Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm reloading problems

redpillregret

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, redpillregret said:

ID stated it wasn’t a sizing problem. He’s attempting to state it is a COAL problem. It is a sizing problem. It is also impossible to segregate brass to ensure brass is only fired from one gun and lives with that gun. That notion is asinine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless the floor is clean and you are the only one firing...

I'm not experienced enough to tell you where the problem is, however I'd suggest you take note of what [mention=46348]IDescribe[/mention] recommends.  At the very least, confirm they are not applicable to your situation.

Again, reread the thread. I have ensured COAL is appropriate. That is not the issue.

Update:

Disassembled several rounds that would not plunk and failed the gauge. Ran rounds through the RCBS sizing die and reloaded. These rounds again failed.

Installed the Lee U die, disassembled the remained of the failed rounds and ran them back through the press. Viola, these rounds plunked and passed the gauge.

Again disassembled the failed rounds and ran them through the press with the Lee die installed. These rounds now pass both tests.

Problem solved! I ran several more rounds through and it seems to be working perfectly.

Thanks for the suggestions!

This should save me a lot of time in that I’ll be confident each and every practice round won’t need gauged. I have 1,000 rounds to run tomorrow to get started on a new pistol.

I'm curious if the standard Lee sizing die would have also worked.

I'm not suggesting you go out and buy one and do the experiment!  lol... Just a thought I had...

Actually now that I type this I don't think any sizer other than the RCBS was ever tried was it?

So we don't know that the U-die was absolutely necessary to solve the problem.

Only that the original sizer was not adequate. Possibly defective.

Edited by ddc

I'm curious if the standard Lee sizing die would have also worked.

I'm not suggesting you go out and buy one and do the experiment!  lol... Just a thought I had...

Actually now that I type this I don't think any sizer other than the RCBS was ever tried was it?

So we don't know that the U-die was absolutely necessary to solve the problem.

Only that the original sizer was not adequate. Possibly defective.

Yep exactly. But the U-die seemed well recommended so that’s what I went with.

The original size was adjusted as deep as I could and it was actually showing wear on the bottom of the die as well as the shell plate. I’m glad to stop using it.

So far with the new die I’m at 100% pass rate for the first 1,000 rounds plus. I’m pretty confident in the process. At worst, I’m over working 9mm brass but I shoot fairly mild loads and end up losing quite a bit of brass at matches (where you want to be careful anyway because you’ll end up with 9mm major brass mixed in that’s asking for trouble).

2 hours ago, redpillregret said:

Yep exactly. But the U-die seemed well recommended so that’s what I went with.

The original size was adjusted as deep as I could and it was actually showing wear on the bottom of the die as well as the shell plate. I’m glad to stop using it.

So far with the new die I’m at 100% pass rate for the first 1,000 rounds plus. I’m pretty confident in the process. At worst, I’m over working 9mm brass but I shoot fairly mild loads and end up losing quite a bit of brass at matches (where you want to be careful anyway because you’ll end up with 9mm major brass mixed in that’s asking for trouble).

You did the right thing. I have a standard LEE sizer as well and with certain brass and bullet combos it still allowed setback on hard jams in the gun.

I didnt read through every reply so I apologize if this was already mentioned; If your bullets are of standard diameter for the cartridge you should be looking at concentricity issues. So look at your loads and see if the bullet bulges out the case more in one area vs other areas. This indicates the bullet is canted from the seating operation increasing the loaded diameter.  I had this years ago on my 38 loads hindering monclip reloads from dropping in freely. My solution was a Hornady floating alignment sleeve seating die. They work very well and now use them for every caliber and never had the problem again. Another possible cause is deformed bullets if they are cast/coated, if they are plated or jacketed its less of a chance but rule it out. Pull measurements on the diameters of your loose bullets at several points to see if they are deformed from round to oval anything more than a .002" variance would be suspect. Again its a longshot but have seen it.