Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow2 Tune Up WOW!!

JDIllon

I just put the Reach Reduction Kit, Ultra Lite firing pin kit w/ 11# black hammer spring and trigger Return Spring and floating trigger pin, in my Shadow2. What a difference, 2# trigger pull on SA, under 6# on DA. But the biggest difference is the trigger take up in SA, it went from over 1/4 inch to almost nothing. It really made a difference in the way it shoots. The parts all came from Cajun and I did the work myself with a little help from Thomas and David at Cajun. JD

Did you take pictures of the whole process?  Been saving up for such a Tune up.  I have pretty much everything except the short reach kit and floating trigger pin.

I manage to with shooting and some polishing to get it to 3.5# SA and 7#DA.   

Sorry I didn't take pictures. All I did was go to YouTube and look at several video's of what I wanted to do. Believe me they do a much better job than I could do!!! The Reach Reduction Kit is expensive!! but it has the parts that reduce the take up on the trigger in SA. You can just buy the disconnect, for about $55 but for another $33, you get the trigger so you can adjust both SA and DA trigger settings. Just my .02 I did have to fit the disconnect, because when I put the gun together, it would not release the hammer in SA. but with Cagun's help, it was no big deal. The main thing I was trying to get rid of was the long take up in SA. If I can be of any help? you are welcome to contact me. I also did a little polishing while I was in there.  I have an Accu Shadow, and the trigger on my Shadow2, now feels almost as good as the Accu Shadow.  JD

Edited by JDIllon

There are some others, but these are the ones that I mainly used. It went really smooth, you just need to take your time and go slow. And I can't say enough about the folks at CGW, they answer the phone!! and are ready to help any way they can. AND were very helpful with any question that I had.  JD

Edited by JDIllon

1 hour ago, dccarper said:

Is it still production legal after the mod?

Yes, legal. USPSA Rulebook Appendix D4, 21.6: 

Sights, firing pins, firing pin retainers, pins, extractors, magazine releases, slide stops, thumb safeties, triggers, hammers, bushings, and ejectors MAY be replaced with OFM or aftermarket parts.

All the cgw stuff is not hard to put in. Once you take the hammer trigger and sear cage out it isn't hard to understand how to reassemble. I put a race hammer 11# mainspring, barrel bushing, lighter recoil spring, cgw shadow 2 disconnecter and I go back and forth from single to double action. The cgw barrel bushing makes a ton of difference. If you look at the parts layout and videos all the work can be done at home. 

Nope, no instructions other than on setting up the trigger. But it is all pretty much straight forward. It's just replacing stock parts with there (CGW) parts. And the info you need is in the video's that I showed above. Most of them even show the replacing of the part with the CGW part.  Also if you need any help, the guys at CGW are ready and willing to help. My disconnector did need some tuning, and Thomas at CGW walked me thru it on the phone. That is one of the biggest reasons that I went with CGW parts!! They answer the phone and are more than happy to help you no matter how many questions you have.  Just my .02  JD

No, just the opposite! It took almost all of the pre-travel out. That is what I was told it would do, and that is what I wanted to get rid of. In fact, mine almost has to little pre-travel.  

I always thought it was kinda ridiculous that you buy a competition gun like the Shadow 2 and still have to put a decent amount of money into it to get it right....i thought the trigger from the factory is pretty heavy...especially the DA.  I put a bunch of Cajun parts in my SP-01 shadow and it made all the difference, like night and day from the original factory version.  Congrats.

2 hours ago, JJB05 said:

I always thought it was kinda ridiculous that you buy a competition gun like the Shadow 2 and still have to put a decent amount of money into it to get it right....i thought the trigger from the factory is pretty heavy...especially the DA.  I put a bunch of Cajun parts in my SP-01 shadow and it made all the difference, like night and day from the original factory version.  Congrats.

I think the it really depends on individual preferences. The only thing it really needs is polishing and that’s not even necessary, or hard to do. If you want a lighter trigger pull you can just cut 2-3 coils and the DA will drop to ~ 8 lbs and still light everything. 

Out of the box you would be hard to pressed to find many guns which are similar to the Shadow 2 in terms of being competiton ready. Just my 0.02

9 hours ago, Jayohee said:

I think the it really depends on individual preferences. The only thing it really needs is polishing and that’s not even necessary, or hard to do. If you want a lighter trigger pull you can just cut 2-3 coils and the DA will drop to ~ 8 lbs and still light everything. 

Out of the box you would be hard to pressed to find many guns which are similar to the Shadow 2 in terms of being competiton ready. Just my 0.02

I don't disagree with that at all...the gun is awesome out of the box, but just not sure anybody would want a 10-12 DA pull on a competition gun out of the box.

25 minutes ago, Nathanb said:

I don’t believe my s2 was that high out of the box. More around the 8lb mark. Still heavy but not ungodly

Thats not bad.  I had an SP-01 that i had Cajunized.  Out of the box it was awful..the DA was crazy heavy.  It is sweet now.

Mine out of the box was 11 to almost 12 lb DA.  But with the first 500 it drop pretty significantly.  Now with no add in parts but with several thousand rounds and very light polish it is at 7.  

Cant wait to cajunize it.  Saving for it.  

45 minutes ago, 2MoreChains said:

I have one coming that should be at my FFL this week.  My plan right now is to just re-spring  the gun (main, recoil, TRS, ext firing pin and FP spring) then go shoot it a bunch.   Comp hammer and disco from CGW if I feel like it needs it.  

Congrats on it...but that got to my initial point that you spend $1200-1300 on a competition gun then have to re-spring, etc.  It should come with the Competition hammer....dont get me wrong i love CZ's.  

I think the issue is that while everyone here knows it is a competition gun, there are a ton of people who buy Shadow 2s as just range toys and would complain to CZ if they got a brand new gun that was having consistent light strikes with *ammo X* because CZ shipped it with all the highly tuned parts. As much as we would love to think that CZ caters just to us they have to keep the general consumer market happy and their brand in a positive light from that perspective. 

Now, considering the Shadow 2 is a gun tailored for Production, ideally CZ should ship it with at least a couple alternatives to the factory hammer/recoil springs with a disclaimer that says something like, "these are intended for competition use only and may result in reliability issues", kind of like how the TSO/CM come with slide stop pins that don't allow slide lock. 

2 hours ago, JJB05 said:

Congrats on it...but that got to my initial point that you spend $1200-1300 on a competition gun then have to re-spring, etc.  It should come with the Competition hammer....dont get me wrong i love CZ's.  

Fair enough, but I spent $825 on the S2 (buying it used) and another $50 from CGW to re-spring it.  For another $130 I can add hammer and disco (if I feel the need).  But it may be good to go with just the stock hammer and disco, that’s why I want to shoot it before deciding.  

But consider also that I’ve re-sprung just about every gun that I shoot in USPSA...  My first STI 2011, I replaced all the springs, replaced the beavertail (bc I don’t like the narrow scallop cuts that STI uses on the tang of their beavertail), and had a  gunsmith fit an EGW hammer and sear.  Ditto on all my STI 1911’s that I shoot in SS.  On the two striker fired guns I compete with (G34 and P10C) I also changed out recoil spring, striker spring, striker, trigger shoe, guide rod, and sights.  

I think comp shooters are no different than a lot of car people.  We like to tinker.