Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mrbulletfeeder doesn’t keep up.

Currently I run a 1050 with a autodrive pro. When I’m running at 2400 RPH I’ve found that my mrbulletfeeder doesn’t keep up and I need to back off the speed to 2100 RPH or pause the autodrive to let it catch up. 

Im pretty sure I have the bullet feeder adjusted right, I get 1 upside down bullet per maybe 10000 rounds. But I’ve noticed sometimes it will advance 15-20 bullet slots without catching a bullet, and that’s when it falls behind. Are there any tricks or tips for avoiding this?

Never had a problem with mine keeping up and I run the bulletfeeder at about half speed.   Do you have the speed ran up and not at the slowest setting?

When I set mine up I filled it up with bullets, climbed up on the bench and let it run while I watched and adjusted accordingly.  It shouldn't be going that far in between catching bullets so my quess would be that it just needs some fine tuning OR you are running it too slow to keep up with the autodrive.  Two questions:

What caliber are you using and do you have the feeder pretty full when this problem is happening?

I run the bulletfeeder at full speed. I’m loading a 9mm 147 gr flat point bullet. I’ve noticed that it’s more likely to have runs of not catching bullets when it’s full.  I generally start with the bullet feeder full, and add every time I add primers to the 1050. 

Edited by Rich406

Mine definitely doesn't go 15-20 bullets between picking up a good one.  5 spaces at the most and that's pretty rare.

I would definitely advise running it while watching the collator in order to see what exactly is happening.  I'll bet a slight adjustment of your collator angle or one of the spaces is all you need to get the MBF running like a boss.

22 hours ago, Clint U66 said:

Never had a problem with mine keeping up and I run the bulletfeeder at about half speed. 

Could be that smooth is fast in this case. Half speed with no missed bullets, or fewer missed bullets, or more consistency between hopper full and hopper low, might win? 

43 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Could be that smooth is fast in this case. Half speed with no missed bullets, or fewer missed bullets, or more consistency between hopper full and hopper low, might win? 

You could be on to something.  I have never ran mine at full speed but I may tinker around a bit this weekend and see what the difference is at various speeds.  Kinda makes sense that when you run it wide open it doesn't give things time to fall into place.

7 hours ago, joelogic said:

Do you have the tilt angle right?  I fill mine with 1 cup of bullets.  I have only gone up to 2100 but it doesn't fall behind.

I have the angle set so that I never get upside down bullets. I made up 10000  rounds last weekend and had 1 upside down bullet

That said, I am not sure if the angle effects bullets being loaded into slots, I will have to mess with that and find out, I will try running on less than half speed as well.

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

At 2100 it keeps up fine, it’s only at 2400 that I start to have issues. 

46 minutes ago, Rich406 said:

I have the angle set so that I never get upside down bullets. I made up 10000  rounds last weekend and had 1 upside down bullet

Could you tell us how you adjusted the angle to do that?  Did you lean it farther back (top/back rim away from you), or more forward, or tilted more to the left or right?  TIA...

12 minutes ago, teros135 said:

Could you tell us how you adjusted the angle to do that?  Did you lean it farther back (top/back rim away from you), or more forward, or tilted more to the left or right?  TIA...

A steeper incline is key. It really helps to run it closer to 50 or so degrees as opposed to 40-45.

44 minutes ago, teros135 said:

What MemphisMechanic said, I’m pretty sure I’m at 50-55 degrees. I found that it was way more consistent with the steeper angle, especially with flat point bullets. 

When I was adjusting it though, I didn’t even consider that a steeper angle might lower the bullet output. I’ll definitely check that out and report back. 

1 hour ago, Rich406 said:

What MemphisMechanic said, I’m pretty sure I’m at 50-55 degrees. I found that it was way more consistent with the steeper angle, especially with flat point bullets. 

When I was adjusting it though, I didn’t even consider that a steeper angle might lower the bullet output. I’ll definitely check that out and report back. 

Just to clarify, are y'all talking about inclining it backward, so the bullets nestle more firmly against the collator plate?

Have you adjusted the spacers as per the DAA videos to ensure enough of a shelf exists to allow a bullet pointed upwards to ride over it while one pointed downwards drops down and flips?

I have noticed with mine that when the number of bullets in my collator reaches a certain amount (apprx 1/3 full) that the collator plate has troubles picking up bullets.  Adding more bullets fixes this.  Also having anything on the collator plate to agitate the bullets solves this.  Sticking my hand up in the collator in the remaining pile of bulletwhile it is running works.  Fortunately what usually happens is a bullet ends up riding in each length-wise groove on the collator plate and agitates the remaining bullets enough to drop into the spaces on the outside of the collator plate.  I usually run each reloading session with a ton of bullets in my collator in order to stay above this critical mass of bullets.

Is this perhaps what is happening to you?  The speed of the collator plate makes no difference in this case.  Either add more bullets or put something on the plate that agitates the pile of bullets.

15 hours ago, V2plus25 said:

Have you adjusted the spacers as per the DAA videos to ensure enough of a shelf exists to allow a bullet pointed upwards to ride over it while one pointed downwards drops down and flips?

I have noticed with mine that when the number of bullets in my collator reaches a certain amount (apprx 1/3 full) that the collator plate has troubles picking up bullets.  Adding more bullets fixes this.  Also having anything on the collator plate to agitate the bullets solves this.  Sticking my hand up in the collator in the remaining pile of bulletwhile it is running works.  Fortunately what usually happens is a bullet ends up riding in each length-wise groove on the collator plate and agitates the remaining bullets enough to drop into the spaces on the outside of the collator plate.  I usually run each reloading session with a ton of bullets in my collator in order to stay above this critical mass of bullets.

Is this perhaps what is happening to you?  The speed of the collator plate makes no difference in this case.  Either add more bullets or put something on the plate that agitates the pile of bullets.

I don't think its either of those things. I've noticed that it actually runs better when its half full or less. I get fewer bullets when its completely full.

I run my MBF on my Mark7-1050 pro at 1/2-2/3 speed, it keeps up easily to a speed of 2200/hr loading 124 plated round nose. (Speed set a 2400 but with a dwell pause resulting in 2200 or so ‘real’ speed.)

maybe post a video of your MBF I]running.....that might help explore what’s happening....

C