Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best competitive shooting magazine

Stepmother got me a bunch of gun related magazines for Christmas and told me she would get me a year subscription for any mag I wanted, so I come to you fine folks on here. What is the best magazine for someone getting into competitive shooting, 3 gun currently soon will do some USPSA matches and in the future maybe some long range precision matches.

There really aren't any shooting magazines that are still relevant, much less one targeted at competitive shooting.  The only one I can think of would be Front Sight which is the USPSA magazine, and it comes with your USPSA membership. I would suggest you ask your stepmother for a USPSA membership ($40 IIRC) which includes the subscription and that would be far more valuable in the long run.

3 hours ago, ClangClang said:

I would suggest you ask your stepmother for a USPSA membership ($40 IIRC) which includes the subscription and that would be far more valuable in the long run.

That USPSA membership along with an IDPA membership, which will get you IDPA's Tactical Journal, are your best bets for competitive shooting related content.

12 hours ago, MustangMan said:

In that case, which would be the best gun mag to get a subscription for?

“Recoil” doesn’t suck nearly as much as the major players. But it’s expensive and comes out less frequently.

Have her get you a subscription to https://www.practicalshootingtraininggroup.com/ instead.

The content I’ve seen is top notch.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

5 hours ago, jhgtyre said:

an IDPA membership, which will get you IDPA's Tactical Journal...

The tac journal has absolutely the worst content I’ve ever seen. Robert Ray writes at perhaps a 9th grade level, and the articles sent in to review The Des Moines 1st Regional Charity Classic aren’t any more readable.

49 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

The tac journal has absolutely the worst content I’ve ever seen. Robert Ray writes at perhaps a 9th grade level, and the articles sent in to review The Des Moines 1st Regional Charity Classic aren’t any more readable.

Yet it is still better than most of what you'll find at newstands and it is competition shooting oriented, which is what the OP was seeking out.  Will it help you fight your way from Orange Mound to Germantown?  Probably not, but it still has some useful info if you shoot IDPA.

18 minutes ago, herky said:

Some of the older shooters will remember (my 72 year old mind doesn't remember the name) a competition geared magazine years ago.  Didn't last long tho, as the market place evidently was not ready.

gun games? if so it didn't last probably because you never get your issues from the subscription.

Edited by Powder Finger

GunGames, there’s a .pdf of the first edition online on another forum.

I think a lot of people subscribed to it but disappeared after a short while. There’s probably a market for a good online shooting sports magazine, but coming up with all the articles and photos for something regular may be an issue. 

1 hour ago, BritinUSA said:

There’s probably a market for a good online shooting sports magazine, but coming up with all the articles and photos for something regular may be an issue. 

Right! And coming up with a bunch more articles and photos would be the second issue, etc., etc.

If anyone could do it, it would be BritinUSA!

20 hours ago, Steve RA said:

Not much on Cowboy Action competitions.   :D

That's 'cause ya skeered 'em all away, Hoss. You shoulda let someone else win once in a while so they think it's possible if they just get more SAA gadgets.  😜

15 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

GunGames, there’s a .pdf of the first edition online on another forum.

I think a lot of people subscribed to it but disappeared after a short while. There’s probably a market for a good online shooting sports magazine, but coming up with all the articles and photos for something regular may be an issue. 

Googling for GunGames magazine finds it OK. Too large to post here.

edit:

Love the back cover ad:

like a girl.jpg

Edited by perttime