straight, move back,  perform the mandatory reload with the dropped mag to finish & guess what, mag won't go in, after beating on bottom finally got it to seat & finish, of course tanked the stage. ULSC and a chunk of dirt/grass falls out with mag & round in chamber is very tight to eject.

Moral of the story check the dropped mag for debris before putting away in mag pouch cause Murphy's law says they will always drop feed lips first into the only mud/sand/dirt/puddle on the stage.

gerritm

I learned not to use a mag after It hit the ground, even if it just fell out of my mag pouch.  And I also learned not to put my mags back in my mag pouch after a run. I take them back to my bag to check and reload . There is nothing like pulling an empty mag or a partial full mag out of your mag pouch in the middle of a stage .

It was fun.

MD said it was from Nationals and one of his favorite stages, but was not  used as a classifier. I think he added a couple of targets and changed the wall set up slightly to make it a stage. But shot the same way. 2 targets left & right in front of wall and 2 behind left & right and the kept the 2 straight ahead. Virginia count. Amazing to see how many screwed it up. Seems pretty easy till the buzzer went off.

gerritm

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/31/2018 at 7:33 AM, laz2011 said:

I learned not to use a mag after It hit the ground, even if it just fell out of my mag pouch.  And I also learned not to put my mags back in my mag pouch after a run. I take them back to my bag to check and reload . There is nothing like pulling an empty mag or a partial full mag out of your mag pouch in the middle of a stage .

True...you do that once...had a match with two classifiers in a row and on the second classifier  put a mag back in my pouch that i dropped from the previous stage...used it for a reload and lo and behold it was a round short.  Learned from my mistake and don't do that anymore.

On 1/22/2019 at 1:07 PM, JJB05 said:

True...you do that once...had a match with two classifiers in a row and on the second classifier  put a mag back in my pouch that i dropped from the previous stage...used it for a reload and lo and behold it was a round short.  Learned from my mistake and don't do that anymore.

Yeah, it was funny, at last year's section match, there was a guy on my squad who we told not to put a partial mag back into a mag pouch, and he started arguing with us about it until like 3+ different people, me included, all said something to the effect of "seriously, please learn from our mistakes; we've all tanked stages due to making the EXACT mistake we're trying to keep you from making RIGHT NOW."  He eventually listened to reason, but I'm still not sure he really believed us.  :)

6 hours ago, olstyn said:

Yeah, it was funny, at last year's section match, there was a guy on my squad who we told not to put a partial mag back into a mag pouch, and he started arguing with us about it until like 3+ different people, me included, all said something to the effect of "seriously, please learn from our mistakes; we've all tanked stages due to making the EXACT mistake we're trying to keep you from making RIGHT NOW."  He eventually listened to reason, but I'm still not sure he really believed us.  :)

Ha...yeah should have just learned from making the mistake...more powerful to learn it on your own